• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Awol

Almost T-boned some Maine bimbo at an intersection today. The brush guard was probably 6" from going straight thru her side doors windows. It was lined up perfectly with that bubble head of hers.

Then to top it all off, she acted like it was my fault. lol

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made time last weekend and the last two evenings to get the new water pump on. Also replaced the failed trans/oil cooler. Everything appears to be working and no leaks spotted. Still a lot of noise from the power steering system but I expect it will even out once all the air is run out of it.
If I never pull a cooling stack and water pump again, I will be happy! Thankfully several people came to help and made for light work and good company.
I will finish the lube order and some other repairs and after a highway shakedown I will declare it back to full mission capable.
One casualty was the headlights connector. It was corroded on so bad that no amount of penetrant would get it off. Ended up snapping the inner collar. I’ll have to find another. Won’t be waterproof until I get that replaced.
Bulldogger
IMG_5652.jpeg
IMG_5655.jpeg

IMG_5669.jpeg
Resized_20240817_111518_1723926184156.jpeg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fake news, they run hot enough without blockage.. But in retrospect Ive been running mine with Armored grill with not a problem. Good Luck
There is nothing blocked, the lights stand off the grille face by a few inches, so air can flow through there just fine.

We often speculate why the automotive engineers that designed these used the hydraulically powered cooling fan, vs the far simpler and less prone to damage viscous clutch used in almost every other vehicle. My belief is they did it because of how the vehicles are expected to be used- slow and in a convoy. A viscous clutch fan is entirely dependent on engine rpm for cooling, something that isn't going to happen in a string of mil vehicles driving slow in hot climates. The hydraulic arrangement can spin the fan much faster than a low rpm diesel and thus keep the engine cool irrespective of engine rpm.

Ram air across the cooling stack was never part of the equation, because it would seldom happen.

They run "hot enough"? With proper maintenance they run as hot as they were designed to run; no more and no less.

My opinions only, as I am not an automotive engineer, I just trust the folks that are.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have upgraded to the armored front and top grill. With my simple harbor freight thermometer it was maybe 5-8* different from the regular set up. But I can see it being an issue if the top grill is installed wrong as it definitely has a directional flow. Makes opening the hood now an exercise....

Carry on and I like what you did with the lights. I have some of those truck lights in spot, auxiliary, & flood patterns and they all kick azm. I was not sure how I would use them on the m998. Right now I have a convoy ahead sign there and if I take it off the brushguard, now have a plan b :cool:

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems my HMMWV repairs usually ends up being one step forward, three steps back... aua

It was sitting for several weeks since the beginning of Inferno Season here in Florida. I cannot take the inferno anymore in my old decrepit state and if I do go outside with the intent of working on the beast, I end of drenched from head to toe after about 15 minutes, ending up totally dehydrated, and exhausted! Like heat stroke. Wish I had a tree I could work under. Helmet top won't fit in the garage.

When I left it, AC blew ice cold.

Eventually I felt guilty and decided I better go out and turn it over just to give it a bit of exercise. I started right it up, and I turned on the AC and I start getting a huge belt squeal noice as soon as I turn on the AC. Wife even heard it inside the house! AC blows hot to add to my misery. Belts were replaced last winter. Pop the hood and AC belts look ok, but compressor is fighting it rotating in a jerking manner. Belts seem tight.

A few days later it was cloudy and raining out so I go out and pop off the belts and I can fell the compressor pulley is rough with the AC engaged. AC off the magnetic clutch disengages and it turns normally so no squeal.

So I order a new compressor, which was cheap since it is an aftermarket system, PAG oil, and new receiver dryer since it is common practice to replace with the compressor. Bought the flush for the lines in case.

Wait a few weeks more and a hurricane comes through so I have a day of no inferno and between rain showers I swap the compressor and receiver dryer, and evacuate and recharge the system. Blows arctic cold :) For once a successful repair. I check all the fittings with my leak detector and all fittings seem leak free.

Just went out now to take it for a ride over to drop off a package and fill it with dino juice. Starts out ice cold. Byt then end of the ride, it starts to blow hot air again. :eek:

I'll wait for a break in the heat and whip out the gauges and see what I find.

Always something with this beast!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems my HMMWV repairs usually ends up being one step forward, three steps back... aua

It was sitting for several weeks since the beginning of Inferno Season here in Florida. I cannot take the inferno anymore in my old decrepit state and if I do go outside with the intent of working on the beast, I end of drenched from head to toe after about 15 minutes, ending up totally dehydrated, and exhausted! Like heat stroke. Wish I had a tree I could work under. Helmet top won't fit in the garage.

When I left it, AC blew ice cold.

Eventually I felt guilty and decided I better go out and turn it over just to give it a bit of exercise. I started right it up, and I turned on the AC and I start getting a huge belt squeal noice as soon as I turn on the AC. Wife even heard it inside the house! AC blows hot to add to my misery. Belts were replaced last winter. Pop the hood and AC belts look ok, but compressor is fighting it rotating in a jerking manner. Belts seem tight.

A few days later it was cloudy and raining out so I go out and pop off the belts and I can fell the compressor pulley is rough with the AC engaged. AC off the magnetic clutch disengages and it turns normally so no squeal.

So I order a new compressor, which was cheap since it is an aftermarket system, PAG oil, and new receiver dryer since it is common practice to replace with the compressor. Bought the flush for the lines in case.

Wait a few weeks more and a hurricane comes through so I have a day of no inferno and between rain showers I swap the compressor and receiver dryer, and evacuate and recharge the system. Blows arctic cold :) For once a successful repair. I check all the fittings with my leak detector and all fittings seem leak free.

Just went out now to take it for a ride over to drop off a package and fill it with dino juice. Starts out ice cold. Byt then end of the ride, it starts to blow hot air again. :eek:

I'll wait for a break in the heat and whip out the gauges and see what I find.

Always something with this beast!
Did you completely flush all the lines,evap and cond? if not you likely fried the new comp with particular matter left when the original compressor cashed in.