• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why Doesn't My M35A2 Horn Work ?

Okay so update on horn. I got a 30amp inline fuse and ran a wire from positive on battery up column and soldered it into original wire to make it a constant hot. Once pressing the button fuse blew and smoke came from button assembly. Did I do something wrong? Any ideas?

pjwest03

The steering column and the horn button are used to provide a path to ground. The 24V feed should go to one side of the horn. The line from the column and button goes to the other terminal on the horn. Sounds like you connected the column to 24v. That would be just a dead short when you push the button.

mil

I wonder if 10-13 years later all the horn's (and other problems-except plan-demic) were resolved?
Or nobody writes any more. I had acquired, fraudulently, oh, criminally described bobbed M35A2.
Crawling through 1000s problems, I've finally managed to get pressurized air system working to
120psi, and heureka - still not done - registered opposite problem - the horn started (unpleasantly)
bleat, once the pressure built over 60psi - no didn't touch the horn switch, so switched engine off
and dashed to release air from the tanks, for bleating continued until no air. Removed horn switch
and for sure both el. connectors from horn solenoid. Started engine, build up air pressure and....
horn started to blast again anyway. Engine off, quick release air tanks to stop ever working horns.
(Also found major air leak from solenoid feeding elbow). Assumed "stuck" solenoid, removed and
re-tested on regular air compressor, yes. Hence, ordered a new solenoid and hoping for resolution-
maybe then will experience horn's total mis-function as previous entrants into this thread?

pjwest03

I haven't experienced a stuck open with the deuce horn solenoid. I had one that stuck closed. Tends to be a buildup of dirt or corrosion over the decades. I have seen solenoid valves in industrial machines with the problem you seem to have.

The main thing I've experienced in all old trucks is the wiring being corroded internally where you can't see it. The circuit will pass a continuity checks but can't carry enough current to operate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks