• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on motor, motor stopped turning!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No clue where it came from. I have hardware sitting all over the place. I have never heard the end of when Westy stopped by and I had fuel injectors sitting on the end table.

Isn't that standard "guy decor"?

I got the valves adjusted today, injectors back in, turbo and intake stuff back on. I have a few things to button up on the truck, then I need to fix the radiator's minor issues(its falling apart) then I should be ready to test fire it up.

gimpyrobb

So I got everything buttoned up today. I installed new batteries, fixed the radiator, and took care of a couple other things. When cranking over, she didn't start. I made sure the air was bled out of the fuel system and tried again.
Sometimes I've worked on deuces and they needed a whiff of starting fluid to get them going, so I gave her a puff. She fired and died again. I called in assistance to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Next inspection was to pull the plug in the center of the hydraulic head to make sure fuel was getting there, yup! Next I cracked the injector lines at the injectors to bleed the air out of the lines. I NEVER have had to do this before. Once everything was verified and tightened back up I turned it over and no start STILL! With another whiff of starting fluid, she came to life!

She idled kinda fast, but it sounded good, no hunting or missing. I shut it down and tried to start her back up, no joy.

I am at a loss at whats going on. It spins over fine, I know a diesel spinning slow will not start easily. It has fuel and air, what else? It got dark and I decided to let it rest while I think it over.

THIS SUCKS.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had hard starting trucks that were fixed with a simple turn of the fuel rate screw. Worth a try.

gimpyrobb

Fuel line and timing are good. I need to look into the idle speed, might as well try he fuel screw.

I didn't mention this has hydraulic fluid in the (fuel)tank. I might try to drain it and run some pump diesel to see if that helps.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it may be worth while to confirm IP timing again.

They will run with the timing off, but not start with it off.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A new IP may very well not have the low speed fuel set. (Idle screw)
This is generally a field adjustment.
Use the throttle lock, say 3 clicks and try again. My LDS requires that to start, after 15 or 20 seconds she will settle down and idle just fine.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
well, regardless of the settings it should start if you hold the throttle open as on the floor which you should do anyway to assure max fuel. i know you know how to install one, but it is easy to verify you don't even have to take the valve cover off if you read the manual, cause i don't remember but there are valves you can see in the oil fill that assure #1 on compression TDC. however if it will start and run when you show it a can of ether, and run above a certain rpm but not below that is suspicious behaviour.

gimpyrobb

I know. I will be draining the fuel system tomorrow and checking the timing to see if I find anything.

Tom, I forgot I owe you some software. Please send your addy again, I had to "restore" my phone and don't have your addy anymore.

gimpyrobb

Well kids, it turned out to be the timing!
I had the red tooth visible when the advance unit was at its mark before I bolted it to the motor. Somehow it jumped out of time. I wonder if it was at the top of a spring stroke and it turned over while I was trying to install the ip.
Here is the motor at its mark:motor timing d.jpg

Here is the advance timing mark:motor timing c.jpg

Here is the gears of the Hyd head when I first checked:motor timing a.jpg

After I took the gear off the IP(3 bolts) I turned it till the red gear was showing, like this:motor timing b.jpg

If you don't take off the valve cover, you get a good look at the No.2 cyl valves. This is what they look like!motor timing e.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I gotta figure out how to turn its idle down from 1500rpm to 800.
Looking at the throttle shaft on the side of the IP, there are 2 adjustment screws(one on either side of the shaft), under the tin cover.

The idle adj is the one in front of the shaft.

It should be obvious, if you're not brain dead(when you look at it).

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
well as you know, when the mark in the window lines up, the ip does not want to sit there unless you hold it. glad it was all so simple, well some of it anyway!!
tom

gimpyrobb

well as you know, when the mark in the window lines up, the ip does not want to sit there unless you hold it. glad it was all so simple, well some of it anyway!!
tom
I'm REALLY glad I didn't have to empty the fuel system, I didn't realize every container I have has fuel in it!

It should be obvious, if you're not brain dead(when you look at it).
I are brain dead right now. I have NO time to get ready for my trip south!