• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What oil do you run in a 6.2

MilitaryRestoration

yes it should be 7 qts. in it ive been in the army for 14 years working on 6.2 and now the 6.5 we always run 15w40 in them also. i have a 86 M1009 and i run 15w40 in it also
hmm wish had someone like you around my neck of the woods... or maybe i just haven't found that person yet ;-)

I will run Chevron Delo 15w-40 in my 6.2. If it can take the beating of a 18wheeler diesel engine it surely can take a 6.2's beating, along with my chevy 454 beatings and always clean even after 6000 miles using a bosch filter... my 2cents

Mudstone

i accidentally put sae 40 in my truck it's rotella... am i in for problems? thanks to skidder for making me think and check the bottles in the garage...

mtjbrown

Motorcraft diesel 15w40 in the gallon jugs at wallyworld!! Read a survey of different oils zinc content and it had the highest, even more than rotella or delo. Just use it because I have 2 or 3 old cars with flat tappet cam shafts and the zinc helps there as well.
Mark

etech

m1009 oil change

I run 1 bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer and the rest Rotella 15W40 it gets up to 127 to 132 here in the summer time, and down to high 20's and 30's in the winter,

I really like Lucas oil stabilizer its good stuff [thumbzup]

the thing I'm interested in knowing is what diesel additive are you guys running, this ultra low surfer diesel can not be good on these engines. any suggestions? thanks..

DXTAC

I use Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive all the time, Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate in the summer and will use Diesel Concentrate Plus Cold Flow Improver in the winter. :grin:

grayw0lf

The brand of oil you use really isn't that important if you change it when you should. Clean SuperTech is 10x better than 6,000 mile Rotella. :)

Just my $0.02.

AJMBLAZER

I run Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost in the winter and Diesel Kleen® +Cetane Boost spring, summer, and fall. About all I could find over the shelf in Michigan and now here that I'd trust. I don't go for the "store brand" and no name stuff.
Seems to work after several years of it in Big Ugly and The Blazer. The DK+CB has definitely given me a small "seat of the pants" power improvement over the DFS+CB.

I used to run the ACES II diesel fuel treatment as a guy on CK5 sold it by the jug instead of a 55 gallon drum but he got out of that business and I can't find it anywhere that wants to do business with me.

and what and when is time to add 'used oil' thru the fuel system on these engines? read a few threads here on that and am still not sure.......:driver:
Uhm, I don't anymore. When I first had Big Ugly I was told about the horrors of ULSD and to run an once of ND30w oil for every gal of diesel put in. Then a few years later I was told that was hokey and stopped. Haven't noticed any difference other than less smoke, less cost, and Big Ugly runs slightly better.

etech

fuel additives

that's some good information, where I live it is over 125 to 130 degrees in the summer and about 30 degrees in the winter, I have heard of many types of additives but am still unsure, since my CUCV M1009 is rather new, ( only 43K) i want to take care of it right as I'm sure it will last a long time if I do...

I also have plans to add a 6.5 turbo kit to it, or a ats/banks kit? and maybe a water injection kit, unsure what yet, however they guy I talked to from heath diesel, said not to run a inter cooler or a meth/water kit. just water if I'm going to do anything like that. any one concur?

thanks for the help so far guys and let me know any suggestions, again thanks.

I use royal purple 15w40 with a kn filter so far i have changed the oil twice no real big issues i did notice the thing doesnt smoke as bad at start up after sittin for a day or to which leads me to beleive that it was an improvement going to the synthietc oil may have been a postive not to mention i use the truck as a daily driver man i love the sound of the rattle from the 6.2 :mrgreen:

sierrajcharlie

The first oil change I used Rotella T5 10-30. It was supposed to have the same protection as the 15-40. I figured it would be better flowing in winter and used a Fram filter. After about 1200 miles the motor started getting louder and I was having some oil leaks, fittings etc. So I changed to Rotella 15-40 and used a Wix filter this time. The oil leaks are going away and the motor quieted right down. I don't know if the oil was starting to break down or what was going on. Also changed the air filter with a K & N replacement. The cadence is definately deeper and seems to have better pick up. Don't know about any mileage increase yet. Got it on an auction site and delivered, paid what a normal new NAPA filter would of cost! 2cents

Pawnshop

I used Castrol this time, it always did better in my air cooled VW motors so I thought I would give it a whirl in the CUCV. So far the truck seems to have a little more power and run smoother than with 15-40 Rotella, but that might just be in my head:) One thing I HAVE noticed is the exhaust smell different, it smells just like driving behind M813RC in his M813 with its oil sipping Cumins 250

original

15W-40 winter 30w in the summer. Anyone have the original sticker on their drivers side visor? The sticker gives info on starting a diesel, oil types, and 4wd use. Mine gives two choices for oil depending on temperature. cold 10w-30 - hot sae 30w. I guess my question is - Is 10w-30 really an option for the 6.2?

Last edited:

jdemaris

15W-40 winter 30w in the summer. Anyone have the original sticker on their drivers side visor? The sticker gives info on starting a diesel, oil types, and 4wd use. Mine gives two choices for oil depending on temperature. cold 10w-30 - hot sae 30w. I guess my question is - Is 10w-30 really an option for the 6.2?
You can use any viscosity oil as long at it meets the needs for the temps you start and run in - as long as it has a SF/CD rating or better. In 1986, GM recommended as the "best choices" being straight 30W for temps 32F - 100 F. 15W-40 for 0 F to 60 F, and 10W-30 for temps minus 30F to 60F.

Keep in mind that all the highway oils changed in 2009, including Shell Rotella T. Major anti-wear ingredients got lowered to meet new emmissions specs. Now, to get oil with the best protection, you need off-road oil - like sold by industrial and farm tractor dealers.

So, as of 2011, all the new on-road diesel oils have less protection, and the new diesel fuel has less energy and lube. Cheapest good protection for your rotary injection pump is to add 2-stroke oil to your tank at approx. a 1 to 200 ratio.

Pawnshop

According to the Diesel Place test the most lubrious fuel additive is by far 20% Bio Diesel (B20), which I am glad to say is sold around here by Shell, there are SOME benefits to living in hippyland...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks