• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

winch problems

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am actually a pretty pleasant person to be around. In fact, sunshine and happiness just follow me around in a big cloud.
I agree with every thing else you said, BUT this is just STRETCHINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG it a bit, gag

Clinto needs to change his user name to MR. SUNSHINE

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just read that whole section of the TM 9-8024. Nowhere does it say to engage the PTO, then operate the outside drum engagement lever(in or out) while winching.

paragraphs 313 to 322 page 561 of that TM is the description and data for the winch, NOT the operation procedure.

All through out paragraphs 331-322, it references paragraph 49 for proper operation of the PTO and winch.

Proper Gasser winch operation is listed in paragraph 49 on page 74. TM 9-8024

It does say that during cable windup after a winching operation(not under load), you can engage/dissengage outside. There is a warning that it will not dissengage if it becomes tensioned. remember, this was the 1950's

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1984?

This year alone, I probably used my winch 50 times or more.

And several of those times it was what I would call a "technical situation" that required finesse.

nice i wondered, ( i got the deuce in 84 and i should say my dad was in the army so that helped with the learning)i used mine to winch out firewood 25 to 50 cords a year for 20 years , 3 cords a load 10 drags or so per load probly 1800 to 2000 times i pulled that damm cable out.. sometimes close but sometimes 200 ft or more plus frends stuck tractors and trucks wore out 2 rolls of cable and on my third. i grew up using the old cable dozer d8 and ran the 619 cable scrapers for road building. used screeming jimmy winch trucks to put oilfield pump shacks together and assorted other winch jobs. its nice to have ppl on here to help newbies . i guess it just burns everybody to be talked down to .

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Does anybody know wht the winch popped out of gear? I think that was the original point...
If it poped out at the winch, I would guess that it was not in all the way, maybe dog is damaged, or something keeping it from engaging all the way, every time it is forced out, the dog is damaged more, could also be a worn shift fork which also tears up every time it is forced out

Last edited:

whyme

the dog components are cast and though they are quite beefy i can see how they would be easily damaged through miss use over time (and quite frankly these trucks weren't always treated with due care while in service). engaged all the way its definitely not the weak link in the system but its simplistic design leaves it vulnerable. if the shaft was rusted (as mine was) its possible the dog clutch collar never seated in all the way even though the lever felt positively engaged. the increased stress on the surfaces could cause them to deform or shear and push the collar back out disengaging the clutch under load.

i would say inspect the internals to ensure they are in good order.

Green Dog

Finally some decent replies to my simple question. I know cable safety as I have run friction cranes on my job sites when operators weren't available (i'm 53 and run about everything out there). Yes the "dogs" were worn and a friend who owns a welding shop is resurfacing them for me.