• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who's running dynamic tire balancing beads?

spankybear

On the Liquid Truck Tire Balancer has anyone had a tire repaired with the stuff inside? I would think that a tire repair place may not work on a tire.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
On the Liquid Truck Tire Balancer has anyone had a tire repaired with the stuff inside? I would think that a tire repair place may not work on a tire.
We use it in our over the road truck tires. Best One tire actually puts it in the tire when they mount em.

They just soak it up from the tire with a sponge. Fix the tire and reinstall. It actually helps detect leaks alot better since it'll be a green puddle under the truck or coming from the leak.

And you are thinking too much. Honestly.

If that's the case have em spin balanced. It'll last the whole life that the 395s can give you. Around 20k miles maybe 25 if you rotate em enough.

spankybear

That is a 445 65 22.5 which is .5in short than a 395. But 2in wider. Spin balancing only took 3oz of weight. This was done with sticky weights. Rebalance every 30k mi
I not too sure that's a fair comparison to say only using 3oz... Was there a bead lock in that tire not to mention all of the CTIS accouterments . Also has anyone done a spin balance on the LMTV tires?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I not too sure that's a fair comparison to say only using 3oz... Was there a bead lock in that tire not to mention all of the CTIS accouterments . Also has anyone done a spin balance on the LMTV tires?
Has a 80lb runflat in it. On an aluminum wheel. So it actually nearly the same weight as an LMTV wheel with a 395

Both tires weigh around 205/206lbs

If you want i can take one down there on Monday and spin em. Brand new tire on a wheel and a used one off an LMTV

spankybear

with reading all of the adding stuff inside of the tire I was kind of under the impression you couldn't spin balance. If you can spin balance I am doing that!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Where would you have that done? I doubt my local discount tire would touch them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some big truck shops have em. TA truck stops. Just call around. Have a few places in Memphis that do it.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the linked doc:

"If using dynamic balancing (e.g. ball bearings - be sure to use something that won’t clog the CTIS), a ratio of 1oz to every 13lb of tire works well."

So with ~350 pounds of wheel and tire, 350/13*1 yields ~27 ounces or ~1.68 pounds of media.

Does that sound about correct?
I have been running Dynabeads in my 335 80 R20 MPT 81's on my Ram for years. When I spoke to the owner of Dynabeads he asked me how much the tires weighed, not tire and rim. The Conti's are 115 lbs and he said for that weight the chart called for a little over 14oz's, so I bought 16oz bags. They also offer larger beads designed for large off road tires. The reason for the larger beads is that the inside of larger tires is rougher than smaller tires and the small beads get trapped in the rough surface and don't properly migrate to where they need to be. Anyway, buy the math in your post my tires would only require a little under 9oz's, so I don't think it's correct.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Experience. Broke down a tire last week that it was clumped up. Its still at my shop I'll take a pic of what it looks like. Even with just moisture of airing it up it clumped sitting for about a month upright.

This really happens if any extra tire lube or soap gets into the tire. Water. Soap. Beads at the bottom for any period of time is going to clump together and stay together. I have to use the monkey snot soap on the beads of the larger tires on the outside to clog the bead for air to not escape sometimes it gets inside as well.

They say they don't clump up with "ambient moisture" meaning if it's cold or raining outside. If you have an air dryer that is allowing any moisture to get by and then the wet tank doesn't catch it then its going to get into the ctis system. Especially if the system has a leak and has to work hard for some reason Then it's just in there
I run Dyna Beads and just installed new tires. When the old tires came off, the beads were in perfect shape and completely free and rolling around. In fact, I plan to vacuum them out next time I change tires and reuse them.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I'm flying out to the east coast to look at a truck to purchase friday evening. If i buy the truck, I'll be flying back out in late September to drive it home. The truck will have Eco Hubs installed prior to the trip home, Maryland to California, but I'm expecting the cruising speed to be limited by tire imbalance. I have no experience with LMTV wheels, so I'm curious if the beads could be inserted through the stud the CTIS hose is connected to? If that would be possible, the beads would be in the area between the bead lock and the rim and I'm wondering if they would be trapped there or if they would be able to migrate out into the tire? I realize I could do the antifreeze thing, but I'm in the camp of worrying about that making a gummy mess. Thanks

Reworked LMTV

Strongly recommend you do not do the glass beads. Tried this last year on one tire to see if it would work. Beads will migrate and inhibit CTIS.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If liquid balancing fluid migrates out eventually, which would seem logical, some would have to accumulate in the air passage void around the axle inside the axle housing. Any leaks in the seals would allow fluid into wheel bearings during CTIS cycles, and we would never know it.

The big issue I have had with LMTV tires in 395 x 20 is being out of round. Years ago I tried beads in 365x20 Unimog tires. Didn't work very well. Working with Dynabead we determined that with out-of-round tires, no amount of beads got rid of the bounce.

So what is the issue you all are trying to fix? Do you feel the cab bounce at low speed because the tires aren't round (like mine does), or feel the cab wobble sideways at low speed? Doubt anything in the tire would fix that.

PS, I have ground rubber off to make tires "rounder" and that made a big difference. The relatively slow revolutions of our huge tires sorta negates the need for balancing.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If liquid balancing fluid migrates out eventually, which would seem logical, some would have to accumulate in the air passage void around the axle inside the axle housing. Any leaks in the seals would allow fluid into wheel bearings during CTIS cycles, and we would never know it.

The big issue I have had with LMTV tires in 395 x 20 is being out of round. Years ago I tried beads in 365x20 Unimog tires. Didn't work very well. Working with Dynabead we determined that with out-of-round tires, no amount of beads got rid of the bounce.

So what is the issue you all are trying to fix? Do you feel the cab bounce at low speed because the tires aren't round (like mine does), or feel the cab wobble sideways at low speed? Doubt anything in the tire would fix that.

PS, I have ground rubber off to make tires "rounder" and that made a big difference. The relatively slow revolutions of our huge tires sorta negates the need for balancing.
Tire truing machines are out there. Most people just make their own cause alot of shops don't use em anymore really.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Strongly recommend you do not do the glass beads. Tried this last year on one tire to see if it would work. Beads will migrate and inhibit CTIS.
Dyna Beads are ceramic, and the larger beads don't require filtered valve stems, but that doesn't mean they'll be safe with the CTIS system. Do you know the size of the orifice they need to stay out of? I'm assuming smaller that a airsoft ball, which I think is larger than the large Dyna Beads.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire truing machines are out there. Most people just make their own cause alot of shops don't use em anymore really.
I would imagine it would be difficult to find a shop with a tire lathe large enough to handle these tires, but I could be wrong, and yes, I can attest to the fact that no amount of beads will fix an out of round tire. This is why I now run the MPT *1's on my Ram. Too many 40" LT tires that just couldn't be balanced due to out of round issues. I have heard from multiple tire sellers that the Goodyear tires on these trucks are hit an miss for being round, whereas the Continental MPT 81's rarely have issues. Through multiple sets of MPT 81's I've not had a bad tire. The down side is they wear fast. Continental is releasing a new version later this year that early testing shows a 30% increase in tread life, so maybe an option in the future.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I would imagine it would be difficult to find a shop with a tire lathe large enough to handle these tires, but I could be wrong, and yes, I can attest to the fact that no amount of beads will fix an out of round tire. This is why I now run the MPT *1's on my Ram. Too many 40" LT tires that just couldn't be balanced due to out of round issues. I have heard from multiple tire sellers that the Goodyear tires on these trucks are hit an miss for being round, whereas the Continental MPT 81's rarely have issues. Through multiple sets of MPT 81's I've not had a bad tire. The down side is they wear fast. Continental is releasing a new version later this year that early testing shows a 30% increase in tread life, so maybe an option in the future.
It sits on the ground. They jack the truck up and it spins the tire at high speed. Tire recappers have true shaver machines that can do 30.5-25s. Large enough to put the little 395s inside of the tire and bounce it around.

It's done often on dump and cement trucks that the outside edge of the 445s start to wear down compared to the rest of the tire due to lack of camber adjustment so they buff the tire down while on the truck. 445s are equal to 395s

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sits on the ground. They jack the truck up and it spins the tire at high speed. Tire recappers have true shaver machines that can do 30.5-25s. Large enough to put the little 395s inside of the tire and bounce it around.

It's done often on dump and cement trucks that the outside edge of the 445s start to wear down compared to the rest of the tire due to lack of camber adjustment so they buff the tire down while on the truck. 445s are equal to 395s
Interesting, still probably hard to come by in my area:)

Ronmar

Dyna Beads are ceramic, and the larger beads don't require filtered valve stems, but that doesn't mean they'll be safe with the CTIS system. Do you know the size of the orifice they need to stay out of? I'm assuming smaller that a airsoft ball, which I think is larger than the large Dyna Beads.
The CTIS system already has in-line filters on the tire side of the wheel valves... i know people who are running them without issue.

Because of the beadlock band I believe it would be very difficult for beads to fall/find their way into the hub mounted airpipe as it would act as a shield/roof if the tire happened to stop with the air pipe up, and with beads in a position above it to allow them to fall into the airpipe...

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CTIS system already has in-line filters on the tire side of the wheel valves... i know people who are running them without issue.

Because of the beadlock band I believe it would be very difficult for beads to fall/find their way into the hub mounted airpipe as it would act as a shield/roof if the tire happened to stop with the air pipe up, and with beads in a position above it to allow them to fall into the airpipe...
Thanks, since I have no experience with the CTIS system yet, I'm a little in the dark in understanding what you posted. I assume the filters are inboard of the pipe you mention and not on the end where it would prevent anything from entering it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks