• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My SECM has the Dodge M887 body. The heavy wisconsin genset was discarded long ago. Since it was engine driven, the box has an exhaust stack and ventilation from the bottom and top. Now there is a steel workbench on slides that comes out but at some point I'll like to put a Bobcat or Trailblaze in the back. Meanwhile, I've slept back there a few time on a stretcher and it was very doable, won't be if I add the welder.

kylethompson

Interesting use of a 1031. Guess if your feet get hot, you could open that door right there where they are. Same with your head for that matter.
If this thing had OD it’d be basically my dream vehicle. I don’t even care about the lack of power up hills.

But having space for ALL my camping and recovery equipment, water, wetsuits, fuel and food accessible from the outside is amazing for long camp trips. I’ve been inspired by this picture from a book on Baja since I was a kid. And this is pretty close to it!

Next I think is a lift of the roof and cabover sleeping zone for my son. He’s almost ready to graduate from Mexico “family trip” to “guys trip”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skinny

La Burrita...🤣🤣🤣

That is priceless!

I think long term I want to turn it into a crew cab and maybe a tuned up 4bt if the 6.2 ever goes. But then again I don't have kids yet and my other truck is a nine passenger Suburban. So pipe dream for now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

kylethompson

La Burrita...

That is priceless!

I think long term I want to turn it into a crew cab and maybe a tuned up 4bt if the 6.2 ever goes. But then again I don't have kids yet and my other truck is a nine passenger Suburban. So pipe dream for now.

I’m not a wrencher so forgive the dumb question... how are you going to turn the 1031 into a crew cab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skinny

Crew cab frame and cab. The rest is little details. Even a 2wd frame would work.

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I began to replace my motor mounts today starting with the passenger side. I got it out by lifting the right side with a pry bar but that won't do the trick for installing the new one. And my wife is excellent at pointing out the obvious... "Why don't you use that cherry picker thingy you have in the garage?"

I'll finish the job tomorrow... with the cherry picker thingy.

Update: I would be done now if Autozone had sold me the correct motor mount. The struggle continues.

Update #2: Having read Cucvrus posts I went back to Autozone to get a motor mount fot a 1983 350. They brought out the same mount I already had. I asked Russ to humor me and bring out the other one they had on the shelf. It turned out to be correct. I should be up and running in a bit.

Last edited:

LT67

I began to replace my motor mounts today starting with the passenger side. I got it out by lifting the right side with a pry bar but that won't do the trick for installing the new one. And my wife is excellent at pointing out the obvious... "Why don't you use that cherry picker thingy you have in the garage?"

I'll finish the job tomorrow... with the cherry picker thingy.

Update: I would be done now if Autozone had sold me the correct motor mount. The struggle continues.

Update #2: Having read Cucvrus posts I went back to Autozone to get a motor mount fot a 1983 350. They brought out the same mount I already had. I asked Russ to humor me and bring out the other one they had on the shelf. It turned out to be correct. I should be up and running in a bit.
The motor mount on my 86 m1008 turned out to be okay. All of the bolts holding it in place had all backed out🤣

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I'll go with the duralast and save a few bucks. I'm not as convinced with the energy suspension parts or the other polyurethane parts makers.
Cucvrus I finally got to it. Thanks for all you post. Without your knowledge I would still be looking for the correct motor mount. Autozones computer gives you the wrong mount. As you have identified previously, tell them it's a 1983 truck with a 350 and you get the right one.

Skinny

Haha

I'm lucky, my girlfriend supports my habits but does say I'm cheating on her with my two mistresses at the shop.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Ordered a 28MT starter from the usual scumbags, only because my 10% employee discount. Also ARP head stud kit and starter bolts. I have the bracket and keeping the 27MT as a spare.

LT67

Ordered a 28MT starter from the usual scumbags, only because my 10% employee discount. Also ARP head stud kit and starter bolts. I have the bracket and keeping the 27MT as a spare.
I wound up doing the same.... my 27MT kept eating up any bendix we threw in there

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fixing a bunch of little electrical stuff. Replaced burnt out gauge bulbs w/leds. Fixed non working voltmeter. Adding autometer temp gauge. I'll probably look at my non working horn while I'm at it.

83k30

Well it's time for my annual maintenance on my daily driver M1008. Have a long list of things to do this time around. So far, I have done the rear main seal, oil pan, front timing cover, water pump, and cleaned up the alternators/pulley alignment. Still left to do is the front axle and suspension work, but I'm not in a major hurry so I'm painting most of the parts I take off.
IMG_20210205_184326.jpg
IMG_20210210_154544.jpg
IMG_20210205_184201.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks