• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which paint for my 72 Deuce?

Lax

Hi everyone,
I guess I've done it now. I made a date with the paint man for the first week of September. I would like to put my 72 Multi-Fuel Duce back to what she looked like when she left the factory.

From what I read it looks like Gillespie (24087) seems to be the way to go for a 72. I plan to use some POR-15 on the rust areas so I never have to do this again. Can I get a few words of advise from you guys? Thank you! :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Which paint for my 72 Duce?

Depends on the mfr. Some of the 24087 loooks too brown to me. I think 24052 would be a correct color for a USMC deuce.

Lax

Recovry4x4,
Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure if I could put USMC colors on my duce. It came from the 10th Mountain Div. and I think if I put any colors on it other then army it might get mad at me! :p

I like the look of the Vietnam semi-gloss dark green. I sure hope that is what 24087 is! :shock:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha, if thats the case, the Air Force is going to kick my behind. I'm taking their Strata Blue M108 and painting it 34052 with Navy markings. FWIW, I've gone down to bare metal on bunches of places and the original color of th wrecker was blue. Even up unter the dash and the rims still show blue.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been debating what color to paint a Vietnam era deuce. Was 3 color desert camo used during this time period?

Lax

I can olny tell you what I have learned and it sounds like the answer to your question is no. It was just solid green. Again, that is just what I have been told. Maybe someone out there that knows a lot more then me about this confirm that. Good luck.

Armada

I'm painting my duece 24087 also. It's been all repainted except for the cab, (too many other projects). I like the look of the 24087. In fact I like it so much that I painted my M1009 and M101A1 with it too.

Attachments

gbooth

Lax... that is a 24 volt Siren off a Sherman tank Vary Vary VARY LOUD I like vary Much. It with the air horn I can get anybodies attention.

Rizzo... I will try and take some this weekend as I am going to do some work on the truck I just need to find the battery charger for the camera now where did the wife put it hum !!!!.

67Beast

I also painted mine with Gillespie #24087, which would be the correct color for Army vehicles up to about 74' when they went to the 4 color camo. Also Army vehicles in the time period also carried all the markings in white. Subdued markings didn't show up until the camo.

I also painted my 67' M715 with #24087

PS if you need markings once you get it painted, let me know.http://home.thinkextreme.net/~schwarzd/

gbooth

Armanda.... Nice M1009 Some of the guys in the club have differnt shades pf OD but i like the 24087 The best. I painted the Jeep 3 years ago and it has held up well.

Lax

OUTSTANDING!! I can only hope mine looks as good as you guys have done yours up! That is just what I am looking for. I would not mind the cold weather front cover too. WOW That is great! Thanks guys!

TacticalTruck

As the Village Idiot has correctly told us, Gillespie 24087 is too brown for Vietnam era. In the '80s the military changed some of their paint numbers around and what was 24087 became 24084. I'll never use Gillespie or Aervo again. I only use Randolfproducts.com paint. It's about twice as much as Gillespie but if you have a 30 dollar truck then use 30 dollar a gallon paint.

Rizzo-the dropside beds have a provision to stow the up-rights in the front of the bed.

Jeff

gbooth

I still like it the way it is Brown or no brown With all the computer matching and mixing today they still cant make 2 gallons of paint exactly the same color. It all comes down to a matter of choice,