• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple job got harder

Was checking my battery connections due to some odd behavior of my alternator gauge during cold statup. It would cycle between yellow, red and green during the after glow. It would even push hard past the red to the right on the dial, which concerned me! It only happened a few times though. Recent issue.

Checked the battery disconnect, it was tight and doing fine. Then noticed the positive cables on the inner firewall were loose. The nut looked odd, so I took it off. Turns out that it was the wrong threads, and the insides of the nut (pictured on top/right) were nearly smooth and the threads on the post were badly damaged as well. No wonder it wouldn't stay tight!

So a simple remove/clean/retighten turned into recutting the threads on the post to a slightly smaller diameter and finding a nut to match in my tubs of odds and ends. Ended up cutting the threads to M18x1.75 (if I recall correctly). Since the post is brass, it made cutting threads much easier, which is good since it would have been a long hard job to take it off. The back of the post is very hard to get to and it's got plenty of cables bolted (tightly, I checked) to it. Due to the tight space I could not get a standards die holder in, so I used a vise grip to hold the die. Would not have worked with a steel post I bet.

So, cut the new threads and cleaned everything up and put it all together. Then cleaned the other connections (most were clean since I installed new batteries only a year ago) and sprayed all with battery post protector.

I'll do a cold startup this afternoon and observe the gauge to see if the issue is past. I hope so!

Bulldogger
IMG_0135[1].jpg

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the weathered troop seats
oak slats with some nice mahogany and stainless steel hardware. What do you think?

Mark

20170516_194135.jpg
20170516_194057.jpg
20170516_194049.jpg
20170516_194038.jpg
20170516_194026.jpg

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the old oak slats with 1"×4" solid mahogany. All the wood only ran 75 bucks. Two coats of linseed oil and one coat of beeswax and lemon protector. Should hold up well.

Mark

Presale

Installed sun visors, rear view mirror, off road lights, USB plugs, interior lights, console w/ cup holders & cell phone mount, indoor/outdoor carpet in the bed.

Temporarily removed the rear cover.
Towing to Galveston tomorrow for 4 days.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed sun visors, rear view mirror, off road lights, USB plugs, interior lights, console w/ cup holders & cell phone mount, indoor/outdoor carpet in the bed.

Lets see some pics.

Mark

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found that my clean and repair of the battery connections didn't solve the overcharging. Measured voltage manually with a test meter and found 30.5 V pegging after the afterglow cycle was finished.
Dug into the TM and followed the instructions to adjust the voltage regulator. Worked a treat, and now she's at 27.4 V. Drove around a bit and holding steady so far.
Bulldogger

General Hood

Post up some photos, it sounds like you had a productive day

orgnal

Found that my clean and repair of the battery connections didn't solve the overcharging. Measured voltage manually with a test meter and found 30.5 V pegging after the afterglow cycle was finished.
Dug into the TM and followed the instructions to adjust the voltage regulator. Worked a treat, and now she's at 27.4 V. Drove around a bit and holding steady so far.
Bulldogger
Congratulations ! It is always a relief to successfully fix something.

McReddy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks