• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Another Ahab

Any major accident will cause your body to rapidly head towards the dash, even with a seat belt. The curved dash directs your legs downward. The location of the throttle control is bad. Very bad. The throttle control will become embedded in your knee or leg. It might break bones, sever tendons, or wreck cartilage. Worst case your femoral artery is punctured and you bleed out REALLY quick.
ODFever, you forget to add:

- Have a Nice Day! :naner::mrgreen:

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cable is too long to put on the right side of the column in the same space so not sure if slightly higher would work. Once it warms up a bit outside I'll get out there and see if it could snake up under the dash a bit more and see. Was also thinking the ash tray area might work.
Would it work when you connect another angle bracket to the bracket and mounting it all behind the dashboard and then the Switch through the dashboard like the light Switch......I Hope you know what i mean...... LOL

3jumpjeep

Would it work when you connect another angle bracket to the bracket and mounting it all behind the dashboard and then the Switch through the dashboard like the light Switch......I Hope you know what i mean...... LOL
I'm gonna follow this. I could really use a hand throttle. I'd like to install a pto.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ilikemtb999

The NSN # is 2910-01-466-6264. The instructions are for an hmmwv but was pretty easy to figure out. Mounts to the bracket that holds the throttle cable and pedal and then I snaked the cable under the dash and mounted the knob to the left of the steering wheel on the steering column cover.

View attachment 662502
Alright, I attempted to install it in the ash tray door but the cable doesn't allow enough flex for the door to close and the door itself is too flimsy to really support anything anyways. While I had it unbolted it just kind of seemed to fit here well so I went with it. Might still mess around with it at a later date but for now this will work.
IMG_9323.jpg

And here's the best I could do for the other side of the cable. I did have to make a small 90* bracket for the end of the cable to attach to the throttle.
IMG_9324.jpgIMG_9326.jpgIMG_9329.jpgIMG_9330.jpg

PJL

I acquired some Trucklites from a route clearance kit. I thought the CUCV needed some help in the illumination department. Mounted them to the brush guard. Used a relay that's activated by the high beams. IMG_2833.jpgIMG_2834.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a NOS set of GM CUCV wheels on the M1008A1
Also used the solid brass high pressure valve stems.

IMG_5045.jpgIMG_5039.jpgIMG_5825.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stems I bought from a tire supply place on eBay.
The wheels I bought from another SS member.
IMG_5824.jpg
Their still shiny. Not so much in this pic.
Will be dust covered soon anyway.
Stopped at the ranch cabin and took this pic.

cucvrus

Started working early today. 0500 I was on a crane dropping steel from an over head crane that was being scrapped out. I dropped/ torched off about 10 ton an hour. Young guys all cried that the steel had lead paint on it. I never heard of lead paint on steel. I could be wrong. It is all down over 40 tons. Filled a few 30 YD dumpsters. All down and not a scratch or burn on me. As I got older I work smarter. What I did to several CUCV's today. I drove the Mule to get Coffee. I washed the windows inside and out on all 4 of the operational CUCV's on my property. I then installed a rebuilt injection pump on a friends M1028. I cheated and had him take it apart while I was at work cutting steel. He did all the dirty work and was afraid to remove the 3 bolts on the timing gear. I came home and done that. Removed the entire spider assembly and reinstalled the pump. Since he had everything all cleaned and painted. It went back together in about 2 hours or less. Cranked it a few times and left it set. Had lunch. Reinstalled the glow plugs tightened the lines at the delivery nozzles and glowed it and it fired right up. We put a new Delphi lift pump on last night and the fuel tank/fuel sock was new over the summer. He drove it here last night and it was running poorly. I sent a core pump out to Diesel Care and had it rebuilt. Happy Happy Happy. Best $400. he spent on it. It gets used as a farm truck and it has a few memory marks on it. 197K miles. Loading 1 picture at a time got old so we be done with that for now. This truck started out life as an M1031 contact maintenance truck an Able Body on it. It only has the rear bumper and the brush guard as a reminder it was an army truck. Have a great day. Good Luck.

Another Ahab

Started working early today. 0500 I was on a crane dropping steel from an over head crane that was being scrapped out. I dropped/ torched off about 10 ton an hour. Young guys all cried that the steel had lead paint on it. I never heard of lead paint on steel. I could be wrong. It is all down over 40 tons. Filled a few 30 YD dumpsters.
Sounds like you got a LOT done today.

3M makes a real inexpensive swab you can use in the space of 5 seconds to confirm lead. It's like $10 for a pack of 3 if I remember right. Almost any general hardware or paint supply store will probably carry them. Here's a link:

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you got a LOT done today.

3M makes a real inexpensive swab you can use in the space of 5 seconds to confirm lead. It's like $10 for a pack of 3 if I remember right. Almost any general hardware or paint supply store will probably carry them. Here's a link:
Don't worry, after a few weeks they will "forget" all about it.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you like them. :-D I figured square tubes would fit nicely on a square body.

Find some end caps for those open ends and you're all good. [thumbzup]
I didn't realize they weren't in the picture, but I cut some pieces to fit and welded them in.

Btw., I want them painted black but I can get them zinc plated for free. Would it be wise to do so and then paint over it?

Another Ahab

Glad you like them. :-D I figured square tubes would fit nicely on a square body.

I didn't realize they weren't in the picture, but I cut some pieces to fit and welded them in.

Btw., I want them painted black but I can get them zinc plated for free. Would it be wise to do so and then paint over it?
I'm not a paint expert, but I'm pretty sure you can paint over plated metal (including zinc). But it might take some kind of etching first.

Somebody else here will know better than me.

Ask any good paint shop, and they should know (or even look it up on-line, you got to love the internet).

iacucv

Depending on what you want to spend on them, I'd get them zinc plated. I'm not sure if powdercoat will go over zinc, I'm pretty sure it will. Ideally to me I would zinc them and powdercoat them if possible, double layer of corrosion protection especially with the zinc dip getting the interior. If powdercoat is a no go, I'd still zinc them and spray them with a good epoxy paint that is UV resistant. Then there's the budget route, free zinc and krylon. Still not terrible, more than most people would do for corrosion resistance.

rsh4364

Drove my 4.56 geared 1009 2.5 hours on the turn pike at 65 mph from north lima ohio to home, tomorrow morning I work in toledo, ohio, then off to Dayton, ohio Sunday night. Averaged 15 mpg. I just love this old truck! But a 700r4 is in the future.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks