• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Improved X door hinge pin. Credit to Tom Rogers on this one. The pins usually bend/break at the press relief. Grade 8 5/16”x5” bolts and metal locking nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hard to tell from the pictures, but are you using a locknut for that?

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stop the annoying gouging of the air intake side cover. Simply remove the right side hood latch, grind 1/8” metal from inside edge (see area marked in red). Repaint, re-install. Hood opens easier and no longer contacts the air intake cover.
Yes, I still need to repaint intake cover.

A20528C3-E91C-4174-A330-E209E9BFB7A6.jpeg53E47E91-A2A8-4E0C-873D-C6B51826FB15.jpeg

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stripped slant back corroded armor and treating with chelation agent. Hopefully ready for paint soon.

I’m not a big fan of bed liner but I would be tempted to spray the back with Line-X or something equal. I see trucks at auction and they are all rusted from the armor. Maybe POR15 would be good for the back also.

rcamacho

I’m not a big fan of bed liner but I would be tempted to spray the back with Line-X or something equal. I see trucks at auction and they are all rusted from the armor. Maybe POR15 would be good for the back also.
Yeah. Galvanic corrosion is real. Even a thin layer f corrosion protection would be an improvement.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stripped slant back corroded armor and treating with chelation agent. Hopefully ready for paint soon.

Muriatic acid will clean it right up........... NOT FOR THE ACCIDENT PRONE TYPES!!! clean up and dilute with plenty of baking soda....... keep a 5 gallon pail mixed up first for first aid. Its nasty stuff but works wonders. A heavy piece of plastic to pool the piece in works, when through neutralize it in place... co2 and water remain. I bet I hear plenty about this one.......

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I solved my rear-view mirror problem. I'd picked up a windshield mounted mirror but I don't want it on the glass- visibility is already too limited.

I used an aircraft clamp to mount it to the first support bar and it works perfect.

View attachment 884689
View attachment 884690
What are you talking about. We have unobstructed panoramic views from the front seat. LOL

Looks good,

Mark

Mk23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great Job! I love the look of the valley!

I have a pretty rusted up valley on the 1151A1 I am working on now. Have the manifolds out, IP out, Lines out, etc. What black paint/rust treatment did you use?

In the past month I got my m1123 titled and registered, replaced all the fuel lines, replaced the injection pump, painted the intake manifold and engine valley. Today I installed a soft top. Was finally able to drive down the street and back. Still need to check the hubs and replace the gear oil. Also, several lights that need fixin.

View attachment 883980
View attachment 883981

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great Job! I love the look of the valley!

I have a pretty rusted up valley on the 1151A1 I am working on now. Have the manifolds out, IP out, Lines out, etc. What black paint/rust treatment did you use?
First I went at it with a dremel and a 3m disc to get as much rust off as I could, then I applied naval jelly and wire brushed it by hand. It looked pretty good after that. I used Rustoleum Engine Enamel for the paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks