• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

wandering neurons

Step 1 in my soon-to-be-done differential replacement is complete. I had obtained an Eaton locker earlier this year, and with the help of a Kobalt high-torque battery impact wrench and the hoist in the bed of my M1081, yanked the spider gears and dropped the locker in their place. My biggest two hangups were:
1. Researching if I needed to include the big washers that came out with the spider gear set. According to Abel at Fastidious Restomods, the washers not needed and are removed with the rest of the gears. Just drop the Eaton in place and start bolting back together.
2. I LOST MY LOCKTITE! I live one hour from anything, but fortunately, the campground owners had one bottle of LockTite available in their store. Saviors...
Learned:
1. Mark everything for placement, and count rotations of the side-load threaded rings.
2. Those diffs are heavy! Even the ring gear portion is heavy.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OMG I ALMOST PUCKED IN MY OWN MOUTH 150 for a plastic piece of clear tubing and a ball bearing im in the wrong bizzness how much is this thing in the picture ? Can i send my sister over to trade out for it?
I thought something similar. I know limited quantities are how things get sold and what appears to be incredibly high prices - but this definitely seems unreasonable. The fancy version with 4 functions was $90 when I was looking at it...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well me me me you and 3dtexas got all the treats and i got ashes i must not be living right!!!!
chucky, It's either that - OR - maybe Third From Texas or I just drive so dang fast that we have to have a "turn over gauge" so we don't fall over in the middle of the road :cool: Believe me, I am too cheap to have spent $150 for the factory model. It came that-a-way in both of my toys.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$150? That's cheap, you should see what is paid for "Turn and Slip" indicators for private aircraft!
Oh yea theres a whole different kind of full on rapeing going on in private jets i used to have to chase down private tarmacs putting my folks in G-5 's a couple times a week all over the country for last minute stuff LA to NYC and back and that little trip be $60 thousand in 24 hrs I know those jet engine rebuilds are high ever so many hrs but i guess when you want to ride in 40 million dollar jets by your self whats a couple of bucks !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
chucky, It's either that - OR - maybe Third From Texas or I just drive so dang fast that we have to have a "turn over gauge" so we don't fall over in the middle of the road :cool: Believe me, I am too cheap to have spent $150 for the factory model. It came that-a-way in both of my toys.
Yall got the silerado versions and i got the work truck no power windows version lol

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought something similar. I know limited quantities are how things get sold and what appears to be incredibly high prices - but this definitely seems unreasonable. The fancy version with 4 functions was $90 when I was looking at it...
Those on amazon looked good ! for the money !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think everybody got a levometer in/on their truck - except you Chucky.
Wonder what happened there...? Wonder who stole yours?

View attachment 846605

I have looked and so far - I haven't seen one that wasn't attached to a truck.
Yea Yea Yea cant have nothing nice just so all yall can have all the good stuff its an old story the HAVES and the Havenots one of you probably took mine before i could get up to 101st to pick it up . Hope your proud of yourselves dont worry about poor little chucky he doesnt need any of this good stuff on his truck !!!!!!

ramdough

Yea Yea Yea cant have nothing nice just so all yall can have all the good stuff its an old story the HAVES and the Havenots one of you probably took mine before i could get up to 101st to pick it up . Hope your proud of yourselves dont worry about poor little chucky he doesnt need any of this good stuff on his truck !!!!!!
I am in the same boat….

BTW…. Direct from the manufacturer, they are around $60 I think. They even have backlit units. I would have to look for my bookmark…. But if I can find it, I will share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am in the same boat….

BTW…. Direct from the manufacturer, they are around $60 I think. They even have backlit units. I would have to look for my bookmark…. But if I can find it, I will share.

Sounds like the backlit version would be a nice way to go!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an idea you order and pay for it and send it direct from amazon to me and we will use my truck as a test vehicle and make sure its the one we want and save you having to remove your little doll on your dash . Is that some kind of a voo doo doll of some elderly handicap woman you stick pins in when you wound up and sitting in traffic ?

Third From Texas

Here is an idea you order and pay for it and send it direct from amazon to me and we will use my truck as a test vehicle and make sure its the one we want and save you having to remove your little doll on your dash . Is that some kind of a voo doo doll of some elderly handicap woman you stick pins in when you wound up and sitting in traffic ?
Tempting offer, but it seems unfair using a community memeber as a Guinea pig. I'll just order one for me and install it next to the other one. Then I can test for accuracy without feeling guilty.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tempting offer, but it seems unfair using a community memeber as a Guinea pig. I'll just order one for me and install it next to the other one. Then I can test for accuracy without feeling guilty.
Well me being used to disapointment this comes as no surprise that others could not visualize me attaining something nice for my dash like OTHERS here to hog all the cool stuff for themselves ! As a child i would sneak out of the orphange to go and sit in the new car of the next door neighbors to just smell the new smell of a nice new vehicle sometimes for hours before the tracking dogs would find me and they take me back and put me in the hotbox for a month to break me from runing and the only thing that would get me through it all was the little cigar lighter i took out of the backseat ashtray of that new car to give me hope that one day i too might have some nice stuff to mount on my shopping cart im hopeing to find a rearveiw mirror one day at the dump to put on the side of it . Theres been a rash of army trucks running over folks like me and my expando shopping cart /camper / expedition off grid tacticlal comand post even when im up on the sidewalk so this way i will be able to see them coming if i find a mirror ! So if you decide you like one of those levometers better than the other you might let me have the other one so i can level out my shopping cart is most importatant when i put out all the slide outs and raise the second floor and i get on top for bed time if its not level the wind tips it over and it hurts to fall on the side walk from so high up and some times the same army truck people will come by at nite and unscotch the wheels on my command post out of jealousy and i roll down the street till it flips over so if you have some kind of parking brake that also would be appreciated.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Well me being used to disapointment this comes as no surprise that others could not visualize me attaining something nice for my dash like OTHERS here to hog all the cool stuff for themselves ! ....//
Great imagination. Takes a bit of an artist to paint that picture of the world around your expando shopping cart /camper / expedition off grid tacticlal comand post.

now on the serious side....

STRESS sucks it makes you or breaks you
how does it make you? well since-
. necessity is the father of invention.
. stress is the father of necessity.

Using the stress to invent is actually how one "makes you" and not "breaks you". Even the body works that way...... the muscles; in affect invent/build more muscle fibers..... as well as increase ability to use neural paths (aka you get stronger) from physical stress. (aka.... PT). The brain invents/creates new neural paths from mental stress.... so you get creative (invents poor orphan stories lol)

so go out now and make a new tiltometer out of a curved piece of opaque plastic tube filled partially with red ATF and a ball bearing or ?? . Place into an artistic piece of a LMTV or similar that looks cool on a dash (and does not obstruct view of driver). Hang plumb bob from cab roof and mark the ATF tube with angles...... and whala... your done with a one of a kind awesome tiltometer :)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great imagination. Takes a bit of an artist to paint that picture of the world around your expando shopping cart /camper / expedition off grid tacticlal comand post.

now on the serious side....

STRESS sucks it makes you or breaks you
how does it make you? well since-
. necessity is the father of invention.
. stress is the father of necessity.

Using the stress to invent is actually how one "makes you" and not "breaks you". Even the body works that way...... the muscles; in affect invent/build more muscle fibers..... as well as increase ability to use neural paths (aka you get stronger) from physical stress. (aka.... PT). The brain invents/creates new neural paths from mental stress.... so you get creative (invents poor orphan stories lol)

so go out now and make a new tiltometer out of a curved piece of opaque plastic tube filled partially with red ATF and a ball bearing or ?? . Place into an artistic piece of a LMTV or similar that looks cool on a dash (and does not obstruct view of driver). Hang plumb bob from cab roof and mark the ATF tube with angles...... and whala... your done with a one of a kind awesome tiltometer :)
Dang it your rite i need to pick myself up out of the gutter and make the best of this situation ! I have a old used colostomy bag full of holes where the neighborhood kids used to shoot bb guns at me when i would panhandle by the interstate i could use that clear hose and one of those bb's and some of that yellow juice in the bag and make me a leanometer for the overlander tactical command submerine ! I found some pipe and broken mirror today and ive made me a periscope coming out of the penthouse/flight tower last week with all the flooding the command post and me got washed twice into the storm aqueducts and since my command post doesnt float i figured i better get a periscope to see where im going ! Thanks for the pep talk i needed it!

ramdough

Dang it your rite i need to pick myself up out of the gutter and make the best of this situation ! I have a old used colostomy bag full of holes where the neighborhood kids used to shoot bb guns at me when i would panhandle by the interstate i could use that clear hose and one of those bb's and some of that yellow juice in the bag and make me a leanometer for the overlander tactical command submerine ! I found some pipe and broken mirror today and ive made me a periscope coming out of the penthouse/flight tower last week with all the flooding the command post and me got washed twice into the storm aqueducts and since my command post doesnt float i figured i better get a periscope to see where im going ! Thanks for the pep talk i needed it!
That just made my night! You Chucky are a literary master. Almost squirted beer out my nose…..luckily I Hathcocked up and Stormin Normaned through.

Ok…. Maybe my analogies and writing are not as good as yours.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks