• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WAIT !!!! I think I see the Mother Mary in your grease stained hand.. Don't wash them !!!!

Never mind, looks more like Joe Biden... Wash Immediately !!!!
That's not grease, Just dust and brake dust. It doesn't like to come off though, had to wash my hands 3 times before I felt safe touching anything in the house, and that was so I could go take a shower.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not grease, Just dust and brake dust. It doesn't like to come off though, had to wash my hands 3 times before I felt safe touching anything in the house, and that was so I could go take a shower.
I've long believed that a REAL man has to wash his hands BEFORE he goes pee...
Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the frayed serpentine belt with a nice new one. The pulleys did not appear to be misaligned, as best I could tell with a straight edge. I am hoping that it was the inexpensive 6 rib Dayco belt someone else put on it that was the culprit. I'm running an 8 rib NAPA-Gates belt now and it seems fine.

A few small things as well. I'm checking off the list, bit by bit. Will complete the Lube Order the next week or so.

Having cleared the flashing Wait light, the squeeking serpentine belt and inspected all hubs, I am ready to put her to back work without concerns. Time to haul a load of home remodeling demo and yard waste to the landfill. Yippee!!!

BDGR

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last week I replaced the rear brakes, then took it to an event over the weekend.
On the way home I started hearing noise from the front. Of course it's 50 miles from home, almost as far as the last time it happened.
Crawled under, and found the driver's side brake caliper mounting bracket had loose bolts to the differential.
Today I took it apart and used locktite and nord lock washers on those two bolts.
This also makes for the last halfshaft that still needed the blue hummer locking bolt kit installed.

View attachment 841709
Yeah, I ended up reusing the bolt. Probably shouldn't but it is what it is.

This makes the third caliper mounting bracket that has loosened up on my truck. Front both have nordlocks, the rear I was in a hurry to finish up for the event and just tightened then down as best I could with an open end wrench, and I'll get to it later. If I remember correctly the right rear could also use a new seal for the output flange on that side, which I didn't have on hand so I didn't take it all apart.

Oh, as a side note, don't start touching anything in the brake system unless you're able to wash your hands and arms before touching anything clean.
View attachment 841710
My hands look like that every time I walk out of my shop...

Action

FML. Took the M1165A1 out for a drive today. Hot antifreeze starts dribbling on my son's legs in the passenger seat. Definitely a bad heater core, so now I have to replace the evaporator. Ugggh. A $1500 part and a full day of labor ahead.

Anyone have a line on a bargain priced REV/ECV evaporator unit?
Why wouldnt you just replace the core?

Action

Last week I replaced the rear brakes, then took it to an event over the weekend.
On the way home I started hearing noise from the front. Of course it's 50 miles from home, almost as far as the last time it happened.
Crawled under, and found the driver's side brake caliper mounting bracket had loose bolts to the differential.
Today I took it apart and used locktite and nord lock washers on those two bolts.
This also makes for the last halfshaft that still needed the blue hummer locking bolt kit installed.

View attachment 841709

This makes the third caliper mounting bracket that has loosened up on my truck. Front both have nordlocks, the rear I was in a hurry to finish up for the event and just tightened then down as best I could with an open end wrench, and I'll get to it later. If I remember correctly the right rear could also use a new seal for the output flange on that side, which I didn't have on hand so I didn't take it all apart.

Oh, as a side note, don't start touching anything in the brake system unless you're able to wash your hands and arms before touching anything clean.
View attachment 841710
Use a torque wrench and follow the manual so they stay in.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the frayed serpentine belt with a nice new one. The pulleys did not appear to be misaligned, as best I could tell with a straight edge. I am hoping that it was the inexpensive 6 rib Dayco belt someone else put on it that was the culprit. I'm running an 8 rib NAPA-Gates belt now and it seems fine.

A few small things as well. I'm checking off the list, bit by bit. Will complete the Lube Order the next week or so.

Having cleared the flashing Wait light, the squeeking serpentine belt and inspected all hubs, I am ready to put her to back work without concerns. Time to haul a load of home remodeling demo and yard waste to the landfill. Yippee!!!

BDGR

I am not familiar with the hmmwv serpentine set up but I sold parts in another lifetime. If you had 8 rib pulleys, there is no way a 6 rib belt is going to hold up or even line up correctly for long time due to the shoulders not riding correctly. Maybe to get you off the highway but the PO did you no favor....

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor

View attachment 841709

View attachment 841710

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor

View attachment 841709

View attachment 841710
Real Humv men wear gloves and look like aliens. LOL

59019972870__EFF32CAE-54A8-4A6D-A5E5-EECD5A223852.jpg

NO bending over in the shop, CAMO

Keep a couple pair in a zip-lock bag in the rig to flag down aliens from space.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a torque wrench and follow the manual so they stay in.
Yes. Torque wrench and loctite are in the manual, the nord locks are not. Considering I only seem to notice this when it's become a major issue, I will take any advantage I can get to keep it from happening again.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Real Humv men wear gloves and look like aliens. LOL

View attachment 841741

NO bending over in the shop, CAMO

Keep a couple pair in a zip-lock bag in the rig to flag down aliens from space.
I have gloves, but have never really gotten into the habit of using them. It always seems to end up more hassle than it is worth to me, so they typically only come out when dealing with lots of grease, like bearings and such.

Mine aren't green though, so that could be part of the issue.

Action

I think they only come as a unit. Maybe I'm wrong?
My core leaked. I removed the long dash duct to look inside the evaporator assembly. It was bulgeda up in two spots. Turned out to be a bad overflow tank cap that didn't release when it was supposed to. Too much pressure caused the core to fail. You can borrow the pressure kit from autozone or just take your cap in and try it at the counter. Found a brand new core on epay for like $60.

Action

FML. Took the M1165A1 out for a drive today. Hot antifreeze starts dribbling on my son's legs in the passenger seat. Definitely a bad heater core, so now I have to replace the evaporator. Ugggh. A $1500 part and a full day of labor ahead.

Anyone have a line on a bargain priced REV/ECV evaporator unit?
If the a/c was on, then it was cold condensation from the evaporator. Either way, there is a drain hose from the bottom of unit connected to floor. You are missing the hose, or the housing has cracked, or sealant between halves needs replaced.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
True... Most of us did. Smelling like gear oil, BAD 😤 LOL

Here's another, Sleeping on the couch, CAMO
Does anybody remember the first time or two when you were removing a manual gearbox in a small pickup truck?
Before you knew about tin foil and rubberbands (before zip ties were invented) to keep the gear oil in.
Back before I knew there was a tool to plug that leak.

Anyhow, before all that was learned - gear oil that ended up - somehow in your hair?
Remember that sulphur stink that no shampoo seems to cut?

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday a friend wanted to trade my humvee for a working Mig 21U two seated fighter jet.
I didn't give.
It would be weird to cruise with my daughter in town, and I think she consumes more.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yesterday a friend wanted to trade my humvee for a working Mig 21U two seated fighter jet.
I didn't give.
It would be weird to cruise with my daughter in town, and I think she consumes more.
That would be a heck of a toy to have!

The Mig21 Fishbed internal tanks are 658 gallons and another 470 in external tanks. Without the external tanks, about 600 nautical miles so fuel mileage is not quite as good as the HMMWV. ;-) At sea level, 800 miles an hour will make your excitement really short lived.

. . . You thought the gas bill was high for the HMMWV!?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks