• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When you park your Deuce on a inclined driveway........

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One needs a lock on the parking brake to insure that the non conformants can't easily release it. As far as leaving it in gear, if you do, leave it in low range, it's much more difficult to roll start it in that low of a gear. Be nice to fab a locking bracket for the fuel shutoff cable too. N3UKA has a chain bolted to the back of his cab and it just wraps around the parking brake lever and he padlocks it. Sure you could unbolt the chain but its a defense against the riff raffs. Most of these trucks in mil service had wheel chocks assigned to them. Most had a chain and you could attach it to the pioneer tool rack or whatever. The 2 issue chocks I've seen were the heavy rubber one and the oak one bolted together. If worried about the hooligans removing said chock, just let the truck roll ip against it before securing the brake. While researching the Navy truck I have I was told by a former Seabee that every truck had a 2 piece chock for the truck. Both pieces were secured together by a chain or rope and hung near the LR of the cab. They were almost always 4x4 or 6x6 lumber (they are a const batt) and painted yellow. Chocking your vehicle was one of the most important tasks done by a Seabee. If you left the truck for even a nanosecond without chocking it, you were required to wear the chocks around your neck for the day. A most unpleasant reminder of your transgression both physically and emotionally as everybody there gets to see what you've done.

Wick246

I would have to see what it looks like on the truck, but I think a lockable sleeve that slides over the exposed fuel cut off cable and prevents it from being able to move back in could be fabricated.

baja_power

the spring on my fuel shutoff in the pump is weak.. so my cable stays out.. and it takes a few cranks to start mine... for some reason fuel drains back from the pump back to the tank.. why i have no idea... just takes a few seconds longer to start.. im not worried..

mangus580

I have actually mistakenly started mine in gear before.... not good! (me and dad have different theories on in or out of gear parking)

n3uka

I believe in a little overkill to keep all the kids in the neighborhood from playing with it.
I use a metal chock on one side and a 8x8 on the other.
I have a chain locking the parking brake as kenny mentioned and an ignition cutoff switch under
the dash. Leave it in 3rd low. It is backed against a fence so not too worried about bumping.

And as a failsafe I have an F150 to use as a speed bump. :freaked:

SixBuy

There's a fellow down south of me who uses an aircraft mixture control lock on his fuel shutoff. Works the same as the aircraft application and available from, I think, Sporty's Pilot shop. A good idea worthy of duplication! Probably ought to be part of a theft prevention thread.

colyork

I chock one of the rear wheels with cement block and a 4x4 on one the front wheels. Also out of gear. The guy that I bought the truck from installed a key switch that shuts the power off from the battery,so that is shut off also.

ajg6989

dont leave it in gear I saw a hemmit roll into a duece and the deuce started up and rolled into a 5 ton. the deuce pushed the 5 ton into a fence. I have seen a gust of wind hit a 109 van and start it up I guess with all that surface area it pushed it just enough.

Deuce-bigalo

Well, could you, for example, take a piece of tubing large enough to fit over the ebrake and chain it to the back of the cab like previously mentioned? You could have a 5' piece of chain from the back wall or floor bolted down with a grade 8 bolt and welded to the tube which fits over the ebrake handle. Then engauge the ebrake, slip the tube over the brake handle and take the slack of the chain up and lock it with a pad lock. Is that the set up mentioned earlier?

I will check on getting a 12" Wood :freaked: , piece of wood that is [^] ! If not then 2 6x6 or 8x8 pieces to let the duals to rest against!

Does that make sense and practicality in conjunction with choks??

Well, if there isn't any decent wood around, I suppose I could always resort to using the ex-wife as a chok! :devil: :tongue:

bomar76

First I ONLY park the deuce in the valleys of very lage mountains.
I pull out the fuel shut off, then bend it over so it won't go back in.

Engage parking brake and spot weld handle in on position.

I remove all 10 tires and lower truck to ground, then block all brake drums on each side with 24"x24" oak and rubber chocks.

I drain all fuel from tank, remove all injector lines, crank engine to purge fuel from lines, then fill fuel system with nitrogen.

Next I remove the air filter and insert a garden hose and fill engine with water.

Then I chain truck frame to a D ring embedded in a 12'x12'x12' block of concrete cast into the ground (use 2 padlocks and throw away the keys to be extra safe)

So far I haven't had a problem w/ roll aways, but I still check it every 15 minutes

bomar76

rdixiemiller said:
Bomar
I would remove and destroy the driveshafts. You could also look into digging a large hole and burying it between uses.
Actually removing the driveshafts would allow it to roll easier!

I have considered melting the entire vehicle into a large molten mass, but I am concerned it may flow slightly before solidification.

Deuce-bigalo

OK OK OK!!! [complaining] Now I know what Ken feels like getting torched for these posts and questions! :nono:
Y'all are too funny. Just as you are a knowledgable bunch, you can turn and set the 'Celebrity Roast' to high and next thing I know I got griddle marks :jumpin: and that smirk with just the slow head shaking asking why....wHY?? :sad:

LMAO!!! This is turning on me, help me HELP ME!!! :turn:

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks