• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in the garage - hey, what are these 4 quarts of gear oil for? OH! I never swapped out the gear oil in the diffs!

Easy enough job so I attacked it after work. 3/8 plugs, pull the fill plug, pull the drain plug, re-tape and reinstall the drain plug. Wrote "3/8" on the diffs with a Marsh white marker for next time. Pump the gear oil until it's juuuuust oozing out, re-tape and reinstall the fill plug. Repeat for the rear after running to NAPA for one more quart.

The fluid that came out the front diff looked new, not almost new but brand new. Some light greasy fuzz on the magnet.

The fluid that came out the rear looked almost new and the magnet was clean - like nothing on it.

The front took just over two quarts and the rear took just under three - so buy 5 and you should be good.

jake20

They came out no problem.

I did learn a valuable lesson driving to NAPA. Unzipping the soft-door window while traveling at 40MPH and keeping the truck on the road seem to be almost mutually exclusive tasks. I won't try that again...
For all 3 trucks I've touched thus far, I've replaced every single one of those plugs once I've got it out 😂

For under a dollar each at Kascar, ordered a metric ton of them lol

jake20

Tried TIG welding aluminum for the first time, man it's a picky ordeal...

I'm making a new chicken shield out of aluminum since the steel one is too heavy for the bearing on my 10 series turret. This is like a feather so far compared to the steel one.

Anyway, I cut the shape out, had it bent on a brake, and I just finished welding the support bars across it. A few more pieces but hopefully it goes smoother. Some of the welds turned out pretty decent, some just look like globs lol

Attachments

rcamacho

Replaced LR lower ball joint and serviced + adjusted hub.

Hub was mis-assembled & loose. Bearings and gears were good surprisingly.
Steering arm bolts were loose.
Ball joint bolts and stud loose.
Radius arm ball joint warn out, on the list now…

More discoveries of great work by Pvt. Sabotage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamble

Did you come across new frames/glass or are you restoring an old set of frames and putting new glass in?
Found a set of IBISTEK windshield system and located a decent set of clear glass with minimal delam.

Finding new is next to impossible as I istek went out of business or rather was shutdown.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks