• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who Bought Those Oshkosh MK-48s???

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If Ron is willing to put up with my snoring again he should be with me on the next load out.

I have enough clients to make the mission a go.

Central Command is cutting orders to send us TDY back to FOB Holiday Inn Express.

Other than being insufferably humid Jacksonville was actually cooler than Central GA and AL.

Ron has reconned some wrecker outfits and Fastenall's (in case we need bolts) so we should be prepared for most situations.

Papa Bear said he was buying the beer and steak when we head back from this recovery.
Ear plugs work great

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
hey Guys,
Just hauled a MK48/18A1 from NC, and it is HEAVY! The trailer is very heavy! We Grossed out at 79,000lbs with 1/2 tank of fuel. The unit weighs over 47,000lbs! This is the heavest load we have hauled to date. We are getting 5 mpg on level ground. When we hit the mountains, we are expecting to get 3 mpg!..We used 12 chains to tie it down!..Lucky we dont need over weight permits, which saved our customer $$. for his long haul. Remember, a RGN will require over weight Permits in every state it goes through.
The only trucks that can haul this would be 53' all alumium spread axel step deck, or a 48' alumium and steel spread axel step deck like ours. We will drop our trailer down to 28 inches to help offload these MK48's with 8' ramps, we can use another 8' for a total of 16' of ramps, which at 28" height makes a very easy offload in any neaborhood.
These are very tricky to load backwards!
Make sure you tell the brokers what you have, and need, or you will have some very pissed off truckers when they see what they have to load, and it wont get done.
These are nothing like the MK48/14's..!
Kevin..

Attachments

Last edited:

Augdog1964

FYI on SF-97s

Hey all,

I attempted over the weekend to do my SF97 request on the MK48 and trailer. When I placed my invoice # in, it said the request had already been made. Despite borderline freaking out... I contacted GL this morning...

Since the sale was in Jacksonville, due to some motor vehicle licensing issue, all the titles for anything coming out of Jacksonville, will automatically be generated from the FL office of GL. You don't have to do the SF97... at least thats what I'm being told.

I will say all my contact with GL has been fantastic... they are responsive and always willing to help...

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey guys,
Somewhere in SS, (I cant find it again), I saw a TM manual for the MK48's. I need to find the Camo pattern layout for mk14 trailer.
thanks!
Kevin..

Last edited:

bbf

took the truck on a 40 mile road trip at low speed make for instresting driving at 55 its get better but dose like to drift also notice there not much for power steering on the front axle it a job turing the wheel and dose return from turns

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FL titles

I received my title paperwork for the 2 trucks today - one had an error on the trailer's VIN - it didnt match the Oshkosh serial number. Take a close look at your papers.

Hoefler

I saw the same thing and decided to confirm this with gl. It's correct. I was told my sf97 was mailed yesterday. With any luck I will be dealing with the local DMV. They have been good so far but am concerned about t
He gvw being so high. Will try to register as farm truck.
Pete

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You guys that had us put together the units so they could be loaded, need to make sure the drive line connection is timed as well as adding bolts and torquing the bolts, pulling the #2 axle struts used with single unit FPUs, as stated before we are doing what is needed to facilitate truck load out, the rest is up to the BUYER, So remember the truck is NOT ready to play when it shows up, I am bring this to your attention because I don't want to see a truck torn up because the GREEN ADDECTION took control with a instant gratification result.

To rotate the front drive shaft to time the two shafts, the interlock/def lock SWITCH MUST be in the center position (both the interlock/def lock disengaged)

Augdog1964

Drive Line Balance?

I've read and have both the general maintenance procedures TM, and the Parts Manual, but have found not references to drive line timing?

Do you have a procedure or TM you can point us MK48 owners to?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

hairba11

so to those who have got theirs, i noticed during low speed maneuvering a pretty hefty clunk coming out of the rear tractor axle.
while riding on a couch on the trailer i can actually see the rear axle shift an inch or so.
crawling underneath the seals on the lower links are cracked and you can see marks in the pint inside the spring pocket where the axle is shifting side to side.
I realize this is a suspension setup similar to the rear of the 818 but i'm wondering if there is supposed to be that much play or are the ball joints worn out or if anyone has noticed it while driving around.

Hoefler

Mine has the clunk on low speed. I have looked closely at the set up and noticed that the springs can move around in there perches. Note the the rear axel on the FPU does not steer. When you turn sharp, lots of force is put on this axel. To reduce the clunk I start out by driving forward then gradually begin my turn under power. I think the key is to get the trailer articulated at the same time the wheels are steering and in motion. Think of the plan view of this-the rear axel on FPU will nicely follow the same arc as the rear trailer. If you try to turn sharp out of the blocks, the FPU axel needs to find this arc-gradual is better.
Pete

BiffJ

I also noticed some clunking noise when turning but only at low speed or when stopped. It appears that the hydraulic steering is not only powerful but doesn't necessarily work in a smooth and well coordinated fashion with the front wheel steering. As Pete noted steering only while rolling and not overdoing will probably help. I haven't had a look at the springs or rear axles as far as movement is concerned but I'll have a look at them tomorrow and see if I can tell if they're moving around. The rear FPU axle is definitely fixed though I thought they steered until the truck showed up. I think the HEMMT second axle does steer but these don't.

Frank

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ron and I have made it back from another successfull mission to get the MK48's assembled and loaded for our brother MV addicts.

We are trying to work a deal with GL so that if we have enough clients we can go down the first week of September to do another load out mission.

Since all of the units that were sold last week are disconnected the plan is to go down on Sunday and assemble trucks on Monday. Tues and Wednesday would be shipping days.

If you have a truck in the system now waiting on the EUC to clear or if you have one ready to ship GL will extend your time if we are doing your load out.......you have to make it clear to them that the vehicle will leave that week.

I'll continue to communicate with GL and they are giving my contact info to outside parties. Hopefully there will be enough clients lined up to make a trip worthwile. The minimum is three but I'm fairly certain that we will meet that requirement.

Here are some pics of our return trip. We were not allowed to make photos on the base at the loading area so we have no pics of the load outs. We found this M35A3 at a VFD just north of Jacksonville.

Attachments

Last edited:

hairba11

Mine has the clunk on low speed. I have looked closely at the set up and noticed that the springs can move around in there perches. Note the the rear axel on the FPU does not steer. When you turn sharp, lots of force is put on this axel. To reduce the clunk I start out by driving forward then gradually begin my turn under power. I think the key is to get the trailer articulated at the same time the wheels are steering and in motion. Think of the plan view of this-the rear axel on FPU will nicely follow the same arc as the rear trailer. If you try to turn sharp out of the blocks, the FPU axel needs to find this arc-gradual is better.
Pete
I also noticed some clunking noise when turning but only at low speed or when stopped. It appears that the hydraulic steering is not only powerful but doesn't necessarily work in a smooth and well coordinated fashion with the front wheel steering. As Pete noted steering only while rolling and not overdoing will probably help. I haven't had a look at the springs or rear axles as far as movement is concerned but I'll have a look at them tomorrow and see if I can tell if they're moving around. The rear FPU axle is definitely fixed though I thought they steered until the truck showed up. I think the HEMMT second axle does steer but these don't.

Frank
thanks guys. i did end up pulling one of the dogbones off and checking, the ball joints are nice and tight, just the seals cracked. i guess normally an axle wandering side to side an inch would be grounds for concern, but it is designed in. these are Extreme Mobility, not Extreme Highway.

the lag in the hydraulic steering does lend to some weird handling. haven't had it on the road yet, just tooling around the backyard.

also got to play with the lockers. the neighbor kids have a 4' tall dirt ramp for their four wheelers, etc. and i went over that. after a little slipping.
with the locker switch centered everything is differentialed and you have one wheel peel. the transfer case lock positively drives the trailer giving you 2 wheel peel, the differential lock controls the interaxle differentials giving you 4 wheel peel.
if you manage to unload one tire on all 4 axles it is time for a big wrecker.

hairba11

ok
1: cab, max extension on offset dirt piles.
2: cab, max compression on offset dirt piles
3: trailer max extension
4: daylight under 1 tire = stuck with all diffs open.
second round
5: cab extended, trailer compressed
6: trailer extended
7: daylight under two wheels unloads the front of the tractor enough for 3 wheels spinning = stuck with transfercase locked.
8: i actually had 4 wheels spinning due to the articulation here, but that was crawling along. backing up about 6 feet and giving less than 1/4 throttle forward was enough to maintain traction. forward motion was halted even with the interaxle diff lock engaged while idling forward in low.

8x8 = 200% more stuck.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks