• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

tpiekbp

Rather than buying a turret cover and paying crazy shipping, I cut one out of a 4’ square of 1/8” steel, welded on two bars to keep it from flexing, and through a little color on it. I used a 1/4” rubber gasket and bolted it down. Pretty happy for a project under $200. The truck came from 1st Cav so the stencil was just a small salute.7F0649F1-A219-4FA4-A082-5350E51EADB6.jpeg4E35A0B2-F3FE-43D4-8E42-758CD91A6164.jpeg

Third From Texas

Rather than buying a turret cover and paying crazy shipping, I cut one out of a 4’ square of 1/8” steel, welded on two bars to keep it from flexing, and through a little color on it. I used a 1/4” rubber gasket and bolted it down. Pretty happy for a project under $200. The truck came from 1st Cav so the stencil was just a small salute.View attachment 858785View attachment 858787
People like you make the surplus scalpers cry.

I like you.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Installed the new straps that we made to hold the bows down and installed the new bungee cords for the troop retainer brackets and then put the top on. The realized we're missing one leg clamp set. Anyone have a source or a set they don't need?20220211_150255.jpg20220211_170103.jpg20220211_170132.jpg20220212_172046.jpg

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a difference, Godspeed131! What headlights and led bulbs did you use? imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)
The headlights and marker lights both came from Amazon. I’ll link them below.
The headlights use 15 watts on low beam and 30 on high compared to the incandescents at 42 and 65 watts, and are double the brightness or more. Swapping the marker lights alone decreases the watt usage roughly around 100 watts at 1.3 watts for the led compared to the incandescent bulbs at 7.9watts. So in all much more visibility at a lower power usage. I’m happy with them so far but we’ll see just what the longevity is in the future.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The headlights use 15 watts on low beam and 30 on high compared to the incandescents at 42 and 65 watts, and are double the brightness or more. Swapping the marker lights alone decreases the watt usage roughly around 100 watts at 1.3 watts for the led compared to the incandescent bulbs at 7.9watts. So in all much more visibility at a lower power usage. I’m happy with them so far but we’ll see just what the longevity is in the future.
Two things.

You don't use white LED bulbs behind colored lenses.

Those bulbs say they're 12V..... Does the LMTV use 12V wiring for its lighting?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two things.

You don't use white LED bulbs behind colored lenses.

Those bulbs say they're 12V..... Does the LMTV use 12V wiring for its lighting?
Yea it’s a 12 volt system for the lighting. I’ve always been told and in experience using a white bulb is quite fine behind a colored lens and Im not trying to be a smart butt by no means, but the original bulb was warm white originally same as the led. Only difference now is it’s brighter and less heat.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea it’s a 12 volt system for the lighting.
Thanks for the clarification, haven't dived into their lighting circuits...

I’ve always been told and in experience using a white bulb is quite fine behind a colored lens and Im not trying to be a smart butt by no means, but the original bulb was warm white originally same as the led. Only difference now is it’s brighter and less heat.
No.

LEDs emit light totally differently than incandescent bulbs do.

Incandescent bulbs put out light across the visible spectrum, and the filter just blocks other wavelengths. An LED only puts out a narrow spectrum of light, and a lens will drastically decrease the output if using a white bulb behind a colored lens, to a lesser degree with amber (it comes out yellowish-white), but red is extremely noticeable.

Third From Texas

No.

Incandescent bulbs put out light across the visible spectrum, and the filter just blocks other wavelengths. An LED only puts out a narrow spectrum of light, and a lens will drastically decrease the output if using a white bulb behind a colored lens, to a lesser degree with amber (it comes out yellowish-white), but red is extremely noticeable.

Yep. Some years ago I tried placing white LEDs in the lollypop lights on the back of one of my off road cars. Even in daylight you could see they were far weaker than the incandescent bulbs on the side we had not installed. Lesson learned but I never fully understood the "why". Thanks for the video.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter

No.

Sincerely thank you for the explication and not just saying I’m wrong without explaining. That explanation and video makes since. Honestly though I’m not to worried about it though considering it’s a non commercial play/farm truck that will maybe see night driving three times a year. Plus their only on the marker lights I whole heartedly agree on using matching colors on turn signals and brake/tail lights. Those haven’t had issues yet so their still oem, and all the rest of my vehicles have matching colored leds behind the correct lens. I just used these cause they were available at a better price that what I personally could find at the time.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sincerely thank you for the explication and not just saying I’m wrong without explaining. That explanation and video makes since. Honestly though I’m not to worried about it though considering it’s a non commercial play/farm truck that will maybe see night driving three times a year. Plus their only on the marker lights I whole heartedly agree on using matching colors on turn signals and brake/tail lights. Those haven’t had issues yet so their still oem, and all the rest of my vehicles have matching colored leds behind the correct lens. I just used these cause they were available at a better price that what I personally could find at the time.

So many people wanna be 'right', they neglect to realize that the objective is to educate and share understanding. A discussion without data/evidence/proof is pretty meaningless.

I learned the FMTV lighting system is 12V, when I incorrectly assumed it was 24V like 'everything else', because I hadn't looked into it.

You learned that LEDs are fundamentally different in how they work compared to a filament based incandescent bulb.

Win:Win

No loser, just people sharing what they know to help each other out.

tpiekbp

Thanks for making that an easy buy Godspeed131!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks