• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do after you get your HAM radio license

AZK9

... I passed my Tech test back in April. Studying for the General now. 73's to you, KE0JRH out.
That's awesome! [thumbzup]

My wife and I... both... have been 'planning' to take the Tech Test, but... life has continued to get in the way of it
as a priority. We still expect to do it. Maybe this fall, or winter... if things slow down a bit.

Timberwolf22

Congrats on your license...... I have found amateur radio almost as addicting as the Green Iron! I passed the Tech and General in my first testing attempt but ended up waiting almost a year to go back for the Extra.

Since I am active in ARES/RACES and MARS the M35a3 and comm shelter have been extremely valuable.

All the HF privileges from the General really open up your comm options.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm taking the Technician test on Saturday. I'm using Hamstudy.org and aa9pw.com. My brain feels like it's leaking at the moment.

snowtrac nome

I got a tech than later upgraded to tech, I need to get my irlp node back up and running just have no time right now. Don't discount surplus wide band commercial radios for good bang for the buck. I went through a bunch of yeaseu's and in expensive Chinese handhelds before I got my hands on some bendix king radios I have not had one die on me yet a plus side of commercial radios is because they are type accepted they can be programed for commercial and marine frequency's to legally.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merle, I used to live on the other side of the mountains from you in Grangeville.

I've taken about 30 practice exams today and never missed more than 2 questions and most of those were because I was just blazing through the test. I'll take it nice and slow on Saturday and should do fine. My main concern is I feel like I'm just learning to take a test and not really learning the material. Maybe actual real world experience (once I pass the test) will compensate for that.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mkcoen
You won't have a bit of trouble with the exam. You are correct on the real world experience. Get your General and we can talk on hf, you will love it. Just like MV's it gets in your blood. I would be lost without my radios and my deuce.

I moved to Idaho in 1961 from Texas. I like Idaho but have a soft spot in my heart for Texas. If I ever moved again it would be Texas, but at my age that isn't happening.
Good luck again and keep us posted.

73's Merle
KA7APL

Jakob1944

KC5DSN.....john....Amateur Extra....I kept my Novice call....kinda favored it.....rolls real quick on CW with a bug

A free story.....I was going through the line in the local Wal*art way back and was wearing my hat with my call on it....the clerk said I was the first person she met that had a number in their last name.......I replied ? and she said "Mr Kadesen.....Isn't that your last name".....OKkkk, learn something new.......

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Passed! I better since there was an 11 year old there that was going on for his General (I stopped at Tech). Only thing that made me feel better about that was I at least out scored him.

ke5eua

I've seen a preteen do all 3 in one sitting. Pretty amazing.

Congrats on getting your ticket btw

'73s

Passed! I better since there was an 11 year old there that was going on for his General (I stopped at Tech). Only thing that made me feel better about that was I at least out scored him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks