• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HEMTT/PLS/MK48 this week

JDToumanian

Psycho or a complete DUMB $hit. It is because of these types of iditots that it is getting harder to buy, insure and register these big trucks. That FPU should have NEVER been driven on the streets without a back half. It still never seizes to amaze me the stupidity of some people!
Great video, but personally I wouldn't have done it that way... I would have rented a full size van so I could carry more equipment, and I would have picked up the complete Mk48 first, then went to pick up the FPU and flat towed it to get the wrecker RBU, then driven both complete trucks back instead of tow. There's no way I'd have risked getting pulled over for towing a 90-foot long double articulated monstrosity like that. Another reason to drive both instead of tow is to not overload the Allison transmission, which they definitely did. I also can't believe they blew 4 tires before changing the setup... There's at least $1600 down the drain.

Jon

Last edited:

HASSON1911

I've actually seen this truck in MN. It's also for sale (the mk) for $60k. I kinda got the same feeling being where the truck is as I did watching the video...uneasy. Feels like a less developed "plan B" company.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Also I did not see any SAFETY CHAINS, If you read the -10 for a mk48/mk15a1, you will see that the travel speed is way down for a loaded recovery, as far as hauling a$$ with just the m48 fpu, the driver NEEDS to get down on his knees and thank GOD that he did not kill somebody or himself, in the -10 there is listed a max. speed for just the fpu, they are so nose heavy that it is EASY to nose over at the slightest hint of brake, bump in the road, ect., the -10 ALSO states that the fpu SHOULD NOT be operated as vehicle unless the FRONT LANDING WHEEL is attached, the ONLY exception is hooking up to a rpu.

The TOWBAR is upside down, that means the pins are in the WRONG directions with the RETAINERS up, the way things are rigged could lead to a lost pin, then a parted tb, with no safety chains = a very BAD EVENT

Also the A-frame is rigged wrong, the cylinder is used to lift the vehicle so it can be set in the load carrying cable that goes over the sheave and both ends hook to the NEW 83,000 lb tb, then the load is relieved off the cylinder on to the load carrying cable.

ECT, ECT, ECT,.

Last edited:

HASSON1911

Also I did not see any SAFETY CHAINS, If you read the -10 for a mk48/mk15a1, you will see that the travel speed is way down for a loaded recovery, as far as hauling a$$ with just the m48 fpu, the driver NEEDS to get down on his knees and thank GOD that he did not kill somebody or himself, in the -10 there is listed a max. speed for just the fpu, they are so nose heavy that it is EASY to nose over at the slightest hint of brake, bump in the road, ect., the -10 ALSO states that the fpu SHOULD NOT be operated as vehicle unless the FRONT LANDING WHEEL is attached, tho ONLY exception is hooking up to a rpu.
Something tells me if the owners ever join,or are on here, they will not be speaking on this thread!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also I did not see any SAFETY CHAINS, If you read the -10 for a mk48/mk15a1, you will see that the travel speed is way down for a loaded recovery, as far as hauling a$$ with just the m48 fpu, the driver NEEDS to get down on his knees and thank GOD that he did not kill somebody or himself, in the -10 there is listed a max. speed for just the fpu, they are so nose heavy that it is EASY to nose over at the slightest hint of brake, bump in the road, ect., the -10 ALSO states that the fpu SHOULD NOT be operated as vehicle unless the FRONT LANDING WHEEL is attached, the ONLY exception is hooking up to a rpu.

The TOWBAR is upside down, that means the pins are in the WRONG directions with the RETAINERS up, the way things are rigged could lead to a lost pin, then a parted tb, with no safety chains = a very BAD EVENT

Also the A-frame is rigged wrong, the cylinder is used to lift the vehicle so it can be set in the load carrying cable that goes over the sheave and both ends hook to the NEW 83,000 lb tb, then the load is relieved off the cylinder on to the load carrying cable.

ECT, ECT, ECT,.
Spoken by an educated man

How long did you study that video???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree about the chains - while the towbar is upside down, the towbar pins look to be right side up in the video.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Spoken by an educated man

How long did you study that video???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A minute or so, does not take a lot of time to look at something to get a grasp of the situation, the issues just pop out at you, especially if you KNOW HOW TO READ SO YOU CAN READ TMs..

Last edited:

Gunzy

Wednesday I picked up my Cargo cover kit that swiss sent me through Fastenall and now I have a pair of high back air ride seats with shoulder harness seat belts coming. I have work to do when ever thing is in one place because I still have an MRAP 360 lighting system to install too. I figure more options = more value. :)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They are idiots. Atleast the idiots were made to work on replacing those tires. usually the idiots get the free rides and the people doing it the right way get all the PITA things to fix along the way. Looked like a general heavy bar. Does it really weigh 600lbs? Dang I need to quit going to the gym if I can carry mine around and put it in my 5 ton alone.

Another Ahab

They are idiots. Atleast the idiots were made to work on replacing those tires. usually the idiots get the free rides and the people doing it the right way get all the PITA things to fix along the way. Looked like a general heavy bar. Does it really weigh 600lbs? Dang I need to quit going to the gym if I can carry mine around and put it in my 5 ton alone.
I got a better idea than that:

- First, file a patent on that work-out routine of yours (it must be killer!), then...

- Franchise it worldwide.
That way you'll be able to afford a whole fleet of HEMTT'S. :driver::naner::driver:

Last edited:

JDToumanian

Wednesday I picked up my Cargo cover kit that swiss sent me through Fastenall
I just picked mine up today (Friday)... I probably won't get a chance to try it out until Sunday. My wife's parents are visiting from Scottsdale and her dad wanted a ride, so I drove the HEMTT to Fastenal to pick up the crate. I looked down at the gauges just in time to catch them at 22,222.2 miles and 444.4 hours!

Jon

Attachments

Another Ahab

I just picked mine up today (Friday)... I probably won't get a chance to try it out until Sunday. My wife's parents are visiting from Scottsdale and her dad wanted a ride, so I drove the HEMTT to Fastenal to pick up the crate. I looked down at the gauges just in time to catch them at 22,222.2 miles and 444.4 hours!
Jon
Whoa! What are THOSE odds?!

Did you know it was coming; like were you watching it inch up?

JDToumanian

I saw it coming about 5 miles out... The hours were at 444.4 but the mileage was at 22,217. I thought "no way the hours will still be at 444.4 in another 5 miles" but I kept an eye on it and got the camera ready, and sure enough!

I just looked at the picture I posted above, and it almost looks photoshopped. The reason is that when the focus is questionable, like in poor light or when driving in a bouncy HEMTT, my phone saves two images... An original, which may be blurry, and another that has been digitally stabilized. I posted the stabilized one because it was clearer, but here's the original, so nobody thinks I faked it!

Obviously if you check the math, it can only be concluded that one or both of my gauges have been replaced at some point... Probably the tachometer. 22,222.2 miles in 444.4 hours is an average of 50 mph. Considering the 60 mph top speed, and all the idling that goes on when the crane is used, that high of an average speed is impossible. Hopefully at least the mileage is correct...

Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Jon

I saw it coming about 5 miles out... The hours were at 444.4 but the mileage was at 22,217. I thought "no way the hours will still be at 444.4 in another 5 miles" but I kept an eye on it and got the camera ready, and sure enough!
Jon
You got your numbers!

The rest is up to you:

lotto.jpg

JDToumanian

Here's a few pics of my HEMTT with the cargo cover on... I didn't have the energy to put the end curtains on, the cover itself is quite heavy and with just over 6' of head room under the bows, it was hard work getting it up there without the help of a Soldier B and preferably a Soldier C as well.

I like it, it doesn't look as ridiculous as I thought it would. It would probably look a little better if the staves were cut down some, but I like the 6' inside height so I don't have to duck down when I'm walking around in the back. The truck with the cover on reminds me of an Imperial Walker from Star Wars...

The cover itself is thicker than I thought it would be, I have another HEMTT cover (bought new but without bows or end curtains) that is much thinner. more like a heavy plastic tarp from a hardware store. The cover that came in this kit is a fairly heavy rubberized material, like a modern deuce or 5-ton cover (though maybe not quite that heavy).

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks