• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do about the wheels/tries on my truck

86M10086.2L

So I'm currently running 8 bolt HMMWV double beadlock wheels and Goodyear Wrangler RT II military 36x12.5x16.5 bias ply tires on my truck. In a word, they suck. The tires bounce and give way too much negative feedback on the highway. Yes they're balanced properly, and no there's nothing wrong with my front end. If I swap tires it rides perfect. I used to only runthe tires when I'd go wheeling. But thats alot of work, and the ride to and from is quite aggrivating. I can't look the other way anymore.
My options are...........

1. Try a different set of aftermaket tires of the same size on the HMMWV wheels

2. Modify the beadlocks/runflats and run a different tire or size possibly even a radial. (maybe 33's)

3. New set of aftermarket non-beadlock rims and tires (deffinately radials) probably 35"

4. Have the hoops on the original steel rims modified to a 8 or 9" hoop and mount larger tires on the original rims. (again deffinately radials)

Keep in mind I know the 8 bolt rims were designed for bias ply tires and not to be used with radials or a tire pressure higher than 30psi. If I find radials that fit (and it has been done already) I'll air them appropriately. I like the idea of being able to mount or dismount tires on my own with the HMMWV rims or trail side repairs. But I drive the truck a lot. Usually great distances to all the places I go 4 wheeling. 3 hours or more most times....so highway manners are a big consideration. Thoughts?

scrambled

I am running the 37 goodyear MTs from the hummers on 8 bolt hummer wheels. I have nol problems running them at 40 psi. They ride great and seem to not be wearing a bit.

86M10086.2L

Are you still using the magnesium beadlocks or the rubber ones? Well I agree with you on tire psi, but I've had people swear to me that the studs have pulled out of the wheels at higher PSI's. I have read a few stories of people buying radial tires and the bead is too thick and the wheels don't seal properly. Not really too many 37's available around here. But if I can run commercialy available ones I will.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks