• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won an M1083A1 - 1900 mile recovery trip soon! (ND to CA)

dxhend2

It's running!!! Bypassed the LBCD (yep, shoulda done that yesterday...). After making the bypass, we reconnected all the batteries. As soon as we connected +24v, we heard the neutral start relay energize in the PDP - first sign of life up there in two days. Dash powered up just right, engine started right up very easily (boy, does it sound good).

Plan is the keep it running the entire time(!!) until we get home. We have three drivers (me, wife and son, good crew!) and will take it easy and cautiously.

Bound to have more problems along the way, will take it one at a time.

Thank you all for the tips, suggestions, and prayers. We'll keep at it! As the Navy SEALS say, "the only easy day was yesterday". We'll keep you posted, and thank you all again.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you know why Uncle excessed the truck. Nobody had days to spend chasing this issue. Should be fine now, you can operate it normally.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dan I cannot tell you how incredibly relieved I was when I got your text today that the truck was running and Mary Alice was in the pilots seat and you were headed down the road. I loved working maintenance on your truck Dan that is as nice as nice a truck as I have ever seen surplussed, pretty amazing. My wife and I are rootin for you and your family to continue westward hopefully with no more gremlins rearing their ugly head! Talk soon Dan
Karl

dxhend2

Karl, thanks again for all your help. We just stopped for a short night (with truck idling), taking shifts to have one of us in it at all times. Trip has been great today, crew of three as driver, Co-driver and navigator working well. More to follow...

dxhend2

Just settling in for a night stop in Dillon, MT. Making good time with three of us. Truck is again idling in the parking lot, and we're doing split shifts so that one of us is always with it.
The truck has been running great all day with no issues. We're getting more used to how it handles, and it's very enjoyable to drive (check back on that after two more days....).
We've been doing hourly checks and inspections, temps on all tires, hubs, differentials, etc. are tracking find. Tire pressure s are consistent, fluid levels good.
Originally we were planning on daylight running only, but with this new (and very good) requirement to keep it running, we are doing some night driving. Luckily I packed some amber LED warning lights in my large "just in case" bag, so we are clearly visible from the rear, possibly in the county we last transited.
The only anomaly so far is some fluid leakage around the transfer case (if I have the right name). Not much, and this truck was completely dry underneath and around the engine when we picked it up - not a drop of grease or oil showing. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

dxhend2

Just south of Pocatello, ID, going well. Good roads on I-90 & I-15. Except for a few construction zones with one lane each way, roads have been smooth sailing. Hit a couple of sections with 6% grade yesterday while still in Montana; no problem.

Stopping about every hour to stretch our legs and check temps and tire pressure, that keeps us all fresh and ready to drive.

Incredible sights out here. Haven't been in Idaho since 1984, good to see the area again - great views.

dxhend2

Need help!! Transmission is stuck in 4th gear, we are stopped. Left display digit on controls is dark, right is 4. We were driving in stop and go traffic on a freeway when we noticed left display digit was dark, then noticed it was not shifting out of 4th. Searching on internet, found recommendations to shut off engine and restart. Not sure we want to try that, unless we're confidant that bypassing the LBCD we did earlier will give us an engine restart. Any suggestions?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is it charging the batteries? Low battery voltage can cause the digital display for the transmission to go out but still be in gear or lock it self down in failsafe.

What is your location atm?

dxhend2

We're in Salt Lake City. Found a thread by tennmogger with identical symptoms, it was also raining here, also. Water in the WTEC could be an issue.

dxhend2

Went ahead and shut down because we can't leave it running in gear. Waited 10 minutes and attempted a restart. Dash came up as it should, trans controller displayed NN, tried starter button with no response, no relays activating in the PDP, although Neutral Start relay is energized as it should be. Reading 25v across the NATO plug. All batteries reading 12.6v (we're all at 12.4 during earlier checks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks