• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

M1165A1

Replaced a bad heater control valve on my M1165A1. The front vents blew hot air on A/C which got hotter as the engine warmed up.

An annoying job in some many ways! First, I order the replacement part for $213, only to find it on ebay for $65 after it arrived. Aaargh. Then the replacing took 3x as long as it should. I thought I could simply swap out the bad solenoid but it turned out to be easier to swap the whole assembly since the old hoses were worn out.

But the good news is the A/C now blows ARCTIC in the cab. I had all the windows and my turret open on an 85 degree day and I was cold with the A/C running!

rjf189

I think we have sister trucks, down to the tires (I also have the GT Cepeks but in 37 not 40). Have you figured out what the scorpion symbol is on the back of your truck?
The only thing I have been able to find out, care of someone on Facebook, is that truck likely belonged to M35014 EXERCISE SUPPORT DIV in 29 Palms. I have not found anything about the scorpion unfortunately.

There is a similar truck (but slantback) with the same number and scorpion here: https://www.marforres.marines.mil/News-Photos/Operations-and-Exercises/2017/ITX/igphoto/2001772624/

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My daughter and I were cruising when a friend called me that he was just coming behind me and my brake light was not working. I’m stupid because the brake light switch is a known problem, but there wasn’t a new one on the shelf. I bought one, airmail, installed it.
My fuel pump leak went from class one to class three and the vehicle started to not start when hot, so I grabbed a new pump and started installing it. There was a seal for the pump but not for the plate, so I used black loctite.
To access it I had to take off the splash guard and the wheel but it was still PITA. It might have been easier if I took off the AC compressor.
Once I got there so well I checked the links and unfortunately it turned out that my idler arm needed to be replaced. Is the A2 heavier idler arm with washers safe?
So I installed the new pump, started the engine and everything worked fine. We went shopping with my daughter and when we started home the engine just had a hard time starting.
At home tried to troubleshoot.
When I opened the fuel cap, it started, so it’s not the hot engine is the problem, it’s the fuel supply. The vent filter was clogged, but after I cleaned it didn’t solve the problem.
Fuel is dripping very slowly on the drain valve so maybe both pumps are faulty (chances are low) or I will have to look for the problem around the fuel filter tomorrow.
When the vehicle goes, I don’t sense any problems.

rcamacho

Removed all rear upper A arm shims.
It’s a big job but it did go much faster after getting the procedure practiced.

Off to the alignment shop Monday to see how camber turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Caactus

I think we have sister trucks, down to the tires (I also have the GT Cepeks but in 37 not 40). Have you figured out what the scorpion symbol is on the back of your truck?
I also have a sister ship. I’m fortunate to have a very knowledgeable enthusiast nearby who compensates for my lack of experience. There’s never a shortage of vehicles to wrench on and he’s very generously allowed me to get my hands dirty in an effort to become a knowledgeable owner. I tried to attach a landscape pic of 5 HMMWVs in front of his house but couldn’t get it to work.6B675A56-A1A4-4A58-A357-914822D9F389.jpeg

rjf189

I also have a sister ship. I’m fortunate to have a very knowledgeable enthusiast nearby who compensates for my lack of experience. There’s never a shortage of vehicles to wrench on and he’s very generously allowed me to get my hands dirty in an effort to become a knowledgeable owner. I tried to attach a landscape pic of 5 HMMWVs in front of his house but couldn’t get it to work.
Does he know anything about the scorpion?

rcamacho

Replaced 7.5k LF & RF axle. Autozone.
Yeah I’m aware of the quality concerns with off shore parts. The price and warranty was right.
Also took the opportunity to replace the hub input seal for good measure.

Component wise the build looks very similar to the 10k axle specification.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally made time for some long overdue work. I removed each tire (new Treadwrights installed late last year) and checked the oil in every hub, cleaning up here and there. While each tire was off I also greased the zerks and visually inspected the brake pads and rotors. My tie rod boots are in sorry shape, sadly, where there are any left. I replaced the drag link and idler and pitman arms a few years ago, but probably should have done the tie rod ends too. Oh well.
I also installed a new Pyrometer, waiting for the sending unit still. I also fiddled with the idle level, trying to figure out why I have surging while in D at a stop when the trans/motor are hot. That's for another day.
Still need to drain the oil and plenty of other jobs, but I'm glad I am able to make some time for the truck after all the life events have started quieting down.
BDGR

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If tie rods are still good, boots are available. I’m in process with this now.
“Energy Suspension 9.13119G Round Style Tie-Rod End Boot”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool! Thanks, I didn't realize I could just replace the boot. That's a will-do for my to-do list.
BDGR

M1165A1

FML. Took the M1165A1 out for a drive today. Hot antifreeze starts dribbling on my son's legs in the passenger seat. Definitely a bad heater core, so now I have to replace the evaporator. Ugggh. A $1500 part and a full day of labor ahead.

Anyone have a line on a bargain priced REV/ECV evaporator unit?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last week I replaced the rear brakes, then took it to an event over the weekend.
On the way home I started hearing noise from the front. Of course it's 50 miles from home, almost as far as the last time it happened.
Crawled under, and found the driver's side brake caliper mounting bracket had loose bolts to the differential.
Today I took it apart and used locktite and nord lock washers on those two bolts.
This also makes for the last halfshaft that still needed the blue hummer locking bolt kit installed.

e01fb3d662af49737d7a6a08c744a794e6ad5618-1.jpg
Yeah, I ended up reusing the bolt. Probably shouldn't but it is what it is.

This makes the third caliper mounting bracket that has loosened up on my truck. Front both have nordlocks, the rear I was in a hurry to finish up for the event and just tightened then down as best I could with an open end wrench, and I'll get to it later. If I remember correctly the right rear could also use a new seal for the output flange on that side, which I didn't have on hand so I didn't take it all apart.

Oh, as a side note, don't start touching anything in the brake system unless you're able to wash your hands and arms before touching anything clean.
e01fb3d662af49737d7a6a08c744a794e6ad5618-2.jpg

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last week I replaced the rear brakes, then took it to an event over the weekend.
On the way home I started hearing noise from the front. Of course it's 50 miles from home, almost as far as the last time it happened.
Crawled under, and found the driver's side brake caliper mounting bracket had loose bolts to the differential.
Today I took it apart and used locktite and nord lock washers on those two bolts.
This also makes for the last halfshaft that still needed the blue hummer locking bolt kit installed.

View attachment 841709
Yeah, I ended up reusing the bolt. Probably shouldn't but it is what it is.

This makes the third caliper mounting bracket that has loosened up on my truck. Front both have nordlocks, the rear I was in a hurry to finish up for the event and just tightened then down as best I could with an open end wrench, and I'll get to it later. If I remember correctly the right rear could also use a new seal for the output flange on that side, which I didn't have on hand so I didn't take it all apart.

Oh, as a side note, don't start touching anything in the brake system unless you're able to wash your hands and arms before touching anything clean.
View attachment 841710
WAIT !!!! I think I see the Mother Mary in your grease stained hand.. Don't wash them !!!!

Never mind, looks more like Joe Biden... Wash Immediately !!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks