• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lately it has seemed like my truck has been missing at high rpms/heavy load. Took the BEOD off the back (2500 lbs)and drove it again, still sounding like it's missing at high speed/load, and doesn't want to go over 60mph.

Decided to check the fuel in the filter, so opened the valve by the front wheel and nothing came out while truck was cranking or running. Soon afterwards the engine stumbled and died.

I am assuming that the fuel lift pump has died and the injection pump just couldn't suck enough fuel under heavy load, so I have a pump on order. Any chance I screwed up and it's not the lift pump? (sounds great at idle and low speed)

Action

The lift pump is dead. You would especially notice lack of power and slowing down when going up a large hill. I replaced mine, then the filter, and it was like a new motor ! If the diaphragm failed, it may clog up the filter.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Lately it has seemed like my truck has been missing at high rpms/heavy load. Took the BEOD off the back (2500 lbs)and drove it again, still sounding like it's missing at high speed/load, and doesn't want to go over 60mph.

Decided to check the fuel in the filter, so opened the valve by the front wheel and nothing came out while truck was cranking or running. Soon afterwards the engine stumbled and died.

I am assuming that the fuel lift pump has died and the injection pump just couldn't suck enough fuel under heavy load, so I have a pump on order. Any chance I screwed up and it's not the lift pump? (sounds great at idle and low speed)
If one searches in this forum in simple words of your problems... it will show up and give you something to go on. Recurring problem week after week. LOL

See this https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...ying-after-a-mile-or-two.202343/#post-2356437

fuel pump.jpg And the little things that mess up in your tank IMG_7327.jpgIMG_7336.jpg
Been there done that too, CAMO

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If one searches in this forum in simple words of your problems... it will show up and give you something to go on. Recurring problem week after week. LOL

See this https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...ying-after-a-mile-or-two.202343/#post-2356437

View attachment 831606 And the little things that mess up in your tank View attachment 831607View attachment 831608
Been there done that too, CAMO
Yeah.
I had my tank dropped and checked it all out when I first bought the rig, it was clean inside. I dropped it because of a hole someone drilled/manufactured in the top of the tank that leaked when it was full.
Fuel comes from the same sources as my car (VW TDI) and it's never shown any water or dirt in the filter, so by process of elimination it either needed to be the fuel pump failed, or perhaps I had overlooked something.
As you said, it shows up time after time in this forum, so no need to do my own or hijack someone else's unless something different comes up.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spring cleaning.

Found a brandy new wiper motor. Found not one but two sets of Airlift bumper installation brackets. Relocated Extra injection pump, Three military huge fairleads, Four spare halfsgafts, Pintle extension, and my brand new 24V 12 ton spare winch for the rear of the vehicle.

Now all are placed neatly in labeled boxes in my storage room.

Hooray for Spring.

therooster2001

Did some maintenance on the truck. Finally got around to changing the front boots on the ball joints. They were ok on uppers, but completely dead on lowers. Everything got new boots (energy suspension ones) On the passenger side, I adjusted the hub to line things up, and heard a clunk. I didn’t do the spring scale test, but that Idler arm looks a little too suspect. I bought new tie rods a while back, just in case, as the tie rod boots were beat up too, so tackling the tie rods next. The boot near the hub was just pulled off in the video, but nothing was really holding it. They didn’t seem to move, but that Idler sure did. Got that and some new cotter pins coming.

Clunk...

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just ordered all the bolts washers and nuts and spacers I need from Mac Motors to install my Airlift bumper and pintle extension and ratcheting spare tire carrier.

Looks like I just made my weekend plans.

Woo Hoo.

😁

Spring cleaning.

Found a brandy new wiper motor. Found not one but two sets of Airlift bumper installation brackets. Relocated Extra injection pump, Three military huge fairleads, Four spare halfsgafts, Pintle extension, and my brand new 24V 12 ton spare winch for the rear of the vehicle.

Now all are placed neatly in labeled boxes in my storage room.

Hooray for Spring.
Id like a pintle extender. Cant pull my equipment trailer without one... or removing the spare.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished removing the remaining glow plugs and wouldn't you know the hardest to reach (#1 cylinder) was stuck. The Black Dog Customs removal tool worked as advertised although the tight work space made it challenging at first. Applied some anti-seize prior to installation, torqued to spec, and added a lil dab of dielectric grease to the boots for good measure. Started up nicely after a 7-8 sec Wait light. Voltage pulsed a few times over the next minute or so before settling into the green range.
- HoveringHMMWV

IMG_7280.JPG

IMG_7281.JPG

IMG_7282.JPG

IMG_7283.JPG

Lothar

After ordering some rigid molle panels and being disappointed in the high price of plastic sheets with holes, I decided to see if I could make a small one to fit on top of my ac unit. Using one of those expensive panels as a jig and a 6 dollar piece of hdpe I managed to make one with only a few mistakes and didn't quite destroy the original. Anyway, the pouches cover the mistakes and it works as intended. And I learned you can make a nice flat finish with 220 grit and an orbital sander.20210420_125555.jpg20210420_142140.jpg20210420_155310.jpg20210420_164240.jpg20210420_164324.jpg

Lothar

Made a bracket and rerouted a cooling line to add this 24v alternator to the Duramax. Hope to purchase batteries soon and rig up a 24v system so my AC will work along with heater blower motor and a couple other things.

Attachments

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Broke in my new Milwaukee high torque impact wrench.

Rust here by the ocean is significant. This device made removal of the front bumper effortless.

Getting ready to install an electric military winch. Turning the M1025A1 into an M1026A1

M1025A1 front bumper removed.jpeg

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You Marines out there will remember these iso sleeping mats. I used a few of them, some mirror trim and spray adhesive to insulate the hardtop. And added another rigid molle panel....
That is an excellent idea. I was wondering what I could use to insulate my 1045A2. Now I know, thanks. Did you use headliner spray adhesive or what?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks