• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won an M1083A1 - 1900 mile recovery trip soon! (ND to CA)

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Is the polarity box still bypassed? Both voltages? You can try unplugging the military connector from it. See if you can pull up any codes from the trans keypad. If you have power to the engine electronics you can try to crank from the engine bay switches.

dxhend2

Thanks suprman, yes, the LBCD is still bypassed, both 12 and 24v sides. Will try unplugging and replacing the military connector. Then retrace our exact steps we did the other day. Be right back.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not saying this is the answer but if signs point to a defunct push button controller I just had one rebuilt for my A1. I could over night it to you to get you home. Let me know, offer stands.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Voltage too low!! <- Retract that, voltage is OK with alternator not outputting.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They have wtec5 probably. Unhappy trans can inhibit crank. Bad lbcd can cause improper batter charging. Trans issue will usually have a code on the keypad. If you have power to all electronics with dash switch you can jump the starter. But it may start in gear so be careful.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't the latest partial power up and NN on the transmission indicate the transmission is happy again? If there were still transmission faults with power to transmission back on, wouldn't those faults cause a display other than NN? I know that when my transmission went wonky, as Dan mentioned, the transmission would not come back to NN. It would not shift out of the "stuck" transmission gear indicated. BTW, the fault with my WTECII transmission was a disconnected connector from the backside of the keypad (probably not applicable to WTECIII which is different?).

Dan, the failure to power the starter sure sounds like your original problem rearing it's head again. Doesn't it?

Playing devils advocate, what if bypassing the LBCD back in ND was not the real fix. What if the truck just decided to start that one time during the various tests and bypasses you did. No doubt the transmission faulted there in SLC, you had a code, right? but the NN might mean the transmission has cleared it's fault (after power cycle) and now you are looking back at the original problem?

I truly hope this is not the old power problem back again (meaning that bypassing the LBCD was not the cure). but, you don't want to chase a transmission problem that does not exist.

Please, Suprman, others comments?

Bob

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The trans can still come up in neutral and have a stored code from a previous incident. If the truck was stuck in a gear Ans speed went up or down out of that gears range, and it didn’t shift then a code as to why should have been stored. The wtec5 module is under the passenger dash. The military got rid of this truck because it has gremlins. Unfortunately the tm dosnt have a troubleshooting section for intermittent problems. Ther could be a loose connection somewhere or a wire rubbing thru against something.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about pull codes on transmission? Press up and down key at the same time and report back.

dxhend2

Still have power to the dash, tried jumping across the starter solenoid with a screwdriver, got an arc but not hing from the starter motor.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Codes mostly related to voltage issues in TCM. Do you have a way to google the codes? I think the WTEC is inhibiting crank because it feels really sick.

dxhend2

NDT, that could explain current behavior, googling codes now. Will also look for Allison support here in SLC if we need to go that route.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
P0880
Disappearance of power supply control unit during operation
engine
P2685
Low voltage in the circuit HSD3

P2812
Open circuit solenoid PCS6
Incl.
DNS, SOL OFF
ON.
DNS, SOL OFF

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would re-seat all the connectors related to the Allison. Behind the dash, the one at the left front of the engine under the cab, and the ones at the transmission. Look for chafing on the harness.

dxhend2

The P0721 (most recent error code) is interesting. Found several references saying that it's related to shaft speed sensor signal. Starting with the sensor module itself, other downstream problems could be wiring issues, etc. before it gets to the TCM. Sounds like this kind of error could be a "start veto" that would keep the starter from engaging. Another key symptom noted on several sites - could be loss of speedometer!!!, which has been our case since we've been running (we've been using my phone with a GPS speedometer app, duct taped to the dashboard, to give a large digital speed display). Speedometer has never worked since we picked up the truck. Seems like several symptoms, and all of your deductions, are pointing us in this direction.

We're safe for the night, shutdown in a parking lot a block from a hotel. Plan is to get back online and research more tonight, and be out here at first light to trace from that sensor downstream. If we need some professional help for hire, we're in the middle of Salt Lake City with more resources, and we have a better idea of what to focus on.

Thanks so much for everyone's help tonight, we really appreciate your prompt response and good ideas!! 700 miles to go...we can do this! Securing till daylight...

NV555

A1R should look like this.

Also I highly suggest Shan at Rocky Mountain trucks in Ogden. He is great with cats and Allison also owns a few MVs. If it comes down to going in for service.
F7336601-27A7-47E1-8392-935122F60092.jpg77C9AB59-7E48-4568-B37E-A31D20F28512.jpg49B1E54B-C687-4CCE-9040-F61F38D3CD72.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks