• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do about the wheels/tries on my truck

86M10086.2L

So I'm currently running 8 bolt HMMWV double beadlock wheels and Goodyear Wrangler RT II military 36x12.5x16.5 bias ply tires on my truck. In a word, they suck. The tires bounce and give way too much negative feedback on the highway. Yes they're balanced properly, and no there's nothing wrong with my front end. If I swap tires it rides perfect. I used to only runthe tires when I'd go wheeling. But thats alot of work, and the ride to and from is quite aggrivating. I can't look the other way anymore.
My options are...........

1. Try a different set of aftermaket tires of the same size on the HMMWV wheels

2. Modify the beadlocks/runflats and run a different tire or size possibly even a radial. (maybe 33's)

3. New set of aftermarket non-beadlock rims and tires (deffinately radials) probably 35"

4. Have the hoops on the original steel rims modified to a 8 or 9" hoop and mount larger tires on the original rims. (again deffinately radials)

Keep in mind I know the 8 bolt rims were designed for bias ply tires and not to be used with radials or a tire pressure higher than 30psi. If I find radials that fit (and it has been done already) I'll air them appropriately. I like the idea of being able to mount or dismount tires on my own with the HMMWV rims or trail side repairs. But I drive the truck a lot. Usually great distances to all the places I go 4 wheeling. 3 hours or more most times....so highway manners are a big consideration. Thoughts?

scrambled

I am running the 37 goodyear MTs from the hummers on 8 bolt hummer wheels. I have nol problems running them at 40 psi. They ride great and seem to not be wearing a bit.

86M10086.2L

Are you still using the magnesium beadlocks or the rubber ones? Well I agree with you on tire psi, but I've had people swear to me that the studs have pulled out of the wheels at higher PSI's. I have read a few stories of people buying radial tires and the bead is too thick and the wheels don't seal properly. Not really too many 37's available around here. But if I can run commercialy available ones I will.