• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch and Bumper Project

rustystud

010.jpg008.jpg

Here's my truck with my new Warn 36,000 Ibs Snatch Blocks. I took them both apart and cleaned up some rust and repainted them. The factory didn't paint the insides. I also drilled out the bottom support bolt for a 3/8" grade 8 bolt. They had a 5/16" bolt there. You can also see Warn uses a roller bearing in their blocks, and the housings are cast-steel.
Now I just need to get some more 3/8" "100" chain, and I'm set. I could go with some 1/2" "70" chain but I don't want the extra weight.

goldneagle

It took a lot of time searching through all the listings on a well known auction site but I got a smokin good deal on a NOS Warn 36,000 lb snatch block. Waiting for it's arrival.

rusty are you sure you got enough lights on the front of that truck? I count 12 lights in the picture. :roll:rofl

Last edited:

rustystud

It took a lot of time searching through all the listings on a well known auction site but I got a smokin good deal on a NOS Warn 36,000 lb snatch block. Waiting for it's arrival.

rusty are you sure you got enough lights on the front of that truck? I count 12 lights in the picture. :roll:rofl
You can never have enough ! LOL !!!
I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to mount the last 4 LED spot lights I bought. I also have lights on the back, now I need some more on the sides. I have difficulty seeing at night ever since I had cataract eye surgery. So when I go on the "Great Alaskan Expedition" I want to be able to see where I'm going ! Also if I need to do any road-side repairs I want some lights to see by. This is why I want the high output alternator. Before anyone asks about all that voltage going through the light switch, don't worry. I have all the lights including the headlamps going through relays and circuit breakers. The voltage going through the switch itself is only the amount needed to power the relays. The relays get their power straight from the batteries (of course going through the circuit breakers first) .

rustystud

I also got mine on eBay and like you said if you wait you can get some great deals. You have to be careful though, as there is some Chinese knock-offs out there. Parts of the Warn snatch block itself is made in China which adds to the confusion, but as long as there is the "WARN" name embossed on the part then it is OK.

goldneagle

You can never have enough ! LOL !!!
I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to mount the last 4 LED spot lights I bought. I also have lights on the back, now I need some more on the sides. I have difficulty seeing at night ever since I had cataract eye surgery. So when I go on the "Great Alaskan Expedition" I want to be able to see where I'm going ! Also if I need to do any road-side repairs I want some lights to see by. This is why I want the high output alternator. Before anyone asks about all that voltage going through the light switch, don't worry. I have all the lights including the headlamps going through relays and circuit breakers. The voltage going through the switch itself is only the amount needed to power the relays. The relays get their power straight from the batteries (of course going through the circuit breakers first) .
Have you tried any of the CIVI LED flood and spot lights available on AMAZON.COM. I have a bunch of the 27 watt spots and they are very bright! On my CUCV they are better than my OEM headlights. My friend Allen put those lights all around his M923 for the same reason you gave. Since they are only 27 watts each I didn't need to use a relay. I am feeding the dedicated circuit from the the new fuse panel I added to my trucks. Here is a shot of my back yard with the 2 LED 30 degree spots on. No other lighting.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

Have you tried any of the CIVI LED flood and spot lights available on AMAZON.COM. I have a bunch of the 27 watt spots and they are very bright! On my CUCV they are better than my OEM headlights. My friend Allen put those lights all around his M923 for the same reason you gave. Since they are only 27 watts each I didn't need to use a relay. I am feeding the dedicated circuit from the the new fuse panel I added to my trucks. Here is a shot of my back yard with the 2 LED 30 degree spots on. No other lighting.
No, I've never tried them. I bought the military ones. Those look nice and bright though ! Are they 24 volt ? Or are they the 12 or 24 volt capable ones ?
Also your up late ! Or you are up early ? I'm just waiting for my pain pills to kick in so I can get some sleep.

AZK9

... So when I go on the "Great Alaskan Expedition" I want to be able to see where I'm going ! ...
So... are you going to be organizing a convoy, or going solo? My wife and I want to do the deuce-trip up to Alaska (someday),
but first I've got to get this 'beast' out of NJ and then about 3000 miles home to Arizona! :)

I've also installed a ton of lights for many of the same reasons you've mentioned. All my time in Fire/Rescue has proven how
very valuable good lighting is when in a critical situation. You can't have too much! [thumbzup]

I remember reading a different thread (at some point) where you mentioned heading up Alaska way. Any timeframe set yet?
If you'd consider trying to put a group together... let me know!

goldneagle

No, I've never tried them. I bought the military ones. Those look nice and bright though ! Are they 24 volt ? Or are they the 12 or 24 volt capable ones ?
Also your up late ! Or you are up early ? I'm just waiting for my pain pills to kick in so I can get some sleep.
Yes they are 12 to 24 volts. They sell for $10 to $14 each. Can't beat the price. I have them on the 24 volt line. Tapped off the 24 volt bus on the firewall and inline fused. ye I got a bad sleep schedule right now. Need to get back to normal sleep time soon.

rustystud

So... are you going to be organizing a convoy, or going solo? My wife and I want to do the deuce-trip up to Alaska (someday),
but first I've got to get this 'beast' out of NJ and then about 3000 miles home to Arizona! :)

I've also installed a ton of lights for many of the same reasons you've mentioned. All my time in Fire/Rescue has proven how
very valuable good lighting is when in a critical situation. You can't have too much! [thumbzup]

I remember reading a different thread (at some point) where you mentioned heading up Alaska way. Any timeframe set yet?
If you'd consider trying to put a group together... let me know!
I would love to have a convoy going to Alaska ! Much safer for all involved and more fun ! I was planning on the 75th anniversary of the ALCAN Hiway in the summer of 2017. My father worked on it before enlisting in the war. I was raised on stories of how desolate and cold it was there and what they had to do just to survive let alone build the road. I have wanted to go there my whole life and now if everything goes my way I will be taking my son with me.

Last edited:

AZK9

I would love to have a convoy going to Alaska ! Much safer for all involved and more fun ! I was planning on the 75th anniversary of the ALCAN Hiway in the summer of 2017. My father worked on it before enlisting in the war. I was raised on stories of how desolate and cold it was there and what they had to do just to survive let alone build the road. I have wanted to go there my whole life and now if everything goes my way I will be taking my son with me.
Yes... you had mentioned that somewhere before. I looked back through some threads, but did not find it. Thanks for
re-sharing! That's an awesome plan! :smile:

So important for your son to learn... firsthand... about those who came before him. And... you'll be able to make real,
direct connections with the stories your dad related. You may even be able to include some 'unofficial' archaeological
experiences along the way.:cool:

We love meaningful travel adventures like that and since Alaska is one of the two remaining states we've not experienced,
it could become a goal which keeps us focused on continually improving the deuce. We will be building a major addition on
our house in the next year, but as long as I get it 'under-roof' and secure against potential bad guys... we could probably
take a break to explore Alaska.

So... 'Summer of 2017' might actually work well for us, especially if our deuce makes the upcoming trip to Arizona without
major troubles. :wink:

I'll mark it on our chart of future adventures and work to make it happen! [thumbzup]

rustystud

002.jpg004.jpg

I mounted the remote switch connector to a piece of aluminum angle and used the two winch mounting holes to secure it. I wanted to mount it over on the driver's side of the bumper. I drilled a 3/4" hole for my lights and other wiring but I could not get the connector apart without destroying it so this will have to do for now.
Eventually I want to put some aluminum diamond plate on the top of the whole bumper with an access hole for the winch.

Last edited:

goldneagle

View attachment 615096View attachment 615097

I mounted the remote switch connector to a piece of aluminum angle and used the two winch mounting holes to secure it. I wanted to mount it over on the driver's side of the bumper. I drilled a 3/4" hole for my lights and other wiring but I could not get the connector apart without destroying it so this will have to do for now.
Eventually I want to put some aluminum diamond plate on the top of the whole bumper with an access hole for the winch.
Why don't you Flip the angle the other direction and have the connector behind the winch and pointing towards the drivers side. It will keep the cord of the remote from accidentally getting caught in the winch.

rustystud

Why don't you Flip the angle the other direction and have the connector behind the winch and pointing towards the drivers side. It will keep the cord of the remote from accidentally getting caught in the winch.
That's just too easy ! Actually I never thought about it ! Tomorrow I will switch the bracket and see how it looks. I've been sick with the flu for the last week and a half and my brain is like mud right now ! My wife has been after me for actually going outside and doing anything on the truck or even the normal chores like feed the animals. Tonight it's pretty bad and she was on my case again saying "Great your truck comes first over your family. You'll die out there and leave me and your son all alone ! " I tried to tell her it helps me to move and do things but she doesn't listen.

Last edited:

goldneagle

That's just too easy ! Actually I never thought about it ! Tomorrow I will switch the bracket and see how it looks. I've been sick with the flu for the last week and a half and my brain is like mud right now ! My wife has been after me for actually going outside and doing anything on the truck or even the normal chores like feed the animals. Tonight it's pretty bad and she was on my case again saying "Great your truck comes first over your family. You'll die out there and leave me and your son all alone ! " I tried to tell her it helps me to move and do things but she doesn't listen.
My friend Allen put his plug pointing up. Since it has a cap it wont hurt.

rustystud

001.jpg003.jpg

I now remember why I didn't put the connector there. The remote plug will not fit due to the plastic housing (Pic. 1 ). I originally didn't like it mounted on the passenger side either, but after looking at it there I have changed my mind. A few hold-downs and it should be fine.

goldneagle

View attachment 615394View attachment 615395

I now remember why I didn't put the connector there. The remote plug will not fit due to the plastic housing (Pic. 1 ). I originally didn't like it mounted on the passenger side either, but after looking at it there I have changed my mind. A few hold-downs and it should be fine.

I would not be comfortable installing the cable in front of the reel. Still feel it would be in harms way. Suggestions: 1- Install a longer angle iron so it goes beyond the plastic housing. 2- If you run the angle longer (past the plastic housing) and point the connector up (like my friend Allen did) The cap will keep water from getting into the connector.

These are just suggestions. Your truck....your way... :goodjob:

rustystud

018.jpg015.jpg

I just realized today that I never showed where I finally mounted the winches switch connector. So here it is. Later on I plan on installing some 3/8" diamond plate over the winch area, using the winches top mounting holes to secure it. It will also have a 3" hole where the connector is to allow me to connect the switch cable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks