• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where's Your License Plate?

jholler

I registered the M1009 and got my plate, and as a social experiment I'm gonna keep it in the glovebox until PD asks about it. I'm the only one in the city driving an MV (except for my Guard unit), and I'm betting I can go quite a while on them just not knowing whether I should have a tag or not. I also work for the city fire department, so even if I do get stopped, I don't expect to be in much trouble. If I end up having to display it, I like the idea of a loop of 550 cord through the holes and looped over the top of the spare tire.
One month down, so far so good! Plate is in the document bag hanging on the dash, just in case.

JDToumanian

I have an OD painted 6x9 stereo magnet stuck to the bumper for use "in case" I get pulled over... (that magnet will be placed on the rear tailgate and license plate "slapped on" the magnet)...
TN license plates are steel? ....They're aluminum in CA....

no one said nothing
So you're saying someone said something? :D

Jon

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got pulled over the other night in my duece with my plate in the glovebox. The first thing out of his mouth was, "The reason I pulled you over is because your unit markings aren't displayed on the bumper." I explained it was surplus and he told me his brother-in-law bought two wrecked HMMV's to restore.

The three officers were extremely cool about everything. They ran my info and just gave me a verbal warning to have my tags displayed and lighted.

They even checked the back cargo area for, as they put it, "Al Qaeda". I found out later that someone told my sister they heard the police on the scanner saying something about "Terrorist" and my name being checked out. Oh well, we're probably all on that rightwing extremist watchlist anyways.

So, this is about the third time I've had to produce the plate for an officer without getting a citation. I may be pushing my luck. I think I'm gonna rig up something with magnets and maybe one of those small battery operated LED lights.
Duece is easy. Mudflap bolt and drill another hole.

Mine is bolted onto a piece of 14-16g sheet metal, as long as the license plate, bent into an angle, and bolted up to the underside of the pintle/bumper.

I'd like to get a Class III hitch...so I might put it on a hinge so I can flip it up when I use the hitch. Or I'll have to find another place for it.

And as far as I know; In WI if it didn't come from the factory with a plate light, it doesn't need one. But I might get some of those lighted license plate bolts for it, just for "schlitz" and grins.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
God I love Texas

My M1028A2
View attachment 306924

My M1009
View attachment 306925

no plates run - no plate light needed - no inspection sticker needed and no inspection necessary

can I use them as a daily driver? no, but I've got three trucks and I can and do alternate their usage, but MAINLY I love driving my Suburban - it's got a radio AND a/c - and come summer time, I'm gonna take the top off the M1009

LeadHead

Anyone know the license plate laws for Virginia? I know civy vehicles need a light and plates front and rear. Are military vehicles any different?

My plate is mounted on the tailgate, drivers' side. But when I drop the tailgate, it aint visible anymore. Which I'm guessing I would need to move it? I thought about moving it to the bumper, but I still dont think it would be much visible, if at all. I figured maybe mount it do a bed extender when the tailgate is dropped, then back to the other position with the gate up.

It would be sooo much easier if I didn't need a plate!!

This got me by for a few weeks...not sure how.
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu26/v757b/Other/truck-2.jpg

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glove box.

Michigan law dictates;

Any motor vehicle must be operated as original equipment as per the manufacture.

The M-109 does not have a license plate fixture as per the TM and no lighting as provided for, as per the manufacture. Therefore I keep the plate in the glove box.

biggestc69

M1008 self tapping screws into the rear driver's side bumper. Kansas requires a light so I got a trailer tag light and mounted it above the plate. It does stick up but the recess in the tailgate allows it to shut without touching.

Right on the back. I used the holes that someone had thoughtfully drilled out in the diamond pattern back bumper. I don't know if Ohio requires a light or not, but so far the subject hasn't come up. With the license plate's reflective coating it shows up like a beacon anyway when light hits it.

Attachments

edpdx

Here's where mine is now:

After running wire to thru the tubing- tapped-in from the rear running light, I added a piece of square tubing to the back of the plate with some JB Weld. It slips over the end of the tire mount tube and a hole was drilled thru both pieces. I added a 3/8" Spare tire lock pin from master lock. This keeps the tire from being ripped of (I hope). If anyone wants to see that assembly, just ask.

tirecarrier1.jpg

tire1.jpg I'll see about welding a carrier for my HI-Lift Jack low on the back of the tire carrier.

tire2.jpg The bottom plate screws are the light up type for motorcycles. Behind the slide-on license plate is a pin-type Master lock. Also there is a pull-apart wiring connector for the plate lamps.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks