• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won an M1083A1 - 1900 mile recovery trip soon! (ND to CA)

dxhend2

Thanks for all the assistance tonight. One more post - some pictures of the good times when we were rolling through Montana and Utah. My wife was having a blast driving it - really enjoyed it. Second photo is the amber LED warning lights for night driving. Last shot is at a lunch stop (idling...) with some beautiful Utah mountains in the background. Pressing on!

smIMAG5886.jpgsmIMAG5896.jpgsmIMAG5903.jpg

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://bustekhub.com/index.php/2016/10/08/allison-wtec-iii-gen-4-5-hardware-differences/

That site has really good Allison version ID info. Dan mentioned his truck is 2007. Gen 5 apparently came out later. If Allison is called they might need that info.

Looks like gen 4. Has the mode light but gen 5 does not have mode tight.

Dan, looking back several days, that picture with 4 volts in red circle could be important clue. With failure back, is that point at low voltage again? You said it was supposed to be 12v? If so then tracking the source could find the gremlin that's killing the voltage.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think it all comes down to a low voltage/power issue. Replace the bad lbcd and you need to check all connections again. Batts, panel alternator.

dxhend2

Bob, we checked that voltage in the connector again, reading 25v.
http://bustekhub.com/index.php/2016/10/08/allison-wtec-iii-gen-4-5-hardware-differences/

That site has really good Allison version ID info. Dan mentioned his truck is 2007. Gen 5 apparently came out later. If Allison is called they might need that info.

Looks like gen 4. Has the mode light but gen 5 does not have mode tight.

Dan, looking back several days, that picture with 4 volts in red circle could be important clue. With failure back, is that point at low voltage again? You said it was supposed to be 12v? If so then tracking the source could find the gremlin that's killing the voltage.
Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the polarity box is bad you need to replace it. Its involved with charging regulation on that truck. Bypassing it is only a temporary fix. If you want to leave it bypassed and just make the system charge you can run a temporary 24v to the alt regulator 24v terminal and disconnect the ac lead.

dxhend2

Got a tech on site to check out the Allison.

Allison tech found that the output speed sensor (OSS) was shot. From the error codes we were researching, plus the non-functioning speedometer, that seems to make sense. Part is on order, earliest arrival in 48 hours. He was not able to get communications with the transmission control module (TCM), using his diagnostics tester plugged into the test port by the driver's knee. We'll keep pursuing that issue; I'd feel better about getting a full diagnostics read on this transmission.

Starting issue appears to have been a relay issue. Neutral Start relay was non-functioning. Swapped out another into that slot, and it got noticeably hot. Could be an issue of 12v coil relays getting mixed in where 24v coils are required. Hopefully that issue is closed.

Had an air leak in CTIS, air system couldn't maintain pressure. Found a threaded connector on a line under the cab had vibrated completely loose; repaired and holding pressure.

Was able to start it, locked in 2ND gear, and slowly moved it next-door to the hotel parking lot. It's in a clear and safe area to work on it, and the Allison tech said he could definitely do the replacement of the speed sensor in the parking lot.

We're safe back in the hotel we were in last night. Plan for today is to make arrangements for our change in plans, and get caught up with communications with everyone. Tomorrow, we'll explore Salt Lake City while waiting for parts.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The relay should not get noticeably hot. The underside of the power panel cover may have a diagram of relays and breakers. The trans goes from neutral into 2nd. 1st is low range.

dxhend2

Replaced output speed sensor, corrected problem, ready to roll. Will stop around St. George, UT for short overnight, again with engine to. Should be home tomorrow afternoon. Will post updates.

dxhend2

Thanks, Bob, I'm a blessed husband and father. Great team, it's been really good for us. Just stopped for the night in North Las Vegas, passing on the strip this time. Truck will stay idling during a short night as we take turns in it and a hotel room. Final stretch tomorrow through heaviest traffic yet (Barstow, Riverside, on down to Vista, CA). Truck is running great, temps, pressures and fluids all good.
You have an awesome family to handle this type of trip. Best of luck on the last 700 miles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks