• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch problems

builderboy

Ok, here's the story. Bought a 923a with the hydraulics already on the truck. Got a winch from Glen out at BFR metals in salina. Installed the winch and hooked everything up. Before I even turned a tap I tried to ready the TM's from front to back about winches', winch maintenance, etc. I also replace the hydro. fluid and filter. then I lubed up everything moving component I could find. and I made sure the cables worked. ( what a bi%$h that was!!) I checked my Tranny fluid and did everything I could think of. The big day came. Had a couple buddies over to help. I was ready to test the winch !! And I have nothing !! So after more checking more reading, and more looking at SS I'm stumped to say the least.

I am full of Hyrdo and tranny fluid. For some reason the PTO isn't spinning. I can turn the shaft that is coming out of the pump with my hand. But when I engage the pump. ( And I have taken the cable off and can turn the lever by hand) I can't get the pump to spin. I checked my tranny fluid and it's full also?

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next?

thank you !!:-?:-?

Csm Davis

So with truck running and you moving the pto lever by hand it makes no sounds like it is trying to engage? Also which truck do you have 923 a0, a1, a2?

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Pull the pump, make sure the coupling is there, on the Marine trucks, I would think the coupling would be pulled so the pump CAN NOT be operated because there is no place for the pressure to go, this WILL burn up the pump.

Csm Davis

Great idea Ron I am leaning that way also but his setup has a small drive shaft and it isn't spinning when he is engaging the pto. I am not sure but maybe they (USMC) installed a spacer to keep the gears from engaging?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Great idea Ron I am leaning that way also but his setup has a small drive shaft and it isn't spinning when he is engaging the pto. I am not sure but maybe they (USMC) installed a spacer to keep the gears from engaging?
I am guessing more of a "ENGAGEMENT STOP" where the engagement lever CAN NOT do the full travel to engage, could be as simple as a adjustment bolt

After looking at tm 9-2320-22-24p-2, I see that the control cables ARE adajustable, I am guessing the the cables are just backed out so the pto CAN NOT be engaged.

Last edited:

builderboy

I have alrady disconnected the control cables and am running everything by hand. And still nothing. forget to say that yes.. it is a usmc truck. So you thing pulling the pump and checking for a " spacer" might be the route to go? I will work on that today. Thanks to everyone for helping. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

builderboy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are following the TM instructions correctly, right?

TM 9-2320-272-10

(1)
Start engine (para. 2-12).

(2)
Release hinged latch (10) and pull clutch lever (11) as far back as it will go.

(3)
On vehicles with level wind device (9), pull out lock knob (13) and tensioner

lever (12) back. Align lock knob (13) with hole in housing and release.

(4)
Press lockout switch (18) and shift transfer case shift lever (17) into high

range.

Ensure each layer of cable winds evenly, if not equipped with

level wind.

(5)
With parking brake applied, place transmission selector lever (2) in 1-5

(drive) and pull transmission power takeoff control lever (3) back to ENGAGE. Return

transmission selector lever (2) to N (neutral).

(6)
Pull front winch control lever (4) back to WIND and hold.

(7)
Winding speed and pulling capacity of winch is regulated by engine rpm.

To increase, depress accelerator pedal (5) or adjust hand throttle control (1).

(8)
Release winch control lever (4) to stop winding.

Last edited:

builderboy

Yes, following the Tm's for operation. but I can't get the shaft to even spin. Going to look for spacer today. Basically I'm not getting any flow of fluid from the PTO is what appears to be happening. And yes I'm putting the truck in drive then engaging the pto then putting back into neutral. Still nothing.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BEFORE you pull things apart, LOOK for a lever stop, there is going to be something SIMPLE to prevent the pto from engaging and burning up the pump, does not make sence for a major take-apart to prevent engagement, take the back cover off the pto and have a look.

Last edited:

builderboy

:-Djust looked at the pto... I'm with you 819 I'll pull that back cover off and check for some kinda stop or something easy.. pulling the pump looks like a total b%^H of a job. very tight quarters to work with.

Thanks !!

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It WILL NOT have anything to do with the pump, it is a pto NON-engagament issue, with the engine OFF, with the pto cover off, check the movement of the sliding gear, see what is STOPPING it from sliding all the way to engagement.

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What did you find so other Marine m925 owners will know what to look for ?????

builderboy

ok... went and took the plate off that faces the font of the truck that is one the PTO. had to remove two bolts that hold the tranny dipstick in place along with the bracket that holds the linkage for the PTO lever. It is just a race for the bearing that is on the end of the shaft that exits the PTO. Total waste of time. But at least I repaired the biggest leak on the tranny.. actually the only leak now that I think about it.

Then I removed the top plate that holds the linkage lever to the PTO. What a total B&*CH!!! couldn't get the plate off totally( shifting fork still inside of PTO) then reasambled everything.. again total suck !! Once everyting was put back together I filled tranny to correct level. Went through the steps I have done multiple times already and WAMBOO !! shaft was spinning !!! Happy times.

The only thing that appears to be different is that I left a quarter inch screw out that goes into a little brass nut . Just next to the PTO shift lever on the PTO itself. It couldn't have done anything.. it was to short.

Anyway shaft is spinning coming out of the PTO... now tommorrow with soldier B we will try operating the winch.

Thanks to all for the help

Builderboy

builderboy

It was next to the PTO lever... short little flat head... about a quarter of an inch long. had to clean all the crap out to even find it little thing!!

Triple C

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a question. Can you hear it when the pto is engaged? I have a 925 and the cable to the engaging lever was disconnected. I connected it and tried to use the winch but got nothing. I followed the Tm but I don't think the clutch is in the correct position. I can't get it to move at all. The lever is at about a 45 degree angle, the stop drops behind the lever so I assume it should move up with the stop out of the way. I found a good thread when I searched about taking the clutch cover off and cleaning it but I don't want to get in deeper than I have to. Just wondering if I should hear anything if the pto was engaged and the drum was not in gear?

builderboy

:jumpin:What I learned is that you can not.. .and I mean can not engage the pto unless the transmission is in any gear buy neutral... make sure the selector is in 1-5.. then engage the lever on the PTO either manually or using the selector in the cab.. I haven't even got to acutally get my winch to work yet. Just got the PTO shaft to spin tonight!! Maybe more good new this week. It's such a long process to get these MV's to a 100% ... but it's fun when they are !!:cool:

builderboy

and sorry ... yes you can hear it when the PTO is actually engaged. it's not very loud but I had the floor access panel open when I was doing all my testing tonight.