• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

edpdx

So I've been complaining everywhere about the noise I've been having upon accelerating- throughout the gear range- I didn't identify it as prolonged winding out of the gears as I had previously got them pretty close to the shift points that I could live with; they were still a bit high. But a few days ago I jumped in my Blazer to go fishing and the gears wound way out before shifting. A post I found here (instead of fishing, sadly), said I may have a collapsed vacuum line- exacerbated by the summer heat. I checked at the vacuum pump to the Vacuum Regulator Valve. All pretty fresh from recent replacement. When I got to the Modulator on the transmission...
image0.jpegimage2.jpeg
I didn't use the rubber hose that came with the modulator last summer- the piece I used was clearly past it's prime. Lesson learned.

cucvrus

Ideally and the way it is designed the metal vacuum line will snap snugly into the modulator. The rubber hose was just to make a tight seal and retain the 2 pieces together. I have pictures if needed to explain. But that was the original design. Looks to me if that hose were shorter it would fit as designed. Just an idea. Have a Great Day.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Road test. Grocery getting. The most mundane yet important role for any vehicle. Plus hardware run. Flawless if slow. Tortoise beats the hare.
If I am going to burn 3 doll hairs of dino diesel squeezings, I'm getting some merch. And do it in style.

dougco1

Road test. Grocery getting. The most mundane yet important role for any vehicle. Plus hardware run. Flawless if slow. Tortoise beats the hare.
If I am going to burn 3 doll hairs of dino diesel squeezings, I'm getting some merch. And do it in style.
????. I most be getting old and starting to get "Some timers Disease"

LT67

Both alternators rebuilt and now everything is charging correctly on the 85 M1008. I did notice one thing though; when I start the truck the gen 2 light instantly goes off. It does not remain on until I tap the skinny pedal like it did before.

Last edited:

Carolina1010

Well, this is my backdrop literally 6 days a week if I want it to be so.... I have roughly 10 hours a day to "hang out" and wait for my evening run to be ready and I found this gem about a month ago

Attachments

Carolina1010

Well, this is my backdrop literally 6 days a week if I want it to be so.... I have roughly 10 hours a day to "hang out" and wait for my evening run to be ready and I found this gem about a month ago
Lol, I forgot the what I did part....... put a/c in the box. Stuck a small window unit where the factory blast chiller use to be, I'm currently modifying the case from original to shroud/protect/conceal the hillbilly of the window unit sticking out from the front wall.....
This gives me a/c anytime I want/need

Right now the set up is shore power or run a genset, I got a 2k inverter unit from HF and am very happy with its performance.
As time marches on the a/c will be plugged in to a pure sine inverter/charger with somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000-1200 watts of solar on the roof.
That with the addition of about 6kw of battery and I will truly be self sufficient.

And I have some very exciting plans for cold weather keeping warm sort of stuff for this fall.

Attachments

Last edited:

aslemmer

I took my buddies Deuce for a ride…
Even though we took all residential streets, probably one of the most reckless tows I have ever done.
In the end it was definitely the most efficient way to make this tow happen.

Attachments

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my buddies Deuce for a ride…
Even though we took all residential streets, probably one of the most reckless tows I have ever done.
In the end it was definitely the most efficient way to make this tow happen.
Dumb is an understatement. The pintle hook and bumper attachments aren't rated for the weight, you have no brakes, and the rear axle isn't designed for that kind of stress either.

I'm the last person to think .gov should be involved in things, but this is definitely one of those situations where an officer should have stopped you and talked some sense into you.

cucvrus

Sometimes you gotta do what needs done. Get by with a little help from your friends. I towed a few heavy loads with my M1009 in the past and even used 2wd low range to tow a disabled F350 with a trailer loaded with a CUCV M1028. Leaving Rausch Creek we were on PA 901 going up to I 81 south and the Ford owner that was traveling with us decided to dial up the smoker in his 6.0 diesel to impress us all.

About 1/4 of the way up hill he was at the side of the road. He hated Chevys. He said you can't pull this up that mountain. Tow strap in place and secure up the hill we went. By the time we reached I 81 his temperature was back in normal and he drove home from there.

The M1009 was bogged down but it still pulled the grade. Fun times. And at low speed I would pull anything that I could move. At highway speeds not so quick. Life and safety are important. I think you done your friend a solid favor. My M1028 towed a dozer on a trailer out of the woods when the dump truck couldn't get up the hill to hook up to it. And the hill was long and gradual. Low Range and down the hill I went. It had electric brakes and I had the controller in my truck. Happy it all worked out for both sides. At the bottom of the hill we did have an issue getting the trailer high enough to hook the dump truck up. Worked it out.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your hitch mounting. I've read about those being weak and seen pics of them broken. With proper mounting I've towed 17000+ lbs with my M1028 6.2 and regularly with my K1500 6.5 TD. One time I even towed close to 40k with the M1028, but that was on a closed off market square. Those do have the stronger 14-bolt rear axle though. Breaking that 10-bolt will give you an excuse to swap in 1 ton axles I guess...

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When going to remote radio locations and for some over-landing adventures, it's always nice to have a generator. Finding a good place to secure the generator on a CUCV with a S250 shelter is a challenge. Keeping it inside the shelter is nice, but not desirable.

With no other suitable mounting locations available, the generator had to be mounted to the front. Not my first choice of locations, this was the last place we could find to accommodate it. We tried to keep it as low as practical to minimize disrupting the airflow to the radiator. The gen set is locked in place for additional security. Fortunately, it will not be there all the time, just for when we head out to places that we would need it.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Damaged it.

Never put a chair in front of a vehicle and walk away while on the phone, only to come back a few hours later and forget about it.

Chair faired pretty well.
CUCV now has a small outward dent under side turn light.

Talk about feeling really stupid.

Attachments

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
........ I think these are the little defeats that each of us goes through or still has to face.
....... the only important thing is that you learn from it, and BTW, it's nice when you share things like that with others, it shows greatness ......... we are all human ........... we just do that from time to time, LOL

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They definitely don’t make chairs like they used to.

Chair is from the 1950’s and it did bend a bit,
Really strong chair.
Made a heck of a racket.
Had to Jack truck up to get it out.

I parked in the shade in a spot I normally don’t park.
Went to move truck later and wham!

I’m still shaking my head…………

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks