• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Awol

So just for kicks, I decided to calculate the mpg of the Humvee.

I drove it 154 miles between fill ups, and it took 11.54 gallons. So if my math is correct, it's averaging 13.34 mpg.

That's mixed driving around the city, country back roads, and even some trips up and down Rt95 going 70mph.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I drove it 154 miles between fill ups, and it took 11.54 gallons. So if my math is correct, it's averaging 13.34 mpg.

That's mixed driving around the city, country back roads, and even some trips up and down Rt95 going 70mph.
This would be more informative if you reveal what truck you have... ;)

Thunderbirds

Interesting. I’ve been pushing around the same thought, and for 210 miles i had to fill up 17 gallons (almost even). That brought me to 12.35 mpg on my M1123, 6.5 non turbo. But a lot of idling and starting while troubleshooting. Gonna repeat the test in the near future…

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I did the same but towing the sxs and a 4 wheeler in the 16' trailer, a small 4 wheeler in the bed and 4 passengers. Did around 8.5 mpg. M1123, turbo engine and 40's.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the deck!

Everything bagged and tagged, or marked on the part itself.
I found an old guy locally that specializes in radiator repair, so I took the rad over to him and he re-soldered everything. Most of these side weldments were broken loose, and my theory is that it put stress on the core enough to start the leak. It was $135 fixed out the door.

1721707002049.png

He took it up to 15psi and it tests good, so back in it went, pretty much the reverse as it came out.

This caution confuses me. Those are all English words, and I know what they all mean, but I really don't understand the message they are trying to convey.

1721707310368.png

So is this saying, make sure there isn't a gap? Make sure the seam and shroud are parallel? After burping the air several times it all seems to be back to working condition. If it fails again I'll replace with an aluminum one.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found an old guy locally that specializes in radiator repair, so I took the rad over to him and he re-soldered everything. Most of these side weldments were broken loose, and my theory is that it put stress on the core enough to start the leak. It was $135 fixed out the door.

If it fails again I'll replace with an aluminum one.
Am envious you found a radiator repairman. There are none left where I live. I went with the Champion and it's great though. Still, I've had other vehicles and will no doubt again have other vehicles that could have used a place that can repair radiators. Take everything you can to him, before he retires!

BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks