• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wipers... will not return

84cucv1ton

just got the truck back on the road.. worked fine in the rain last night all of a sudden. no return.. never had this happen before.. still work on hi and low..

any ideas thanks?

twa@ezdn.net

I have the same problem, now I have to time turning them off. I have had bigger fish to fry so I have done nothing about it yet, this thread may change that...

wikallen

I believe the park switch is inside the wiper motor. Replace the motor and they should park again.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By "return" I assume you mean "park". Happened to me. If I recall, I just swapped the motor from a junker. It's an easy swap.

Jersey4x4

Usualy it is the ground strap the loses contact and causes the motor not to park. Check the flat metal strap on the motor for contact, use a jumper wire as a tester.

just got the truck back on the road.. worked fine in the rain last night all of a sudden. no return.. never had this happen before.. still work on hi and low..

any ideas thanks?

coecamo

Park switch connector could be corroded some. 2 wire black/white andwhite wire connector look for corrosion on wiper motor pins unplug and reseat connector severat times canfix problem Gary

SPCHowe

Just replaced the wiper motor last night, didn't even know my truck had the "non parking" wiper problem until now....time to get the tools out! This site is great! It's helping me fix problems I didn't even know I had :D

combatmech

After reading this thread, I have the same problem. Thanks guys..... The truck has done it since I bought it last year and didn't give it a second thought. Guess I was thankful that they worked.
Thanks again guys!!!
[thumbzup] :beer:

steved454

:funny: I was reading all these posts then decided to go out and check mine. LOL mine is not working either was the ground wire. Now it parks!!!!!!

That is not right fixing problems I did not know I had!!!

combatmech

I tried the cleaning the plug on the motor thing. No joy.... It was really dirty, I might try once more. Had been planning on R&Ring the wiper motor anyway. The whole thing is pretty crusty.
I figured it was one of those " it's supposed to work like that " things. Thanks for starting this thread!!!![thumbzup]

Last edited:

tbearatkin

my wipers work the correct way however the washer continues to pump as long as the wipers are on. Cleaned all the connections but no good. I am thinking it is in the steering column (hope not)

idM1028

my wipers work the correct way however the washer continues to pump as long as the wipers are on. Cleaned all the connections but no good. I am thinking it is in the steering column (hope not)
I've noticed something like this on mine. When I want washers I push the little tab forward and pull it back to shut them off. Also trips the wipers at the same time (which is probably how its supposed to work), I just shut them off after the washers.

Jersey4x4

The wiper motor used on the CUCV is the old school motor used in the 70s civy trucks and cars and has a plunger built in and is a mechanical wiper washer pump so it only squirts fluid if the wipers are moving and it also is not fixable when it fails and the motor is also weak and can only run 15" blades. I am a Chevy C/K truck nut so I did some research and swapped in the newer motor with electric washer pump and delay and it plugs right in and mounts exactly perfect with no mods to anything. As for the washer pump with this, I got a washer bottle with pump and part of the harness from the yard and wired in to the old style plug(Color code matched) and now I have 18" blades which are great, electric pisser pump, delay wipers, and no sluggish moving blades. If you were to look at it is is exactly like the old one for aesthetics since it uses all OEM parts just from a Silverado package 85 chevy truck.

I've noticed something like this on mine. When I want washers I push the little tab forward and pull it back to shut them off. Also trips the wipers at the same time (which is probably how its supposed to work), I just shut them off after the washers.

idM1028

Can you run 18" blades with the size of the window? Maybe it just the way my wiper arms sit, but mine had 15" blades on it when I got it. I figured I could run a little bit bigger blade so I moved up to a 16" when I replaced them. I really can't tell any difference in speed. I think if I was to go to anything bigger than 16" the blades would smack the weatherstripping.