• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done WITH your FMTV ( trips, Rescues etc) NOT: fixes, updates etc

Crazyls2

I was coming home from the gym yesterday and traffic was back up for a long way. I pulled along side a broken down tow truck (on of those large rotator style trucks) and asked if he wanted me to pull him off the road so he was more safe and so traffic could flow. He asked me, "do you think that think can pull it?" I told him I didn't know but we can try.

I didn't even know that truck was back there. I continue to be blown away at how capable these M1078's are. I would love to go run it through the woods and she what kind of damage I can do, but all I can think about is how screwed I am if I get it stuck. My Chevy 2500 probably isn't pulling this 8 ton truck out.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was coming home from the gym yesterday and traffic was back up for a long way. I pulled along side a broken down tow truck (on of those large rotator style trucks) and asked if he wanted me to pull him off the road so he was more safe and so traffic could flow. He asked me, "do you think that think can pull it?" I told him I didn't know but we can try.

I didn't even know that truck was back there. I continue to be blown away at how capable these M1078's are. I would love to go run it through the woods and she what kind of damage I can do, but all I can think about is how screwed I am if I get it stuck. My Chevy 2500 probably isn't pulling this 8 ton truck out.
The guy driving the broken down Rotator isn't your average wrecker driver or truck driver . The ability to know he still had air to release the brakes was Step #1. Being careful to not waste whatever air was left is Step #2. Your driving gently forward and gently tugging that rotator maybe three or four times the size of your truck required everything to be just right. VERY COOL that you were able to help that guy out!

Talking to my son who liked to "do the jeep thing" the other day.
He said the key was to always have friends with you - or to have friends on call -.
They need to be willing and capable friends too that think first and act second!

m715mike

I don’t know why you are worried about getting stuck? It sounds like you now have a friend with a rotator!!!

Third From Texas

Three days, two nights, case of Dos Equis, a 12 pack of Coors light, case of Gatorade, 20 gal fresh water, four hamburgers, dozen eggs, assorted fixin's. Several buddies stopped by to hang out over the course of the adventure (I live 12 minutes from here).

Up a cooler full of finger mullet for winter bait. One Black Tip, two Spanish Mackerel, several Skipjack (more bait).

Really just went out to burn a load of wood that I'd cleared prior to this past storm. Decided to stay until my supplies ran out. Honestly, only came in because the poor dog is exhausted.

90's during the day (mostly slept in the a/c). Fished mornings and evenings. Nights were in the lower 70's.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Three days, two nights, case of Dos Equis, a 12 pack of Coors light, case of Gatorade, 20 gal fresh water, four hamburgers, dozen eggs, assorted fixin's. Several buddies stopped by to hang out over the course of the adventure (I live 12 minutes from here).

Up a cooler full of finger mullet for winter bait. One Black Tip, two Spanish Mackerel, several Skipjack (more bait).

Really just went out to burn a load of wood that I'd cleared prior to this past storm. Decided to stay until my supplies ran out. Honestly, only came in because the poor dog is exhausted.

90's during the day (mostly slept in the a/c). Fished mornings and evenings. Nights were in the lower 70's.

Seems like a first class trip to me!
Poor puppy... All tired out.
DEFINITELY and inside in with the AC would be the only way to be there!
Glad you had a big time.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

You have got it made ! without a doubt rite there im positive i could consume some ice cold beer and smoke some fish !!!! Now we know why youve been so quite !

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got gravel for the 1084s new home. Used the truck as a impromptu roller to pack the gravel down.

Attachments

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me and my brother used the 1084 yesterday to go pick up a 1061a1 trailer that I acquired. Was 175 mile round trip south of me. Had no hiccups and it ran great. The trailer was in great shape with practically new looking tires and pulled great behind the truck. Also slipped in a picture from last week moving some hay around with it.

Attachments

Reworked LMTV

Forecast was for some dry air with lows in the 70's and highs in the 90's for a week so I loaded up Monday and spend four days, three nights surf fishing.

Got a blacktip each day and reds were running Tuesday.

Ran out of beer or I'd have stayed another night. LOL

View attachment 847359

View attachment 847360

View attachment 847361

View attachment 847362View attachment 847363View attachment 847364
Looks like a great outing! You appear to be suffering so much.... lol

In Tx do you have to have a CDL to pull the trailer? Air brakes changes things in some States.

Wish I had the cover like yours on my M1082.

Tourists treat the beach and locals like a rental car. I know, lived on Hilton Head. In Yellowstone we called them Tourons. Cross between a Tourist and a Moron.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just took mine out for a little joy ride in the snow. No drama other than I think I have a little ice in an air line of the CTIS system. It was NOT happy!

Spooling up the turbo on the brake would give you a good bit of wheel spin. :D

Other than the CTIS flashing like a cheap christmas tree the truck did fine. Very stable on the road. There is a glaze of ice under the couple inches of snow so I puttered down the road. Guess if I HAVE to go grocery shopping later I know I can make it! haha

2022-01-22 09.50.36 (Medium).jpg2022-01-22 09.58.05 (Medium).jpg2022-01-22 09.58.35 (Medium).jpg2022-01-22 09.58.50 (Medium).jpg2022-01-22 10.06.38 (Medium).jpg2022-01-22 10.06.59 (Medium).jpg

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
silly question, but were the LMTV designed for warm weather use only ?... or was there a "cold weather " kit available ?... seems like many a member has frozen/ice/hard starting somewhere in their systems when it's below freezing...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks