• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch and Bumper Project

rustystud

Well I got the plate today, and after getting it home tried to mount up the winch. Of course they got the holes wrong ! I could take it back and make them do it right. Of course that will take another 2 weeks ! Or I can just weld closed the holes and redrill it. At this time I'm thinking just weld it and drill it.

99nouns

Yeah, unfortunately fab shops have too much pride in their work, and unless they humble them selves for me to supervise the work, I dont even bother, unless I just want to pick a random fight...

Last edited:

rustystud

003.jpg002.jpg001.jpg005.jpg006.jpg009.jpg

I need to weld up the one hole on both sides, then drill out the correct holes. I'll leave the one set of holes. The top holes need to be elongated also. At least I found my rubber bumpers ! They will get mounted inline with the frame so if I ever need to push someone I won't ruin there vehicle and my bumper.

goldneagle

That was not a complex project. Can't believe they messed up such an easy order. That piece could have been done at home with 2 pieces of angle and a flat sheet with the rectangle and holes cut and drilled. You should ask for a partial refund for the mess up.

Installing the plate on the inside of the bumpers is an interesting idea! My only concern is whether the cable will clear the face of the bumper if you pulled it at an extreme angle? In other words will the rollers protrude far enough forward to clear the face of the bumpers.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

006.jpg
That was not a complex project. Can't believe they messed up such an easy order. That piece could have been done at home with 2 pieces of angle and a flat sheet with the rectangle and holes cut and drilled. You should ask for a partial refund for the mess up.

Installing the plate on the inside of the bumpers is an interesting idea! My only concern is whether the cable will clear the face of the bumper if you pulled it at an extreme angle? In other words will the rollers protrude far enough forward to clear the face of the bumpers.
I wish I didn't have them drill out the holes ! I welded them up today and ground them down. After redrilling in the correct spot I put it on the winch and it looks great ! I still need to weld up the schedule 80 pipe that I'm using as standoffs, then some paint and it's done ! As far as the roller fairlead goes, I think it will work fine. The only way it would be a problem is if I'm pulling straight up from the bottom of the truck which I don't intend to do.

tommys2patrick

I like the "Frenched" roller fairlead. Are you going with a military style chain lead on the end of the cable or make everything so it tucks up behind the bumper face when traveling?

AZK9

... After redrilling in the correct spot I put it on the winch and it looks great ! I still need to weld up the schedule 80 pipe that I'm using as standoffs, then some paint and it's done ! ...
Glad you've been able to get caught up on this project! The 'hole error' made by the shop was not 'cool',
but at least you had the means to correct the mistake. Can't wait to see a pic as soon as the paint is dry! [thumbzup]

rustystud

Glad you've been able to get caught up on this project! The 'hole error' made by the shop was not 'cool',
but at least you had the means to correct the mistake. Can't wait to see a pic as soon as the paint is dry! [thumbzup]
The misplaced holes was a pain, but I take partial blame. I should have "stressed" the measure points where from the inside of the bends not the outside. I thought my drawing was plain enough but alas it wasn't. They cut it out with a water jet machine, so everything was programed. I plan on using this company again as they do excellent work. They just need extremely accurate directions.

rustystud

I finished welding up the standoffs today, and got it painted. Of course another storm front is on it's way and it's already raining buckets now.
I'm debating about putting on the "D" rings I bought on the bumper. The stock shackle rings should be plenty strong. I haven't found any data on the strength of them though.

rustystud

001.jpg004.jpg006.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg012.jpg014.jpg

I got the plate primer painted and drilled out the holes in the bumper. I also installed the quick-disconnect to the winch and put on the rubber bumpers.
I need to buy some longer winch mount bolts. I want to take advantage of the full depth of threads in the winch since the top bolts will be behind the mounting plate and no longer accessible once it is installed.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 611824View attachment 611825View attachment 611826View attachment 611827View attachment 611828View attachment 611829View attachment 611830View attachment 611831

I got the plate primer painted and drilled out the holes in the bumper. I also installed the quick-disconnect to the winch and put on the rubber bumpers.
I need to buy some longer winch mount bolts. I want to take advantage of the full depth of threads in the winch since the top bolts will be behind the mounting plate and no longer accessible once it is installed.
Looking good RS!

rustystud

001.jpg013.jpg002.jpg004.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg011.jpg012.jpg014.jpg

The winch is finally installed !
The first picture shows the bumper height before installing the winch and plate. The second picture shows the bumper height after the install. No difference, 40" both times. I only had to take the winch out 5 times too ! The winch motor was hitting the frame extension on the lower left side and I had to grind out a 1/4" strip about 3" long. Not to bad. I had other mods where the item was installed and taken out over a dozen times before it was right.
All and all I think it turned out pretty good. Now I just need the winch electrical cable (ordered) and get that installed and I'm good to go.

rustystud

Shouldn't the control lever and wire housing be on top? (bottom is mounted to bumper plate)
This winch can be mounted in many configurations. If you look at the winch bottom you will see eight mounting holes. This allows the roller fairlead to be mounted either in the top or bottom position. The way I have it mounted the force of the line pull is directly against the front bumper so the mounting bolts never take any force. If you mount it with the winch bottom on a plate then the mounting bolts must take all the shear force of the winch in operation. That means only six 1/2" bolts going into aluminum are holding the force of 9 tons. Not what I would call ideal.

Another thing I was thinking about is if I buy another roller fairlead I can mount this on top and then I can use my winch to lift things using my towbar with leg extensions as a mobile crane.
There are many trucks doing this already with the factory winch.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I know the electric winch is easier to operate than the Garwood, but it just doesn't have as much cable. And what are you doing about the high amp draw Rusty? To really take advantage of that winch you could probably use a couple more batteries and a bigger ( like 200) amp alternator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks