• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where's Your License Plate?

cucvrus

How do you all mount your rear registration tag(LP)?
If you are not going to do any wheeling you can mount it up under the bumper. I do wheeling so I mounted mine up on the roof rack and just ran an LED projection lamp up to the M1009 roof. my Son has his mounted on his spare tire on the left side of the front bed. No light. Other M1008's that are road driven and plowed hard I removed the pintle hook and put it in where civilian trucks have them in the center of the bumper. I guess put it anywhere you want it. Find out if it requires a light and go from there. Pennsylvania requires a lighted tag area on regular inspected vehicles. With an antique tag they do NOT require inspection or a lighted tag. So mostly it is up to you. I would put it where you like it and light it up. I have been stopped a few times with my antique tags and then set free when they see it is an antique tag. happy Holidays. Good question. easy answer you decide light it up and screw it fast.002.jpg

Last edited:

ballencd

I hung my tag on 1" wide webbing from the top of the ceiling inside the tailgate window. One year out of 18 I was asked where my light was when getting it inspected and told them I never had a light. I failed that inspection so I installed a light and ran the wire down to the trailer hitch harness and plugged it into the running light pin. After I passed the inspection I unplugged the wire and stowed it inside. I never was stopped for placement or lack of illumination.

LastFbody

I have mine hung below the rear bumper toward the driver side in a way that easily swings, but has an extra piece of steel on the back to make it heavy enough not swing to the point of being illegible at highway speeds. I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in my truck, have the plate on the inside, or have it on a rigid bracket that would lessen my departure angle.

The other idea I had was to stick the plate to the tailgate with powerful magnets, but thought that it'd be better if it was on with bolts. That way if some butthole wants to steal my licence plate they need to have tools to take it instead of just grabbing it on a whim.

As far as lights, I had a cop buddy of mine look into it and apparently in my state there's no expectation for there to be licence plate lights if the vehicle wasn't originally built with them. I may eventually run into a cop that sees it differently, but I feel it'd be very easy to contest.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks