• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay thats badass...you gonna do armored doors?
I previously posted this photo of my doors a few months ago. Doors are 1/2” thick aluminum (2 slabs of 1/4” bonded together). 400% thicker than the 1/8” thick aluminum doors offered by most other aftermarket fabricators. These doors are fabricated by “TwistedMetalwork.com”. My plan is to use stainless 18” continuous hinges due to heavy weight of doors.A520E9E5-51B0-48D8-9062-9BFB77B92180.jpeg

Last edited:

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just remember that stainless steel and aluminum don't like each other, so if you are in a wet or salty environment you might have some corrosion issues.
Thank you for the advice, Coug. Yes actually, I live right on the coast. I am familiar with Inter granular corrosion, and it will be prevented/mitigated by adequate means.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the advice, Coug. Yes actually, I live right on the coast. I am familiar with Inter granular corrosion, and it will be prevented/mitigated by adequate means.
Just wanted to make sure. I've seen too many people post things where they think because it's "stainless" that it will never have any type of issue no matter what they do with it.
I'm also somewhat near a coast, so very familiar with corrosion here also.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knot the way to do it. What a tangled web we weave. I hope you tied up all the loose ends.

Puns are now out of the way. I feel better now.

Tie a rope to the ends you’re pulling back out so the untangled wires can follow the correct path back down.

Sorry for poking fun. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who has done stuff like this.

RJTM998

VIC1 4 MSN setup and radios installed.

Attachments

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today and some days before... bringing my rig home..
B92ECAA3-B14A-47B3-BA2E-A13B01FF940D.jpeg30E4AE96-3D4B-43A0-8D25-6A9B79D941CB.jpegBC31068E-DE0B-4BE7-85ED-EBE08DB679AF.jpeg

Done some inspections... especially the spindels. Found some hand-warm or loose bolds on the half shafts inner and outer side.
But the spindels were all correct secured.

Installed the antenna
71DF40D3-3F47-45B8-B8B9-7FBE23D07DBC.jpeg

Installed the Arktic top.
7DD9A123-CA03-4755-97E8-54C8EF9D4663.jpegAD48B656-48BE-4C86-8225-9047FA5D30A7.jpeg

Fixing two half shaft boots. Both inner side rear left and front right.
Need some brain to figure it out how to disassable the axle. Need to fill all this by using the inner side of the half shaft. Strange!
And realize that the 10k A2 trucks have 12k axles. And the boots from the 10k are 1cm smaler in diameter!

68577CE2-035E-4474-9387-3532679F5A0C.jpeg8F71FE4C-A09C-48FE-ACA7-D13CFEC1FE4B.jpeg

what a mess... I will be very happy when the parts come today, I have everything back together and can finally clean up the bench.

And right now... i have to figure it out why my windsheeld wipers not working. Even with a new switch.
F1BF5707-1D2C-4053-AD4E-D03CFD8706F5.jpeg

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today and some days before... bringing my rig home..
View attachment 878045View attachment 878046View attachment 878047

Done some inspections... especially the spindels. Found some hand-warm or loose bolds on the half shafts inner and outer side.
But the spindels were all correct secured.

Installed the antenna
View attachment 878049

Installed the Arktic top.
View attachment 878051View attachment 878053

Fixing two half shaft boots. Both inner side rear left and front right.
Need some brain to figure it out how to disassable the axle. Need to fill all this by using the inner side of the half shaft. Strange!
And realize that the 10k A2 trucks have 12k axles. And the boots from the 10k are 1cm smaler in diameter!

View attachment 878055View attachment 878056

what a mess... I will be very happy when the parts come today, I have everything back together and can finally clean up the bench.

And right now... i have to figure it out why my windsheeld wipers not working. Even with a new switch.
View attachment 878052

First thing to do is see if you have power to the switch. I had a problem with mine as the wipers only worked in the rain. The contacts at the bottom of the windshield get rusty and as in my case when damp outside it was able to make enough of a connection to work. My fix was to liberally spray some WD40 at the seam line at the bottom middle of the windshield frame. About a foot wide path. Worked great and have not had an issue for two years now. Just wipe off any excess oil from the paint with a soapy hot watered rag.

Hope this helps,

Mark

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It normally is bad contacts where the windshield contacts the cowling. since you have no top it is easy to fold down the windshield and clean them

I concur as without a top it is easy to fold down and clean but as I have a top it's a tad more work. lol

Mark

Lothar

I was able to replace the contacts and seals by just prying the windshield frame up a couple inches and didnt have to disassemble any of the hardtop. After finishing, it seemed that if one does not intend to do any windshield folding, it would be best to just hard wire those connections. I will also add that first I tried cleaning up the contacts which worked for a short amount of time but since the rubber was aged, the lower contacts were depressed lower than they should be and the rubber was not pliable enough to keep upward pressure. New contacts are here, among other places.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to replace the contacts and seals by just prying the windshield frame up a couple inches and didnt have to disassemble any of the hardtop. After finishing, it seemed that if one does not intend to do any windshield folding, it would be best to just hard wire those connections. I will also add that first I tried cleaning up the contacts which worked for a short amount of time but since the rubber was aged, the lower contacts were depressed lower than they should be and the rubber was not pliable enough to keep upward pressure. New contacts are here, amoung other places.
You could put a small brass washer on top of each contact

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks