• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who Bought Those Oshkosh MK-48s???

3dAngus

Yes, true. And I'm NOT saying it will be scraped.

These later posts, and the fact I was informed of inside activity of more scraping coming, that brought it to mind. Just an Oh, by the way.....

It would be interesting to know the final outcome, but doubt we will find out.

triliji

Interesting as I never did receive an official request from the DRMS. Only an email from GL saying that the Front unit is recalled and I can pick up the trailer to the tune of a little less than 1/2 the purchase price.

This equates to about 5K..much more than the scrap value.

This was a one lot auction with 2 items.

I have been happy with GL in the past and hope this is on the up and up. I requested the official DRMS request for the recall so let's see what happens

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was looking to bid on some items that would have generated 100,000 pounds of scrap.....the scrapper I was going to sell it to called me today and offered $10.50 per hundred pounds.
That caused me not to bid on said items.
He told me that scrap prices were going to the basement until after the election in Nov. Eveybody is nervous about the economy.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is addressed to all those MK48 owners that Ron and I assisted in recovering their vehicles.

I'm going to put my Public Affairs Supervisor hat back on and put the following information out.

Take my advice or not but as before I'm here to help if needed.

Yes, when you purchased the vehicle from the government there was all kind of legalese in the contract that you made with GL. We all got that.

You purchased said vehicle in good faith assuming that everone in the gooberment had their ducks in a row when the decsion was made to surplus out the equipment.

I assume that if you had the funds to purchase one or more of these units you have the means to hire a lawyer or at least consult one.

The first thing I would do is put said lawyer in the loop.

The second thing I would do is to go in person to my Congressman...right now...not next week...right now. Explain the situation and demand an accounting.

Be polite but let him/her know that you have no intention of returning the equipment until your issues are resolved.

This equipment belonged to the DOD which has to answer all Congressional inquiries. They cannot ignore them. And they do not like them because someone has to answer the tough questions.

Demand that whoever made the decsion to send this stuff out the door is held accountable and suffers the consequenses of their actions.

Since these trucks were purchased by folks from all over the country that is several Congressionals that have to be answered.

Get together as a group and present a united front with the Congressmen and lawyers speaking for you.

Do not surrender the truck(s) until the persons resposible have been held accountable and you have been reimbursed for all of your expenses plus compensation for loss of use for the equipment.

Contact the media and get them involved. They love a David vs Goliath story and the goobement hates bad press. Whatever agency is responsible has a Public Affairs section......call them and let them know that the press is going to show up on their door and demand an accounting of this SNAFU.

This is an election year and Congress critters are pandering for votes......use them to your advantage.

As Yogi Berra so sagely put it "it ain't over till it's over."

Attachments

Last edited:

trukhead

Maybe now is the time to also address the issue on why we can't have HMMWV's..
:idea:, hope it's not :deadhorse:, It would be :) to get and keep one for limited use.

Jbrowning22

That's messed up.

So what happens if you just ignore the notice to return the truck? No "what can happen" in legalese, but how far will they really take it. Has anyone just flat out ignored one of these notices before?

I'd be really interested to see what would happen if the buyer has already sold the truck, and they tried to go after the current owner. I'm aware of what it says in the EUC, I'm just really curious how that would all pan out in court with third party.

".....I gave the money to my friend Jiggs Casey, and with it he built a N......."

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is addressed to all those MK48 owners that Ron and I assisted in recovering their vehicles.

I'm going to put my Public Affairs Supervisor hat back on and put the following information out.

Take my advice or not but as before I'm here to help if needed.

Yes, when you purchased the vehicle from the government there was all kind of legalese in the contract that you made with GL. We all got that.

You purchased said vehicle in good faith assuming that everone in the gooberment had their ducks in a row when the decsion was made to surplus out the equipment.

I assume that if you had the funds to purchase one or more of these units you have the means to hire a lawyer or at least consult one.

The first thing I would do is put said lawyer in the loop.

The second thing I would do is to go in person to my Congressman...right now...not next week...right now. Explain the situation and demand an accounting.

Be polite but let him/her know that you have no intention of returning the equipment until your issues are resolved.

This equipment belonged to the DOD which has to answer all Congressional inquiries. They cannot ignore them. And they do not like them because someone has to answer the tough questions.

Demand that whoever made the decsion to send this stuff out the door is held accountable and suffers the consequenses of their actions.

Since these trucks were purchased by folks from all over the country that is several Congressionals that have to be answered.

Get together as a group and present a united front with the Congressmen and lawyers speaking for you.

Do not surrender the truck(s) until the persons resposible have been held accountable and you have been reimbursed for all of your expenses plus compensation for loss of use for the equipment.

Contact the media and get them involved. They love a David vs Goliath story and the goobement hates bad press. Whatever agency is responsible has a Public Affairs section......call them and let them know that the press is going to show up on their door and demand an accounting of this SNAFU.

This is an election year and Congress critters are pandering for votes......use them to your advantage.

As Yogi Berra so sagely put it "it ain't over till it's over."
Wreckerman:
Many here, including myself, inspite of all the good natured ribbing and harassment that we banter about, trust your very wise insight into the bowels of our Goobermint and its inner workings. Thank you for sharing - quite bluntly - your wisdom and sage advise.

To everone addressed by Wreckerman's post quoted above....
To IGNORE this advise, and every detail contained therein, would not only be IGNORant, but would end up proving that IGNORance's fruit is most often FAILURE.
IMHO

However, to IGNORE the return order would be even more IGNORant.

Do not confuse these two tactics....
Addressing the RETURN ORDER through Wreckerman's suggested "battle plan" is taking a PROACTIVE APPROACH to dispute the ORDER. This is by no standard "ignoring" the order... Just a refusal to comply while the ORDER is being CONTESTED.

John

Last edited:

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up an MK48 from sale 11123, I took delivery a month or so ago. I have not received any correspondence from GL regarding its return. But, I have not received my titles yet either! :?

Anyone from sale 11123 get their titles yet?

just had a chat with a GL rep. Govt. wants the MK48s in their hands. not the ones already delivered to the customer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
just had a chat with a GL rep. Govt. wants the MK48s in their hands. not the ones already delivered to the customer.
Then why are they still selling them at other locations?

I got an email from one of the folks me and Ron assisted about picking up MK48's at another location.

My olefactory senses detect a rodent.

BiffJ

Maybe they want the ones back from Jacksonville because they're all made from gold bullion stolen from ft knox. Remember the Speed Racer episode where they took a lot of gold and made a race truck from it??? Maybe the jig is up and the authorities figured out where all the gold went and they want it back?
Not truly a useful post but its about as good a conjecture as most considering the info.

Frank

3dAngus

Now this latest news makes much better sense.

It would make much better sense they want to keep the ones on hand, rather than recall the ones removed from the military installation. This becomes especially true when GL is still selling at other military installations.

Other customers can come in and request them, even if late. So long as they are on the military installation, the contractors and the DOD are going to cater to our Allies, police, fire, National Guard, Military, and every other organization the DOD caters to before any civilian, whether it is paid for or not. Possession is 9/10th of the law with the military and DOD.

I still don't like it. A contract should be a contract. But, under the circumstances, I can live with it so long as full reimbursement is made.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now this latest news makes much better sense.

I still don't like it. A contract should be a contract. But, under the circumstances, I can live with it so long as full reimbursement is made.
:3dAngus::3dAngus::3dAngus::3dAngus::3dAngus:

I have been dying to use 3d's new smilie!

TOoo Cooollll

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was going to post this to the Military RR Equipment Thread but THERE IS NOT ONE.....so I'll post it here.

Today five military tank cars sold at Kings Bay Submarine base in GA.

I had designs on said cars and even made a recon trip over there to see them in person.

(Note to self....getting onto a nuke sub base is not easy).

Thanks to a good guy from Base Transportation named Jerry that met us (my crane guy....I told you I was serious) at the gate and took us to the cars.

When GL first put them on the site it said you could get a "hot work permit" and cut them up where they were sitting......inside a fuel tank farm :cookoo:.

Needless to say that blurb disappeared from the verbage after I asked how hard it was going to be to get the permit.

They then said that the tank could be easily removed from the frame and set on a truck. From the pictures it looked like two heavy metal straps were holding it to the frame. Buyer had to provide crane ("no GL or base loading assistance available" :roll: why did we know that).

During our inspection the crane guy (a super guy named Mike) noticed that the tank was held to the center beam of the car by 36 huge rivets (the cars were built in 1949) and since you could not cut them or burn them off this would have presented a challenge to remove them from the frame and load them on a truck. That verbage also disappeared when I provided that litte gem of info to GL.

Did I mention that the Gooberment would not move the cars with their locomotive engine under any circumstances?

Crane rental would have been around 1300 bucks a day plus fuel surcharge

When I left the base I stopped at a local scrapper since Ferro had estimated we could get 20,000 pounds of scrap off of each of them and I could keep the tanks (I had them sold for 4 grand each).

The scrapper said top dollar would have been 10.75 cents a pound neting me around ten grand for the scrap (not counting trucking it 28 miles to the scrapper from the base).

Shipping would have been around 2 grand each to get them back to my buddys farm (the buyer).

So thats $10,000.00 to get them to AL.
estimated $3,000.00 crane rental.
estimated $2,000.00 labor and expenses (Ferro and Ron were going to assist).
estimated $8,000.00 to buy them

Could not figure a way to cut the tank off the frame. No portable water jet cutter available in FL. Thought about hitting the rivets with liquid nitrogen and busting them off but I'm sure the Safety people on post would have an issue with that.

I was not going to bid over 1500 each which would have been 7500.00 plus GL fee and tax
which would have been around 8000 total (I figure in round numbers)

I'd get around $10,000.00 for the scrap and $20,000.00 for the tanks for a total of $30,000.00

Estimated cost (assuming I could get the tank off the frame) was around $23,000 which would have given me a profit of $7,000.00.

Not enough in my book especially since the Murphy factor is always there.

But here's the kicker...somebody paid around $32,400.00 for all five of them
after GL fee and tax.

To the top bidder goes the spoils......I wish them lots of luck on that.:popcorn:

Attachments

Last edited:

Bighurt

I was going to post this to the Military RR Equipment Thread but THERE IS NOT ONE.....so I'll post it here.

I had designs on said cars and even made a recon trip over there to see them in person.

(Note to self....getting onto a nuke sub base is not easy).

Thanks to a good guy from Base Transportation named Jerry that met us (my crane guy....I told you I was serious) at the gate and took us to the cars.

When GL first put them on the site it said you could get a "hot work permit" and cut them up where they were sitting......inside a fuel tank farm :cookoo:.

Needless to say that blurb disappeared from the verbage after I asked how hard it was going to be to get the permit.

They then said that the tank could be easily removed from the frame and set on a truck. From the pictures it looked like two heavy metal straps were holding it to the frame. Buyer had to provide crane ("no GL or base loading assistance available" :roll: why did we know that).

During our inspection the crane guy (a super guy named Mike) noticed that the tank was held to the center beam of the car by 36 huge rivets (the cars were built in 1949) and since you could not cut them or burn them off this would have presented a challenge to remove them from the frame and load them on a truck. That verbage also disappeared when I provided that litte gem of info to GL.

Did I mention that the Gooberment would not move the cars with their locomotive engine under any circumstances?

Crane rental would have been around 1300 bucks a day plus fuel surcharge

When I left the base I stopped at a local scrapper since Ferro had estimated we could get 20,000 pounds of scrap off of each of them and I could keep the tanks (I had them sold for 4 grand each).

The scrapper said top dollar would have been 10.75 cents a pound neting me around ten grand for the scrap (not counting trucking it 28 miles to the scrapper from the base).

Shipping would have been around 2 grand each to get them back to my buddys farm (the buyer).

So thats $10,000.00 to get them to AL.
estimated $3,000.00 crane rental.
estimated $2,000.00 labor and expenses (Ferro and Ron were going to assist).
estimated $8,000.00 to buy them

Could not figure a way to cut the tank off the frame. No portable water jet cutter available in FL. Thought about hitting the rivets with liquid nitrogen and busting them off but I'm sure the Safety people on post would have an issue with that.

I was not going to bid over 1500 each which would have been 7500.00 plus GL fee and tax
which would have been around 8000 total (I figure in round numbers)

I'd get around $10,000.00 for the scrap and $20,000.00 for the tanks for a total of $30,000.00

Estimated cost (assuming I could get the tank off the frame) was around $23,000 which would have given me a profit of $7,000.00.

Not enough in my book especially since the Murphy factor is always there.

after GL fee and tax.

To the top bidder goes the spoils......I wish them lots of luck on that.:popcorn:
They won't touch them cause they are probably bad order, out of inspection or no one knows how to service them. Those journal bearings are probably dry as...well dry. And those journals have to be manually packed...

Old rail equipment is cool, but it's more expensive then vehicles...I think old planes are worse but you get the point.

And I think there is a thread on railway equipment now, just not a forum.

zout

I was thinking more along the lines WM was on a sub base - he may want them tanks to start his own submarine company out in Huntsville - "along the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico".

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

after GL fee and tax.

I would guess the FIX WAS IN from the get go, a SCRAPER had already GREASED the rails or arranged to if won the bid, since more the one bidder was bidding, I would have to guess more then one ADVANCE deal was made. Who ever won those cars WILL get them MOVED, get ALL the permits and ANYTHING else needed to recover these cars.

This is one of those deals where the LITTLE guy has more of a chance of selling ice in HE11 then ever have a chance to make any money COMPEATING against the DEEP POCKET big guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks