• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who pulls trailers regularly?

aaron379

So just wondering how many of you guys pull trailers regularly and how do you have to park them? I myself pull my M105A2 everywhere.... Now you might be wondering why I do this? Its just because I can and thats why I got it... but one thing i have found out very quick is that the trailer is a little bit narrower than the deuce which makes it hard to back. I have to back my truck about 200 feet to get it where its supposed to be and to make matters worse I always come home in the dark.... but I do have back up lights so i thought I would show how I back my trailer... I made a red aluminum marker flag with reflective tape so I can see my trailer when it is in a straight line with my truck works quite well.... Cut down on the cussing and the pull ups

Alredneck

Banned
I pull a 40ft gooseneck over 100K in the last year n half. I also pull a M871. And just about anything that will hook up to my truck. Looking at buildin a 53-65ft expandable.

The problem with backing small trailer is the rig is longer than the trailer, the longer the trailer and the shorter the rig, the easier it is to backup. Its all about the angles!

Alredneck

Banned
Bighurt, it seems that im always in need of a bigger trailer. So I figure a expandable would answer the cause. Also give me more options in loads I can haul. Permits are always a pain, I hate giving money to the state, we pay enough taxes at the pump then they stick us with apportioned fees and the rat bastard IFTA. Its a shame what the transportation industry has become, they say its for safety, but give a 18yr old kid a CDL who driven nothing but a automatic honda all his two years of driving time. Then put him in 80k worth of rig and see what happens, cant back up to a dock, dont know how to adjust his axles. Its sickening. Rant off! Sorry about the high jack!aua

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
but give a 18yr old kid a CDL who driven nothing but a automatic honda all his two years of driving time. Then put him in 80k worth of rig and see what happens, cant back up to a dock, dont know how to adjust his axles. Its sickening. Rant off! Sorry about the high jack!aua

well you have to start somewhere....

Bighurt

If you are used to backing a long trailer a short one (like an M105) will make a fool out of you.
Wich is why i regularly practice. I have a little utility trailer...that has quite a few choice names. The m871 and Fiver are my favorites. Long enough to enjoy but not so long as I get stuck.

frodobaggins

If you are used to backing a long trailer a short one (like an M105) will make a fool out of you.
Yeah I remember opening my big mouth one time at a job site. Couple guys were having a **** of a time trying to back up a 105 with a deuce. The truck was assigned to me and I figured ****, I've been backing up trailers since I was ten. Get out I said, I'll take it over. They jumped out gladly and proceeded to laugh at me for the next ten minutes until I gave up and called over someone else to do it properly.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We pull 105's on every trip that is not just around base camp. Our main one is the fuel harvester, but now I'm pulling a 105 hardtop.

I'm adding water can mounts to the sides so that they are easier to see when strait. Elise is learning how to back trailers w/ a M109 / M105 combo . . . as if that wasn't enough of a challenge we've now thrown in 395's. She's becoming one he!! of a driver :D

Jimma

Great idea on the flags. The m105 is really difficult to back up unless you do it regularly. Its such a pain I choose not to do it regularly and try to park it where I can pull through and drop it instead of backing it in. My trailer turns me into a bad, foul, and evil person sometimes.

gunboy1656

I made a couple hundred bucks off my platoon Sgt and platoon leader in back to back years at annual training by backing trailers.

One year it was backing an M116 while using an M1037. The next year they upped the ante on me and gave me a deuce and M105.

I had to back both of them down this little trail with trees on both sides and one tree right at the bottom. (Why the trailers were needed to be put there is still a mystery) They both tried and neither of them could do it. Is I was walking by (the first year) , I was joking as I walked by and said how much if I can do it? Deal was made and I did it in one shot. Both their jaws were on the ground.

The next year, I did not have to joke. I was called in from the start. Deal was made for me to have a day off if I could do it. said I would need to do one pull up as the area was tight for the truck. I did it as requested, they just looked at me in awe. Only thing bad about showing people up like that is they expect you to teach everyone else how to do it as well.

Funny thing is where I keep my trailer should be a sort of easy place, but my dad wants it right up against a wall, that takes a few tries to get it right where he wants it.

Also, aaron379. If you could how about some closer pics/ dimensions, I know a few people who could use them.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have an M105 Trailer that is typically parked in the backyard. I pride myself (I know that PRIDE is sinful) at being pretty good when it comes to backing trailers.

The 10' wide back chainlink yard gate is angled in relation to the 25" wide residential alley that it opens onto. Therefore, the rig must be backed in "on a curve".

I have NEVER even scraped a gatepost ! Luck or Skill... or Angels watching over me????

We are looking at some longer MV Trailers right now. So I'm currently "remodeling" the back fence to make it a 24' wide opening. That should make it even easier [thumbzup]