• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can HMMWV be possessed? So today I go out preparing to remove the filter that leaked yesterday. The system is very low so most of it leaked out overnight. Put in enough R134 to find any leaks. Fire up the leak detector and hit every single fitting and hose again.

The leak I had yesterday at the filter is now gone - it self sealed?!?! I don't understand how that can be.

And now there is a leak at the fittings where the hoses connect to the compressor. They were sealed tight yesterday! So I tighten both the high side and the low side fittings and no leaks detected. I'll replace the o-rings on them if they leak again.

Shove in the rest of the can so the level is low, but no point in wasting more if leaks come and go!

System seems leak free now, but I'll leave it overnight and see what leaks develop. If it it has no leaks I'll add another can tomorrow.

Maybe I am going to host an exorcism!
Well today, the same old one step forward, three steps back!

I checked the entire system with the leak detector on the most sensitive setting and it is good and sealed - no leaks detected. :) Started it up and the pressures read the same as two days ago so I do not think it lost any refrigerant.

But I heard what I thought might either be belt squeal or maybe a bearing noise! Seemed to quiet down as the engine warmed up.

Also, today the high side gauge reading was fluctuating by about 25 pounds of range! It was not doing that two days ago. That could either be insufficient air flow across the condenser (electric fan was running) or overcharge. I don't believe it was overcharged as the low side was 30 lbs at 80 degrees and high side was flucuating rapidly between 200 and 225.

I filled up the refrigerant, less than one can needed, and it was cold inside, so I buttoned up the engine for now and see how it goes driving on the road.

Like I said, possessed?

Last edited:

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious do the new compressors come charged with oil?
Is yours a 2 man or 4 man (has rear evap)?
Yes, the new compressor came with oil. However the instructions, which were well written, state to drain that oil. I think the PAG oil absorbs moisture and who knows how long they sit on the shelf. The instructions state the proper amount and type of oil to add for the compressor alone. Since I flushed the system (twice), they also state the amount of extra oil to add for evap, cond, receiver dryer, and hoses.

I have just a front evap, so I guess that is 2 man. I was thinking about adding the rear one as I have seen them for sale but they are expensive. I could add a second aftermarket evap for the rear which would be reasonable. But I have had so much troubles with an aftermarket system that I think it is better to leave it alone - at least for now.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the new compressor came with oil. However the instructions, which were well written, state to drain that oil. I think the PAG oil absorbs moisture and who knows how long they sit on the shelf. The instructions state the proper amount and type of oil to add for the compressor alone. Since I flushed the system (twice), they also state the amount of extra oil to add for evap, cond, receiver dryer, and hoses.

I have just a front evap, so I guess that is 2 man. I was thinking about adding the rear one as I have seen them for sale but they are expensive. I could add a second aftermarket evap for the rear which would be reasonable. But I have had so much troubles with an aftermarket system that I think it is better to leave it alone - at least for now.
You would need to add another condenser to add another evep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks