• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who Bought Those Oshkosh MK-48s???

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(2) Mk48/14's delivered

Today the second Mk48/14 was delivered - camo yesterday tan today. The tan truck was a complete unit that had never been apart. Thanks go out to wreckerman893 and Skip at Tillet Heavy Haul for making the whole plan come together.

Video of the tan Mk48/14 today just off the truck
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLsoxxmlbMQ&list=HL1343956290&feature=mh_lolz[/media]

Augdog1964

First Day Reactions

Hey all,

Ok BiffJ and I spent the day on the LVS... duties included:

1) Fluids inspection.
2) Cut locks and inspect bins (WOW thanks Uncle Sam... 15 ton jack (new), 12 new in wrap cargo straps, warning triangles (new), air lines (new), wrenches (new), screwdrivers (new), Container blocks (complete), and tons more!
3) Stowed the trailer jack stands (mine was disconnnected at Blount, but thanks to Wreckerman and crew, came connected) WATCH OUT.. THESE JACK STANDS ARE HEAVY! Stow point for stand reinforcement bars is right side behind stowed stand.
4) Removed GL lot numbers (thanks acetone)
5) Finished trailer attachment... additional bolts and nuts.
6) Finished driveline attachment... additional bolts and nuts.
7) Attached trailer electrical connections.
8) Stowed reinforcements for second axle (used for moving FPU w/o trailer)
9) Played with switches, dials, etc. FUN!
10) Drove it 11 miles on the road, and off road... incredible machine.
11) Found everything works, down to the marker lights....

A few observations....

Turning is weird! Due to the upfront cab location, as well as only the front wheels turning, and the trailer steering with the wheel, you must start your turn much sooner than if towing a conventional trailer.

Backing is weird! Unlike a conventional trailer, you don't back it (opposite wheel to move rear of trailer), you DRIVE the trailer backwards (same wheel direction to move trailer in desired direction). Different, but in the end easier. That articulation changes a lot of things.

ENGINE SOUNDS INCREDIBLE, Cab is big and comfortable. Sound is much less than my 900 series.

Mine has a very weird bounce or ocillation at 38 MPH... tires have a flat spot from sitting? harmonic issue? need weight? bad tire pressure? We ran out of daylight and energy... thats tomorrow.

I do however need one thing... My unit was missing the cannon plug that "shorts" the sensor to indicate that the FPU steering / axle strut locks are up and stored. Did anyone get an extra? Know where I can get one? Like to get that warning light off!

Thats it for now! More to come...

Attachments

BiffJ

We got to play with Daves LVS today and its is an interesting beast. We got all the bolts in and tightened as well as checking the hydraulic, electric and air hookups. Popped the locks off the 2 lockers in the trailer and found tiedown straps and some other great tools. The unit looks new and feels that way too. Dave pretty well covered all that.....

It drives much different than I thought it would. We both thought the second set of wheels turned for steering but found out this isn't the case. The lock struts just keep the unit from tipping over, not locking out the steering on the rear set. On the other hand, the articulation makes it steer really wierd and as Dave noted you have to turn in differently than you would with a truck/trailer rig. I would usually go a little past my turn in a regular truck than turn in to make sure the trailer clears. In these the trailer follows pretty much the same line as the power unit and going past your turn point means you may hit the post on the opposite side of the road because it won't turn any sharper. Backing is really odd as Dave noted. You don't chase the trailer you steer it. We did have some odd bouncing going on at various speeds at different parts of the road. Not sure if all the flat spots on the tires are lining up or maybe a harmonic???? It probably won't do it loaded down and maybe the tire pressures are too high (or low?) for our weight. Brakes work great and aren't grabby like some. Unit is pretty easy to figure out as far as switches, knobs and widgets. Took a while to find the dipstick for the oil but the gearbox oil filler/stick was well marked. Probably ought to read the manual but didn't have one this morning. . .
Jake brake does indeed work well as I believe Wreckerman noted. I won't be using it on slippery surfaces. It does have a high and low setting though and there is a difference.
For all the hugeness of the truck and its capacity the cab is pretty spartan. I thought it had room for a third in the middle but that must have been a different truck. You can put your lunchbox there but l don't think a midget would fit. The 2 who can ride in it are so far apart that you won't be chatting on long drives unless you've got an intercom. That brings up the sound of that engine....its cool but it makes me wonder why they did it. I somehow thought the whole idea of going 2 stroke was to get more or at least as much power as the 4 strokers but to save weight and size. I don't know for sure but it appears the 8V92TA is as big as the Cummins in the 923 and pretty close to as big as the cummins in a 916. Power is a lot more than the NHC250 obviously but not a lot more than the 400 in 916. Fuel consumption is up by a fairly large amount. The sound that giant Roots blower makes is pretty cool though and top it off with rotary muffler/whistler and its way cool.
All in all I'd have to say this one has some very high neatness ratio's and is fun to drive. I think the seats are much more comfy than the 923 though I don't know if I'd like to drive it through another fallen hero procession with kids lining the streets. The 923 seems big for that but this would be worse.

Thanks to Wreckerman for the help in getting this one home to Dave and to Dave for letting me play with it.

Frank

Frank

TacticalTruck

Hey. That's pretty neat. It doesn't seem to want to tip over like the one I have been driving.

Stop TRYING to do wheelies and stoppies, Monkeyboy! Actually the thing feels pretty tippy but is more stable as just a power unit then you'd think. I figure if it didn't nose in coming off the trailer w/ a front flat, you'd have to try pretty hard to tip it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am told by Honeywell that it noses down fairly easy, up tp now I can not verify that.

wingman2012

I feel jealous. I picked the power unit and traileer separate from Barstow. I receive it on Wednesday next week.

Wished I waited for JVILLE (all those seem like they were serviced recently)

Mine does not even start. Hoping for best. Finally found someone locally that works on engines like these.

Hope all goes smooth and hope I dont need to buy parts that I cant find.

Will let you all know how it works out.

Hoefler

My truck has finally arrived here in the great northern woods. She fired right up and was very easy to back off the truck. Will take a little getting used to-drives different than anything I have ever driven.
My truck shows 2,200 miles and appears those are actual. There are no leaks anywhere-engine is not the slightest oily. She looks to be a real gem. Found lots of prozes in the storage boxes including the mother of all jacks, new never used slave cable-super heavy type, lots of tools and never used straps.
Pete

Attachments

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
YEP, I loaded that first thing WED morning, ran out of time Tues. You will notice the high/low shift is real tight, takes a bit to to shift from H to L, other then that needing a slave off [thumbzup], I had it running about a 1 1/2 hr. before load, so maybe that charged the batteries enough to start when it got to your LZ., I would put a LONG LOW amp charge on the batteries

GREAT choice for hauler, the perfect trailer to haul a MK48 (the only thing better would be a RGN), beavertail with some nice ramps, wish more buyers thought ahead this way, would make life a lot easier loading these trucks, Thank You

ZZ4x4

YEP, I loaded that first thing WED morning, ran out of time Tues. You will notice the high/low shift is real tight, takes a bit to to shift from H to L, other then that needing a slave off [thumbzup], I had it running about a 1 1/2 hr. before load, so maybe that charged the batteries enough to start when it got to your LZ., I would put a LONG LOW amp charge on the batteries

GREAT choice for hauler, the perfect trailer to haul a MK48 (the only thing better would be a RGN), beavertail with some nice ramps, wish more buyers thought ahead this way, would make life a lot easier loading these trucks, Thank You
Ron, are you going back this week with Richard? I should be on his list for load-out. I asked for a similar trailer ( step deck with ramps) but the logistics companies tell you they are hard to come by so you kinda get what you get. Unloading will be a b--- without ramps. :?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ZZ4x4, if thay send a standard flatbed, it will be a toss up if it is allowed to load or not, MAKE SURE thay send at least a stepdeck, as far as unloading goes, just put a cucv cross ways behind the trailer, as you back across it, it will form a ramp as it crushs down

Hoefler

Thanks to Ron and Wreckerman and Andy1234 for all the help in getting my MK48 home to Minnesota. Complicated recovery and logistics unlike that of a Duece or even a 5-ton. Andy arranged the truck and trailer-he gets the credit. It was nice, low and easy to back the truck from trailer.
Truck was low on battery power so had to jump start. Did a long charge but realized some of the battery cables where loose. Mine only had two batteries in it-they looked fresh too. After a long charge I put a desulfator battery tender on it to freshen up the batteries.
Took here out for a brief ride on a back road and found all shifts smooth up and down-truck appears to have no issues. Slow drive and sharp turns creates ruckus-faster and wider turn-no ruckus. The lever for transfer case and diff lock should be noted-center is all unlocked and much smoother in turns.
Thanks again the three men who helped me with this-no drama. I even got to speak with the man who has the best Steel Soldiers name-Wreckerman!
Pete

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Pete, they ALL only have two batteries, I checked some of the batteries, most had a 09 date even though they looked new, I think if I had one of these trucks, I would just throw a pair 8Ns in if I had to replace the batteries

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If Ron is willing to put up with my snoring again he should be with me on the next load out.

I have enough clients to make the mission a go.

Central Command is cutting orders to send us TDY back to FOB Holiday Inn Express.

Other than being insufferably humid Jacksonville was actually cooler than Central GA and AL.

Ron has reconned some wrecker outfits and Fastenall's (in case we need bolts) so we should be prepared for most situations.

Papa Bear said he was buying the beer and steak when we head back from this recovery.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks