• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where's Your License Plate?

67_C-30

I decided to put mine in the center of the gate. I didn't care for the offset look, and I didn't want to remove my pintle or cover my B/O lights, so this was best option. I found a metal plate frame at Advance, and sprayed it green along with screws, so it at least makes the plate seem a little smaller. My tailgate is pretty much shot anyway, so 4 holes is no great loss.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jimma

Mine is in the glove box. I have it if they want to see it. My deuce did not come factory with a bracket, air bags or anti lock brakes for that matter so I dont feel like adding them.:driver:

namedpipes

I do (of the bumper one anyway), 1st thing I notice is that a plate mounted here would cover the blackout light.
Mine is not a CUCV but it tows an M101A2. '91 Dodge Ram has a hard point for a pintle hook in center of the bumper. Normally you'd put the lic plate there. The lic plate can be offset to the left or right like ABN's pic. Even has a little hole to mount the plate light.

armada, how did you mount it to the tire? that what i would like to do
Wicked short screws?

ODdave

i had mine screwed to the upper left corner of the tailgate of my 1028 and i got pulled over at night in the winter time after about 10 hours on the road. Cop asked me if i knew why he pulled me over, i said no like always and he told me my licence plate was "not in the correct location and not iluminated" I politely got out of the truck and asked him where the correct location was? he pointed to where the pintle is..... i asked "behind all that snow that keeps accumulating there?" Then he said it would be fine where it was but it would need a light on it, I asked "why?" he said so "it could be seen by a following vehical at night" I said, "isn't it illegal to drive w/o your headlights on at night?" He replied, "have a good night sir" :mrgreen:

lindyp38

Im very interested in ur class 3 hitch..as ill be getting a m1008....it looks like its below the pintle hitch...can i do that with my truck...?

Thanks

right side of the rear bumper, over the blackout light and i have a license plate light for a trailer on a small stainless steel bracket bolted on above it. I tapped the light's power wire into the tail light wire. It's looks like it would be in the way, but i've never hit it with anything and it clears when the tailgate is down. I'll look for a picture for reference.

Edit: You can't really see the license plate light in this pic, but it's the best one i found.

MSgt USMC (Ret)

Left side of tailgate held in place with strong magnets. Small light tapped into tail lights. Less than $5 and no invasive drilling. If someone steals the tag oh well.

hounddog

Sorry to say I removed the pintle and put in the civilian license plate holder and light. Using the M1009 as a DD and don't want to be stopped. I plan on adding a class 3 hitch.

Sardot1

I used a 1 inch square steel tube bolted at the existing bolts holes on the bumper. I'm waiting for some LED bolts I ordered and then I'll paint the tube before I install them. More pics then (and maybe I'll have a real license plate too)

Attachments

roughroad

mine is on the mud flap mounting plate with 5/16 bolts 2ea. and the light is from the trailer place a little 2.50 yellow clear job that one is riveted in place.

johnsr

i mad a plate holder out of an old gas tank strap. welded strat to the bumper. still have to add plate light, the cop that did my vin check said it was fine. ill add a pic of it latter.

Sardot1

I got my LED Bolts installed

I installed my LED bolts today. They were described as white lights but they do have a bit of a blue color, and they probably light up the ground better than the plate, but they are adequate and I am satisfied with the result. The photos in the dark make it look brighter than reality.

I connected the power up behind the left tail light with a wire tap. There is another wire tap there that leads to a wire in the bed that was probably for the non-existent dome light in the back, it's lasted 25years so I figured I'd be okay doing the same, and it has a little protection behind the light, rather than tapping somewhere down below the bed. I used the same wire as it powers the side running light. And there is a conveniently placed ground screw behind the light. I routed the wires down thru the little gap in the bumper at the blackout light.

I also found that the mount I made for the plate could probably be adequately held in place by a single bumper bolt instead of the two as I did it. It would look better but I didn't feel like cutting it down today.

Cost about $8 for the lights and about $3 for the tubular steel.:smile:

Attachments

rhinob

Here's a photo of my finished license and light arrangement. Used Hella Euro side lighting (long euro tag requires two lights) since the tag and light wouldn't fit without the vertical dimensions of the creases in the tailgate.

Attachments

camerodad

Rear License Plate Light

I bought 2 Trailer License plate light holders, one with a light, the other with out. Turned one upside down and mounted under the bumper, then I connected them together with a hinge , so the license plate would move, bolted them under the bumper on the drivers side, ran the light wire into my taillights. I added the hinge so if ice or snow or road debris hit the plate, it would move, and not break the license plate holder. Its lighted, and visible to law enforcement.

Thanks

Camerodad

CMC Pete

I have my plate mounted between the pintle hitch and left rear black out light. It centers well. You can purchase a lic. plate bracket w/light from a trailer supplier for parts or NAPA. Cost is less than $12.00. 2cents

lnnayers

Hi all, i am new here. i mounted my tag on top of my bumper. it is secured to a eighties oldsmobile tag mount that covered the fuel fill. i mounted a rubber wheel to the back of it, it is spring loaded so it moves down and back up with the tailgate.

SGT Estum

In Minnesota collector military plates need not be displayed, but carried inside vehicle.

(c) Notwithstanding section 168.09, 168.12, or other law to the contrary, the owner of a registered collector military vehicle is not required to display registration plates on the exterior of the vehicle if the vehicle has an exterior number identification that conforms to the identifying system for military vehicles in effect when the vehicle was last owned by the branch of the armed forces of the United States or in effect in the year to which the collector military vehicle has been restored. However, the state registration plates must be carried in or on the collector military vehicle at all times.

Cool!
Also cool,

(d) The owner of a registered collector military vehicle that is not required to display registration plates under paragraph (c) may tow a registered trailer behind it. The trailer is not required to display registration plates if the trailer:
(1) does not exceed a gross weight of 15,000 pounds;
(2) otherwise conforms to registration, licensing, and safety laws and specifications;
(3) conforms to military specifications for appearance and identification;
(4) is intended to represent and does represent a military trailer; and
(5) carries registration plates on or in the trailer or the collector military vehicle towing the trailer.

Sweet deal!
Actually, that's just part of the MN law. Now, I'm no lawyer... but here's what I read right next to the quoted text:

Subd. 1h. Collector military vehicle. (a) A motor vehicle, including a truck, shall be listed
and registered under this section if it meets the following conditions:
(1) it is at least 20 years old;
(2) its first owner following its manufacture was a branch of the armed forces of the United
States and it presently conforms to the vehicle specifications required during the time of military
ownership, or it has been restored and presently conforms to the specifications required by a
branch of the armed forces for the model year that the restored vehicle could have been owned by
that branch of the armed forces; and
(3) it is owned by a nonprofit organization and operated solely as a collector's vehicle. For
purposes of this subdivision, "nonprofit organization" means a corporation, society, association,
foundation, or institution organized and operated exclusively for historical or educational
purposes, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of a private individual.

Source: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/getpub.php?type=s&num=168.10&year=2007

I looked it up because I live in Minnesota and got excited for a minute... then realized that I'm not a "nonprofit organization". Bummer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks