• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What neighbors have to say about my new M1009

scottc

All my neighbors love mine. Except one, she just moved to our rural neighborhood from a large city. She called on me a couple times. No body can do anything about it. I'm not breaking any laws or codes. I returned the favor when her and her husband decided to do some construction with no permits. She has not even looked at me since. Seems like every neighborhood has one.:twisted:

texas4wheeler

neighbors ?? what neighbors?? shovel ? what shovel? :roll: its really quiet around here....now......lol. actually my neighbor saw mine and bought one for his family too

EZFEED

My neighbors wah-wah'ed aout it for a wile the trailers, the deuce, the other OD stuff and all of the misc old farm stuff.
Its funny....I bought this place to be out of the city away from all of the rules and uppity neighbors. I find the perfect place on a dirt road only 32 miles from work with only 2 neighbors, one across the road and one occupying an acre on my side (was the elderly couples sons house) and go figure the folks across the road are city transplants and still live that way somewhat. My immedeate neighbors are pretty cool and we get along now, I tried my damnest to buy their place too but they beat me to it. They turned out pretty nice though.
The couple across the road is another story, the dude and I get along but his wife is something else. Nag, nag, sceam, scream, says I bring their property value down as if that happens out here:roll:

I cant wait till theres a T-55 or T-72 tank parked in my front lawn in a couple years....wonder what she'll say then?:wink:

cam7002

Rightie-oh, Rottie Dog! I bet you could get away with it in the "scenic" town of Jacksonville, NC.

I am in the Triangle. We'll have to get together sometime.

Stan45

My Grandfather once said, "if you like the view, buy the property"... Its funny in this country we have gotten to the point were we try to tell others how to live on their property, but I understand that some of my neighbors might not appreciate my OD Love. With that in mind, I have tried to screen, and now have rented an old potato warehouse for my toys. The ultimate goal is to buy an old farmstead. I figure being a "good neighbor" will prevent future damage to the hobby by preventing more parking bans, just ask the trucking industry what happened to them.

bht50

never had any complaints and I live in a subdivision with several nice new houses, but just yesterday I was out warming her up and had a guy drive by turn around and come back. He got out and asked me to buy it said he has seen it sitting at my house and been checking it out. I told him he couldnt afford it cause it wasnt for sale.

Chut1st

I already won the hearts and minds of the kids.
That's a great point. The parents are usually past redemption. The kids love big toys just like us and are the future of the hobby.

It's isn't luck that I live on the edge of nowhere, it was a conscious decision eleven years ago. Even with more people moving into the area, neighbors are great since they know what they're getting into . . . and away from. It doesn't hurt that the M-62 comes in handy pullling trees out of the creek and erecting barns.

Midnight Rider

One neighbor asked how much I wanted for the scrap metal in the yard. Another neighbor asked if someone had a wreck and got stuck in my yard.

But it's no big deal, the first neighbor is my uncle and the second is my dad!:-D

It's good to live in the country!!!

This is just another reason you'll never catch me living in the city.

TOBEXA

since a 1009 has 6 lugs would that be a valid argument that it is a 1/2 ton truck . I know these trucks are rated as 3/4 ton but i have an issue with HOA or actually a HO on the block, that has been trying to rewrite the HOA rules for years so i cant park my 1009 on the street. The new rule is that no vehicle that is considered commercial, over 18ft or 3/4 ton

K9Vic

In the world of Chevrolet this is how it works for rating, you have a 1/2 ton truck as per the VIN designation from GMC. The pickups are 5/4 ton, but the VIN is D30 which is technically 1 ton.

x10 = 1/2 ton
x20 = 3/4 ton
x30 = 1 ton

The X is as follows.
C = 2wd
K = 4x4
D = Postal/Military (Military all are 4x4)

EDIT: I know that postal jeeps are 2wd, I meant military as the subject was military trucks not postal jeeps. The VIN in some states or by insurance companies may note it as postal along with military.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the world of Chevrolet this is how it works for rating, you have a 1/2 ton truck as per the VIN designation from GMC. The pickups are 5/4 ton, but the VIN is D30 which is technically 1 ton.

x10 = 1/2 ton
x20 = 3/4 ton
x30 = 1 ton

The X is as follows.
C = 2wd
K = 4x4
D = Postal/Military (all are 4x4)

Old postal jeeps are not 4x4's, they are 2wd.

motormayhem

since a 1009 has 6 lugs would that be a valid argument that it is a 1/2 ton truck . I know these trucks are rated as 3/4 ton but i have an issue with HOA or actually a HO on the block, that has been trying to rewrite the HOA rules for years so i cant park my 1009 on the street. The new rule is that no vehicle that is considered commercial, over 18ft or 3/4 ton
The m1009 is not over 3/4 ton so you shouldn't have a problem, but if they give you a hard time tell them it's a 1/2 ton blazer and they probably won't know the difference.

goatijoe

:driver:WE just need to start a convoy and a "rest area" to all the members with pesky people next door. :driver:

Do not feel bad we have 8 around the yard and the code enforcer knows us by name. they hate that the duece wont make it to the back yard and it parks in front of the house and yes we live in a neighbor hood.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
My 86 year old neighbor, who hates my legally tagged vehicles, has confronted me several times about my trucks. In short I told him that I use these for scouting events, patriotic events and military funerals so if he had a hard on with the Boy Scouts, the 4th of July and funerals of military heros, it was not my problem. A year later he put his house up for sale to go into an adult assistance community. Well one evening I am working on my 56 M-62 and over walks a young couple. They ask if I am the guy who owns these 4 trucks. (M-62, 2 M-35s and M109) and I told them I was. They ask if I am in the militia. I looked at them , thinking how to answer this and told them I was not and not to worry about that if they wanted to move in next door. They said that was good that I was not one of "those types". As they walked away I did asked them if they they had a problem living next door to the chapter president of the Hells Angels. They said oh no and quickly left. The house sat unsold for a year. The new owners bought the house and came over and wanted to meet me. I thought here we go again. The older couple asked if I was the guy with the army trucks, and I said yes. They then asked if I would be so kind as to let their grand kids sit in one. I said yes, and asked if everyone would like to pile in and take a ride at the farm across the street...They are good people and I am glad I scared away the other...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks