• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HEMTT/PLS/MK48 this week

Gunzy

I have an extra set of bows If anyone is in need. Just tossing it out there. The thing I find odd about the covers for the HEMTTs is that you have to load the truck up THEN install the cover. That just seems backwards when compared to a 5 ton cargo truck.

JDToumanian

The thing I find odd about the covers for the HEMTTs is that you have to load the truck up THEN install the cover.
That's why I wouldn't leave the cover on, or even the bows. I use the crane too often. I really bought it just so I could camp out in the back when I'm at rallies / shows / other events.

I have an extra set of bows If anyone is in need. Just tossing it out there.
NOW you tell me! :roll: I think Dave Walker still has another new cover. It's a little thinner material than the one that comes in the crated kit but the price is right. Good luck finding end curtains though...

Jon

Gunzy

That's why I wouldn't leave the cover on, or even the bows. I use the crane too often. I really bought it just so I could camp out in the back when I'm at rallies / shows / other events.

NOW you tell me! :roll: I think Dave Walker still has another new cover. It's a little thinner material than the one that comes in the crated kit but the price is right. Good luck finding end curtains though...

Jon
I bought the same NOS in crate cover kit you did. I had bows before and now have extra.

NEIOWA

HEMMT right front fender (2510-01-366-8895) - How thick/heavy duty is this part? Support a couple big guys standing on it?

Need to create rear fenders for M916A3 that are beefy enough to support equipment stowage boxes. These are what I'm finding on DLA surplus that might work.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say if you have good mounts under them they hold.
It's the foundation that really counts.

JDToumanian

Currently working on a new front grill and bypassing the high pressure hydraulic filter.
Why would you bypass the high pressure filter? If you need info on them, it's a Pall model 9800... I have the service manual from Pall I can email you if you need it, and the filters are cheap and plentiful through surplus channels. The tech at Pall told me they're very nice aircraft-grade filter units, he was surprised when I told him it was on a crane on the back of a truck.

Jon

HASSON1911

Why would you bypass the high pressure filter? If you need info on them, it's a Pall model 9800... I have the service manual from Pall I can email you if you need it, and the filters are cheap and plentiful through surplus channels. The tech at Pall told me they're very nice aircraft-grade filter units, he was surprised when I told him it was on a crane on the back of a truck.

Jon
After several attempts to replace the old oring I have not been able to get it to make a complete seal with the double oring. I'll try it one more time with your info for sure: hasson454@gmail.com

After looking over the system I'm not sure why it's one there either other than these machines operate in the sand box with no local stores for filter replaces. The other filter look more than adequate for a well maintained machine with the proper hydraulic fluid.

Another Ahab

We call them wheel hoes, it's an excavator on wheels really. Lots different than a Gradall[/QUOTE]

I see you're right about that, and I'm wrong (I'm pretty stupid sometimes).

I didn't zero in on the details, and thought the front boom was telescoping.

Nice machine anyway!

Do both axles steer?

JDToumanian

After several attempts to replace the old oring I have not been able to get it to make a complete seal with the double oring. I'll try it one more time with your info for sure: hasson454@gmail.com
Ah yes! That was why I called Pall Aeropower. When I went to service my filter, the old o-ring(s) had disintegrated into mush, so I had nothing to match, and searching the NSN didn't give me enough info. They were very helpful, and sent me the manual as well as gave me the specs for the o-rings over the phone. It's just a standard round o-ring, with a "back-up ring" below it. I was not familiar with back-up rings. It's thin..... flat on one side and with a concave indentation on the other side that causes it to nest nicely with the round o-ring. Did you use a back-up ring? ..... I had to buy like 100 each, round and back-up, from McMaster-Carr........ PM me your address and a set will be on it's way to you.

Jon

dk8019

I see you're right about that, and I'm wrong (I'm pretty stupid sometimes).

I didn't zero in on the details, and thought the front boom was telescoping.

Nice machine anyway!

Do both axles steer?
No, only the front set steers. It's very similar to a Drott Cruzair, but with a Case diesel engine.

Gunzy

I made a deal to get myself a bunch of parts from a 1983 M977 that is on a scrap contract. I have already got the cab and radiator and part of the deal is for all the tires/wheels, winch system, generator, batteries and crane controls. I will also get some other misc. parts and will have at least 2 more times down to get parts. In the video you'll see the straps break. It wasn't the straps that broke, it was the hooks on the straps. The straps are rated at 11000lbs but apperently the steel hooks they put on them are rated at 200lbs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWpj8A3PbE&t=492s

dk8019

In the video you'll see the straps break. It wasn't the straps that broke, it was the hooks on the straps. The straps are rated at 11000lbs but apperently the steel hooks they put on them are rated at 200lbs.
Interesting! The straps do appear to be at a very shallow angle, so even if the load wasn't 11k, the load applied could have been far higher.

Gunzy

Well, I got the rest of what I paid for off of the 1984 M977. The drive train may be going to a member in Washington, if not it will be available. It is sad to see one come to this but it beats just being completely chopped up anyway. Here is a picture of what it looked like and what it looks like now.028.jpg
027.jpg032.jpg033.jpg034.jpg035.jpg036.jpg037.jpg038.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks