• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When you park your Deuce on a inclined driveway........

Monster Man

I park on a 10 degree slope-

backing in is a nightmare, partly cause my driveway is only a foot longer thanthe deuce, so it's very hard to see if I'm about to hit the house (don't tell the neighbors, but I have done that once :lol: )

also, backing up causes much more wheelspin and is harder to modulate the throttle. It's best to go up in first low so you can go as slow as possible, I drive over 2x4's so I know I've gone far enough, and have a chock in front to stop me if I go too far. Then, parking brake on, let here slowly back into the 2x4's, then put a big rubber chock under the front. I wouldn't EVER trust her without at least two chocks, I've had it start out into the street on several occasions while I was exiting the cab.

My parking brake is covered in oil from a seal leaking on the driveshaft output on the t-case, so it's not much help, but it does a little. I have to apply it as I'm coming down the street to wipe the oil off (I've got my pinion brake ALMOST working) I've found that the e-brake doesn't do anything when backed in, in other words it won't hold it forward as good as it does in reverse.

Deuce-bigalo

rdixiemiller said:
Help yourself! Moderators are pretty good when roasted over a low heat for a week or so.
I was wondering why I couldn't get the smell of marinade out of my mind...... :banghead:

......I guess it's just y'all planning on a banquet!!! Make sure you tenderize the meat accordingly, us old folk can tend to be a bit stringy :boxer: !!

John

Deuce-bigalo

Monster Man said:
I park on a 10 degree slope-

backing in is a nightmare, partly cause my driveway is only a foot longer thanthe deuce, so it's very hard to see if I'm about to hit the house (don't tell the neighbors, but I have done that once :lol: )

also, backing up causes much more wheelspin and is harder to modulate the throttle. It's best to go up in first low so you can go as slow as possible, I drive over 2x4's so I know I've gone far enough, and have a chock in front to stop me if I go too far. Then, parking brake on, let here slowly back into the 2x4's, then put a big rubber chock under the front. I wouldn't EVER trust her without at least two chocks, I've had it start out into the street on several occasions while I was exiting the cab.

My parking brake is covered in oil from a seal leaking on the driveshaft output on the t-case, so it's not much help, but it does a little. I have to apply it as I'm coming down the street to wipe the oil off (I've got my pinion brake ALMOST working) I've found that the e-brake doesn't do anything when backed in, in other words it won't hold it forward as good as it does in reverse.
I am going to have to see what it's going to take to keep this beast in place. I think the parking brake idea w/ the chain or a tube over it with a chain welded to it would be a good start. I imagine 3 choks total. Two in the back on each rear inner dual and one in the front. I guess you can't be too safe, especially when the houses on my street aren't that far back from the side walk. The deuce would make a great addition to my home, just not to the home across the street!!! :lol:

I appreciate your input MM, I really just need to find a home to buy and put in an RV gate to the back yard.....

John

Pappa-G

The wind blowing a 109 into starting has gotten me nervous. So I purchased an abandoned coal mine with a vertical shaft, used the winch on my 185 to lower my truck down and sealed the shaft with concrete. (did I mention the 10 55gal drums filled with old wheel weights in the back?) Now once a day I get out my trusty ground penetraiting radar and check if every things ok.. .

...Does Michigan have earth quakes??? :freaked:

CGarbee

I've got a pair of rubber chocks just like the ones that we issue for use at work. They are on a short section of chain that is just long enough for them to both be placed on the downhill side of both the front rear and rear rear tires on the truck, or on both sides of one of the tires when I am on a level spot. If the truck does roll against a chock, you have to power the truck off in order to pull the chock...
Always park with transmission in neutral, parking brake on, chocks in place...
If it is left for long, or I'm not sure of the folks in the area, it also gets the steering wheel padlocked (chain from the driver's seat mounting bracket is just long enough to loop around one of the spokes in the steering wheel, padlock uses the same key as the lock on the toolbox, etc.).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, speaking of them locks, I might have a few extra US stamped American locks. New surplus in the box. I'll post if I have any extras.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they can be spun around and weaved through the tool box. They are not keyed alike but are rekeyable through any competent locksmith. I bought 9 of them and may not have a use for all of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks