• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done WITH your FMTV ( trips, Rescues etc) NOT: fixes, updates etc

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, he’s correct right around 2400. Mine were a little less, right at 2260. I have a dynamometer to scale them before i went to move them but the sceptic company I got them from already had the known weight. I still have another project for my brother using them that will need them to be stacked so ill get pictures of that later on.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to a charity off-road event in Ocotillo Wells with a couple of Jeep clubs. They kept telling me I wasn't going to make it and avoid these particular parts of the trail. I didn't avoid them I made it through despite extremely twisty slot canyons!
Sergeant York in the slot canyonsView attachment 884342View attachment 884343View attachment 884344View attachment 884345
LMTVs/MTVs are more nimble than people think. If you compare the smallest box that an MTV and a Chevy Silverado fit into, the length and width aren't that different. One of the biggest issues is the height, depending on where you're going, and I've spent many hours cutting down branches and limbs so that I could pass underneath trees.

themeec

Got out with the gang to track down some Christmas trees, and enjoy all the great snow we've been getting in the mountains here in Idaho.

We were the first to get to the trail in the AM, so got to lay some fresh tracks for my friends, and a whole convoy of classic Broncos that showed up behind us (I was driving, so didn't get pics, I'll grab some that my buddy took when I can)

IMG_0259.JPG

themeec

LMTVs/MTVs are more nimble than people think. If you compare the smallest box that an MTV and a Chevy Silverado fit into, the length and width aren't that different. One of the biggest issues is the height, depending on where you're going, and I've spent many hours cutting down branches and limbs so that I could pass underneath trees.
Hit the nail on the head. I've had many modern full sizes pull up on the trail and are astonished how tame the footprint of my 1078 really is by comparison. Thanks to the tire size and axle location, my wheelbase hub-to-hub is generally a touch shorter that a lot of crew cab models built nowadays.

But yeah, speaking of hitting things on the head, starting to realize why so many guys put bull-bars around their cabs haha.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hit the nail on the head. I've had many modern full sizes pull up on the trail and are astonished how tame the footprint of my 1078 really is by comparison. Thanks to the tire size and axle location, my wheelbase hub-to-hub is generally a touch shorter that a lot of crew cab models built nowadays.

But yeah, speaking of hitting things on the head, starting to realize why so many guys put bull-bars around their cabs haha.
When you're the same height as the Philistine giant Goliath, You got to protect your head you know!
And watch out for David...

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parade day in Efland!

The truck was a big hit. Lots of people came by to check it out and all the kids wanted to climb inside. We had a lot of fun.

Attachments

Guruman

Not so new member
No video..... it's just a tight rope minus the acrobat rofl
Yeah, I didn't say it went well. I broke about a hundred feet off the end of my speedy 500 foot synthetic line, which left the tree, which had been mostly cut, standing there leaning towards the shop. I had to quickly string together some straps, get the wife in the truck to put some tension on it, while I deepened the cut a bit.

It was a total goat rope. I was too busy trying to not get anyone hurt, or destroy my shop to shoot any video.

On a related note, I'm not exactly Sure why the line broke, unless that winch is putting out way more than it's rating, in which case I need to reconsider my line choice and step up to 7/16 or 1/2 synthetic.

coachgeo

Yeah, I didn't say it went well. I broke about a hundred feet off the end of my speedy 500 foot synthetic line, which left the tree, which had been mostly cut, standing there leaning towards the shop. I had to quickly string together some straps, get the wife in the truck to put some tension on it, while I deepened the cut a bit.

It was a total goat rope. I was too busy trying to not get anyone hurt, or destroy my shop to shoot any video.

On a related note, I'm not exactly Sure why the line broke, unless that winch is putting out way more than it's rating, in which case I need to reconsider my line choice and step up to 7/16 or 1/2 synthetic.
lol which winch are you speaking of? Military or Civilian?

- military PTO winch on FMTV is rated (I believe) on OUTER most winding on the winch's spool. And it is a heck a lot of wire cable on them so that outer layer creates a very large pulley compared to the size it would be if you spooled out all the cable (leaving a single layer on the spool)

- civilian winches are rated by the inner most / LAST winding on the winch's spool after its been pulled out to I think 3 raps on the spool.

Last winding force comes off a smaller pulley in essence; thus it is a higher force potential.... a pretty larger number compared to the out most winding / in essence a larger pulley ... this large figure looks cooler to the buyer and likely why civilian winches are rated that way. IMHO it's a bit more informative to a winch user anyway.. guess it matters how you do the math in your head.

-On military winches what you in net result have is the pull potential force figure goes up higher beyond the rating the less on your spool you have, prior to start the winch job.
-On civilian winches it is opposite .... the less you have on the spool prior to starting the winch job....... the closer you get to its rating..... the more you have on the spool when you start...the further below the rating you are.

IMHO your best bet when replacement metal winch line with synthetic rope on a military winch is to get info from a rigging rating chart based on the size and type steel wire cable that was on winch from factory....... Don't go by the winch rating. So if the wire cable is rated up to 50,000 based on its 7/8 inch size (that's a guess..... I dont recall) then use synthetic rope with same rating.

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
lol which winch are you speaking of? Military or Civilian?

- military PTO winch on FMTV is rated (I believe) on OUTER most winding on the winch's spool. And it is a heck a lot of wire cable on them so that outer layer creates a very large pulley compared to the size it would be if you spooled out all the cable (leaving a single layer on the spool)

- civilian winches are rated by the inner most / LAST winding on the winch's spool after its been pulled out to I think 3 raps on the spool.

Last winding force comes off a smaller pulley in essence; thus it is a higher force potential.... a pretty larger number compared to the out most winding / in essence a larger pulley ... this large figure looks cooler to the buyer and likely why civilian winches are rated that way. IMHO it's a bit more informative to a winch user anyway.. guess it matters how you do the math in your head.

-On military winches what you in net result have is the pull potential force figure goes up higher beyond the rating the less on your spool you have, prior to start the winch job.
-On civilian winches it is opposite .... the less you have on the spool prior to starting the winch job....... the closer you get to its rating..... the more you have on the spool when you start...the further below the rating you are.

IMHO your best bet when replacement metal winch line with synthetic rope on a military winch is to get info from a rigging rating chart based on the size and type steel wire cable that was on winch from factory....... Don't go by the winch rating. So if the wire cable is rated up to 50,000 based on its 7/8 inch size (that's a guess..... I dont recall) then use synthetic rope with same rating.
A few things:

It's actually the military winch, but off a 5 ton, so it has a higher rating that then 2.5 ton version 18k, I think.

In the specs for the winch (Made by D&P IIRC) it actually specifies the rating is on the first layer (rated like a civilian winch).

I based the line off that rating, and I was no where near the first layer of the drum... I think the thing is just batting above it's average.

At first I drug the truck backwards a bit, then I got in and held the brake, that's when the line broke. because I was in the cab I did not see wheat actually happened. But it broke on the truck end of the connection as there is no slack on the truck end afterward, in fact I think it broke at the drum, because I did not see the end at all. I hope to get back out there and have a look sometime soon, but after the debacle, I just wanted to get inside and have a sit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks