• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duravee sounds all wrong.

Platform is HMMWV.

HummerMax? HummDuram? Just not Hum Drum.
Well it is also acceptable to call it a Humvee, this is not a Hummer, Hummer is the name of the civilian machine.
But I agree DuraVee is not ideal, but I have not come up with anything better yet, I am most likely not the first to say DuraVee

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for reference for next time, the paired 24 stud wheels only get torqued to 110 lb-ft, not the 125 that the 12 stud rims get tightened to.

F248BE82-3972-4DC4-A257-FA0A7597C8C2.jpeg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for reference for next time, the paired 24 stud wheels only get torqued to 110 lb-ft, not the 125 that the 12 stud rims get tightened to.

F248BE82-3972-4DC4-A257-FA0A7597C8C2.jpeg
What about torque on the even spaced 24 bolt wheels (what I have)??

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about torque on the even spaced 24 bolt wheels (what I have)??
85, then 110
it is a page or 2 before the image posted above.
So I stole that image from another thread here; the manual I have downloaded is an older one from before the 24 bolt wheels.

As Action said, it's the same torque values as the paired stud wheels, but looking at the manual on my phone (very slow computer internet) it is a different torque pattern than the paired version.
I'll post the page in a few minutes.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
those aren't the clearest for the torque pattern, so here:

Evenly spaced
hmmwv tire 24 even-1.jpg

paired
hmmwv tire 24 paired-1.jpg

I like to use a sharpie or a paint marker and go all around the rim, numbering the studs in sequence before I start, otherwise it's very difficult to know where you're supposed to be at in the sequence.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also purchased the paired 24 bolt rims and beadlocks from Trailworthy Fab. Shipping was quite expensive and rather slow (tracking showed the pallet stayed at the terminal for a week before being delivered). Though, ultimately, I was pleased with the rims and beadlocks. I used their black o-rings but each needed to be stretched slightly before installation. I ordered OEM lock nuts and manually tightened 6, evenly spaced, with a ratchet to fix the o-ring into place. I then used an electric torque wrench using the sequence pictured above. Manually torquing to spec (85 ft-lbs and 110 ft-lbs) was much easier with the wheel/tire vertical. The learning curve was steep and my last wheel was completed in just under 1 hour.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
those aren't the clearest for the torque pattern, so here:

Evenly spaced
View attachment 836710

paired
View attachment 836711

I like to use a sharpie or a paint marker and go all around the rim, numbering the studs in sequence before I start, otherwise it's very difficult to know where you're supposed to be at in the sequence.
This is what small grandchildren are for!

keith s

Finally,,, three hours at one DMV , plus one hour driving. Two hours at another, one and a half hr. drive . Got the tag..first drive to Lowe's. 20210611_114802.jpg
Gotta find out what's wrong with front left.
Felt like it was going to come off.

therooster2001

I'm contemplating doing the same thing. How long did it take and what tips can you share.
Could be another thread, but I have no issues with my original run flat tires. No wobble, no shake, nothing. I am eventually going to swap them into new-ish tires I have sitting, and don’t know why I’d change them out for inserts. Have I just been lucky?

JO302

Thanks, I'll check to see how to do that.
I’d suggest getting the locking spindle nut, like the BlueHummer one at ModMafia. They are not cheap but cheaper than the alternative of having a wheel fly off while driving.

You can search YouTube or forum for how to.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went into Corpus and talked to my sheet metal guy about the hard top project for the DuraVee so he could order the aluminum sheet and then decided I better try fit the supplemental armor doors, man they are real close, almost sound like a MB door when they close, but DAMN they are HEAVY!!
IMG_20210623_161129360.jpg
I wonder what they are rated for as far as ordnance goes?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I went into Corpus and talked to my sheet metal guy about the hard top project for the DuraVee so he could order the aluminum sheet and then decided I better try fit the supplemental armor doors, man they are real close, almost sound like a MB door when they close, but DAMN they are HEAVY!!
View attachment 837722
I wonder what they are rated for as far as ordnance goes?
Whatever you have will not be rated high enough if you are sitting behind that door and something hot is coming your way! I personally have never been on the "shot at side" of a door before. Hope I never get to have that experience in the future either!

On the other hand, reading the ratings for "bullet resistant panels" seems really low and not nearly enough protection if you are on the receiving end. Add in an armor piercing projectile and the numbers for survivability drop off pretty quickly. I would guess that a .308 round would come right on in, and a .50 BMG will go through both sides of the truck. NO Protection is definitely worse than whatever numbers you might be able to find. Obviously a shot fired at an angle has a better chance of being deflected...

Planning ahead like you are doing and personal body armor on top of that is better than a lot of people have. Hopefully it works better than advertised and if the need arises you will have plenty of something to offer in return :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks