• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who Bought Those Oshkosh MK-48s???

BiffJ

We had a good look at the system yesterday turning the steering wheel while stopped and its amazing what all moves. With the truck running and the parking brake off the front wheels start moving first when you turn the wheel and then the trailer begins. The FPU slides one way while the trailer slides the other. You can see the tires loading up and flexing til they slip and when they unload there is a bang or clunk as springs and stuff bump against the sides of their brackets. Its not something I'd do much just to see but we wanted to know what was going on. We did it on fairly dusty smooth concrete so there wouldn't be too much sideload. It does appear that the design was intended to do this and the spring ends are free to move sideways in their end brackets. I'm sure there will be more wear with this system than if they were fixed tight but it also allows more freedom of movement to the suspension and wheels and for offroading thats important. As someone else noted, these trucks are offroad kings but on the road they are not so great. Remember what they were built for and it all makes sense. War and military action frequently require all terrain capability and while this truck will handle improved roads it shines on the unimproved and nonexistant. They were also intended to be worked on all the time by otherwise unoccupied youngsters with guns.( Gotta keep em busy you know....) What we see as a maintainence or wear issue wasn't a problem for the deep pocket govt who could afford all the spares and labor to keep em runnin.

Frank

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You will get a lot of wear turning at a stand still, once moving even going slow will GREATLY lessen that wear, going at a decent speed, there will be very little wear

Hoefler

With mine now licensed and insured, I was able to take it out on the highway yesterday. Drove a round trip of about 12 miles and report the following:
To reduce strain on FPU suspension, initiate turn when in motion. Manage steering wheel in a fluid motion and try not to adjust. The optics of your turn is late due to your siting position in relation to front steer axle and the arc the articulation puts the vehicle in. When done like this-no or minimal bucking and kicking-one can actually get this monster to make a very tight turn.
Drove with speeds up to 40 MPH-very satisfying shift point and engine sound-hold wheel steady with minimal correction. If you are an experienced pilot or boater you will find real similarities here. This thing is herded more than driven. Make all steering corrections less than normal then wait for the vehicle to catch up.
Truck went down the road smooth and very straight with zero issue-very rewarding to drive smooth.
I have my transfer case and diffs unlocked (lever in center).
Note: Somebody on this thread mentioned drive shaft timing-FPU to trailer. I checked mine and found my FPU-trailer where not separated from one another. Looked in the TM to see what it says about timing or "phasing"-have found nothing yet outside of having the companion flanges being match marked. This may be something everybody should check should there be more to timing-phasing of drive shafts.
I noted my truck water temp ran at about 205 degrees. TM states thermostats open between 165 and 197.
Last note-scribs has several manuals on the truck downloadable for 5 bucks.
Pete

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In a few places the-10 talks about when separating the two units, MARK the makeup drive line flange so things could go back the same as taken apart, if this was not IMPORTANT, the -10 would not make a point of this three or four times, the ONLY reason to STRESS the drive line marking would be to make sure that the drive line connection was TIMED.

Hoefler

I have checked the orientation of my FPU to trailer drive shaft. Found there are no match marks on mine. Given the low miles and painted threads on this truck indicates it may have never been apart.
The two pictures show the relationship of the trailer front U-joint yoke and the FPU CARDAN bearing yoke orientation. I am standing on the drivers side of truck. For reference only-assume nothing and verify with TM.
Pete

Attachments

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paradeduty,
Can't wait to see your's in person!
Couple in service videos

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULRw-ut4vuo&feature=related[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M5uWyPq1jo&feature=related[/media]

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
To time the drive, the front u-joint caps that are attached to the shaft needs to match the clocking of the u-joint caps that are attached to the MATING FLANG. After the mating flanges are connected, the front D/S becomes a TWO u-joint D/S, and like any two u-joint D/S need to be in time.

BradBMI

Hey watch this video the real dragon wagon

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOWS235dB-M&feature=related[/media]

MAJ MALFUNCTION

Our Mk48/14 arrived at the ranch this last weekend!

This is THE MOST pristine GL MV that I've ever taken delivery of. It was basically rebuilt in 2010 and then it sat around (very low miles/hours).

I can't say enough about how incredibly helpful Wreckerman and Ron were!!!! They made the recovery of this vehicle easy, pleasey - it could have been a nightmare, with the two halves separated (like mine were). Thanks again, gentlemen!!

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

This is THE MOST pristine GL MV that I've ever taken delivery of. It was basically rebuilt in 2010 and then it sat around (very low miles/hours).

I can't say enough about how incredibly helpful Wreckerman and Ron were!!!! They made the recovery of this vehicle easy, pleasey - it could have been a nightmare, with the two halves separated (like mine were). Thanks again, gentlemen!!
WOW - Showroom New condition!!! (Except for that mud you got on the tires rolling it around your field - LOL)

B E A U T I F U L ! ! !

:driver:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

BESURE you torque ALL the bolts both in the drive line coupling and the connecting flanges BEFORE you go playing

caliber1

Man, that thing is beautiful!!! That came out of Jax?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

FPU Not rebuilt, under coated late 09, our tax dollars at work

Last edited:

Hoefler

My SF arrives last Friday via UPS. Nobody home to recv it so had to pick it up at the local post office. If anybody is has not seen theirs from the first JAX batch-this may be why.
I hit the local DMV last Sat and 20 minutes later walked out with FARM (Minnesota) plates. To secure the plates to the truck I used electical cable clamps-the metal type with plastic liner. I "hung" the front plate to the grill openings, the rear FPU plate to the rear fender ladder. Did not want to put any new holes in my teruck-its to clean.
Have driven about 10 miles so far-takes practice but getting the hang of her handling.
Pete

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Warning Order

On August 27th, 2012, the MK48 recovery team (Task Force Elmo) will exfiltrate FOB Possum in Alabama and convoy to Jacksonville, FL for Phase III of Operation MK48 Recovery.

SP time at FOB Possum will be O700 on 27 Aug.

ETA at FOB Holliday Inn will be 1600 on 27 Aug.

Operations will begin at 0800 on 28 Aug. All vehicles scheduled for loadout by TFE will be assembled on that day. Operations will cease at 1400 as dictated by Command Group, Blount Island.

Shipping will commence at 0800 on 29 August and continue until Close Of Business that day.

Alibi shipping will be on 30 Aug but is strongly discouraged. Anyone planning to have vehicles loaded out is strongly encouraged to have a firm date with your shipper for the 29th.

POC is the originating source of this Warning Order.

jpinst

My SF arrives last Friday via UPS. Nobody home to recv it so had to pick it up at the local post office. If anybody is has not seen theirs from the first JAX batch-this may be why.
I hit the local DMV last Sat and 20 minutes later walked out with FARM (Minnesota) plates. To secure the plates to the truck I used electical cable clamps-the metal type with plastic liner. I "hung" the front plate to the grill openings, the rear FPU plate to the rear fender ladder. Did not want to put any new holes in my teruck-its to clean.
Have driven about 10 miles so far-takes practice but getting the hang of her handling.
Pete
Were they giving all of you "overhauled" dates as the year of manufacture?

They sent me a SF that stated my truck was manufactured in 2007, and Oshkosh was not even making them that late. Regardless, CA would never allow such a truck to be registered as a 2007 model year and if they did it would cost a few grand in fees. I checked with Oshkosh and given the serial number mine was made in 1986, so I sent it back and told them to fix it. Besides, CA says that when registering the vehicle, the original date of manufacture counts, even if its been restored.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks