• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wobble while turning at highway speeds

Jinx

Noob question here, so excuse me if this is an ignorant post. I have got to learn about these trucks somehow.

My M35A2 was delivered to my job site on Thursday via flatbed. It was in 6x6 low range when it was backed off the trailer. I put the truck in neutral, flipped off the air shift front axle and pulled the range lever to high. There were no problems when I pulled the truck over to it's parking spot and inspected the fluids and air the tires.

Later that day, I drove it approximately 32 miles home. Mostly at highway speeds. 50-59 miles an hour. (I know not to exceed 56, but it just sort of happened.) Here's my problem. Right around 55 mph, the truck tends to wobble from side to side any time I turn the wheel to follow a bend in the road. The truck drives perfectly in a straight line, but when I turn, it shakes left to right. Anyone know what could cause this? Is it normal?

The truck doesn't pull when moving in a straight line. Maybe the fact their are 8 tires moving the truck forward, and only two in the front trying to turn are causing the front tires to hop a bit while turning.

Jinx

One thing I didn't check was the lug nuts before I drove the truck home. :oops:

On another note, there is a box under the drivers door that was padlocked when I got the truck. The day after I drove the truck home, my father cut off the lock and found a bunch of new tools inside. There's an 8-ton jack still in box, a new lug nut wrench still wrapped, new adjustable wrench, new air filler hose in a bag, some kind of decontamination bottle that looks kind of like a fire extinguisher with a CO2 cartridge on top, etc..

When I get home from work tonight, I will use the new lug wrench to tighten the lug nuts just to be sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

wvhillbilly

Keep Decon Bottle!!!!!

That decon bottle is VERY collectible. Mount it in your truck to the left of the drivers seat. (Std. mounting position.) Also, if that charging canister is OD green, it IS NOT CO2, rather it is Nitrogen. You don't see many of these apparatus in M35A2's. The NSN# is 4230-00-720-1618. If It came in the box,
DO NOT DISCARD.

Jinx

I opened the box to see what it was, but put it right back when I saw the CO2 style cartridges. It has two of these cartridges. One is already primed on the canister, the other is strapped to the mounting bracket. (They are both OD green)

I will check the NSN# tonight. Thanks for the info wvhillbilly.

Jinx

Okay. I will double check it tonight. I had aired up all the tires to 50 PSI before I left. (They were all at 20-30PSI) Maybe one isn't holding air...

oilcan

Jack up a wheel and try to move the top of it in and out. If it wobbles at all, it's time to pull the hub and visually inspect the bearings and races.

Click on the recources tab at the top of the page and go through the tm's. It's a good idea to download every one that pertains to your truck, because you'll need 'em for stuff like this.

Jinx

Jack up a wheel and try to move the top of it in and out. If it wobbles at all, it's time to pull the hub and visually inspect the bearings and races.

Click on the recources tab at the top of the page and go through the tm's. It's a good idea to download every one that pertains to your truck, because you'll need 'em for stuff like this.
Good advice. I will check this tomorrow. Looks like I get to use my new 8-ton jack. :-D

usmc deuce cpl

Finally got your truck. Good luck. We will have to get togather sometime with al the other owners.
If you need any help i know a little bit about heavy truck maintenance and am willing to give a hand.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Decon for Chem Warfare for handles ,steering wheels etc. Theres alot out there from what I have been seeing. Bet theres something about them in a TM or FM somewhere someplace.

Jinx

Hey Jinx, what did shipping cost you and what shipper did you go with?
I found a shipping company through Uship.com. They charged $1100 to move the truck 860 miles. I could have had it done for $800, but it would have taken several more weeks to ship. The shipper's name on Uship is Easytrucking4u. I was quite happy with their shipping. They picked up the truck within just a few days of arranging shipping and had the truck delivered within two days. There was a bit of confusion with the unloading of my deuce since the truck driver didn't know how to work it. I wound up driving it off the flatbed myself.

mo-mudder

I know on smaller trucks with dana 60 front axles, when the king pin bearings or ball joints start to go south, it can cause a similar situation (ask any old Ford-er about 'death wobble'). Are the knuckles on these rockwell axles help to the axle via king pins, and might they be the culprit?

Jinx

It's pouring down rain at my house today. Grr. I wanted to work on the deuce during my time off. I will recheck the tire pressure, tighten lug nuts and check the tie-rods. Beyond that, it will probably go to a truck shop for a professional diagnosis. Hopefully it isn't anything serious. The truck drives great other than the weird wobble while turning on on the highway.