• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There are a few regulators that will work on that alt. I have swapped similar looking regulators around on differebt model lmtv alts without issue. I will look monday and see if I have a regulator. A lot of them just sold out of okc this thursday but I was being cheap. I did get 5 complete 200a upgrade kits though so I semi redeemed myself.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok now I'm officially starting to be concerned that this was a parts vehicle. I guess until it starts and runs on it's own I'm going to remain concerned.

Suprman if you have one let me know the damage. I can only hope this is the last missing part.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It will be fine. Stuff gets scavenged off turn in vehicles all the time. No big deal its all small easily replaceable stuff. Hey you could always be this guy.
image.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok now I'm officially starting to be concerned that this was a parts vehicle. I guess until it starts and runs on it's own I'm going to remain concerned.

Suprman if you have one let me know the damage. I can only hope this is the last missing part.

I'm with Suprman, this girl will run tomorrow.

On a related note, you must have said your prayers or done a good deed or something. With the FMTVs, you darn well better check the cab for loose items before you raise it, or plan to buy a $600 windshield. So knowing this, I check your cab carefully before raising it. Both tool boxes, the MTS stuff, all secure. So I'm back at the control station raising the cab, about all the way up, and I hear a sickening "thud" from inside the cab. OMG. The middle seat was not bolted down, and it fell forward, BUT THE MTS BRACKET CAUGHT IT and saved the windshield!!!!!!

agazza2

Ok, battery box mystery item on mkcoen's truck. What is this thing?

AGM rejuvination report: back two batts 12 volts. Front right at 11.5. Front left still straggling at 6 volts, but doing it's best to catch up. Crank attempt tomorrow!
If you place this on your positive post the red LED should come on showing your batteries are good. Your also supposed to be able to put this in each battery cell and see if it is good by displaying a red LED. I read this in the -10 the other day.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter

On a related note, you must have said your prayers or done a good deed or something. With the FMTVs, you darn well better check the cab for loose items before you raise it, or plan to buy a $600 windshield. So knowing this, I check your cab carefully before raising it. Both tool boxes, the MTS stuff, all secure. So I'm back at the control station raising the cab, about all the way up, and I hear a sickening "thud" from inside the cab. OMG. The middle seat was not bolted down, and it fell forward, BUT THE MTS BRACKET CAUGHT IT and saved the windshield!!!!!!

Karma is a beautiful thing :)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be fine. Stuff gets scavenged off turn in vehicles all the time. No big deal its all small easily replaceable stuff. Hey you could always be this guy.
View attachment 620466
That's just someone with more money than sense. I haven't been accused of having either but at least I'm limited in spending money.

I'll take your word for it.

TexAndy

Wouldn't worry about it too much, yet. My 923a2 was missing an alternator entirely. Ran and drove fine, once it had the belt and alternator and fluids.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well folks I'm having to eat a little crow here. I did not have much time to devote to this today, and here is how far I got: (again thanks to Suprman for assistance this morning with diagnostics) Vehicle powers up fine, everything works fine lighting and accessory wise. What is not powering up is the WTEC keypad. The CB 43 and 79 circuit breakers for WTEC have power in and out. That is as far as I got. As you know, WTEC has to be happy to allow the engine to crank, at the moment, WTEC is sleeping. I did not have the TM on hand, now I have reviewed the "WTEC TPSS does not illuminate" fault 40 troubleshooting guide, and will be back at it tomorrow. Hopefully it's just the connector came loose.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate all the effort and think you've gone above and beyond with it. I'm probably headed to Hooks tomorrow (if I can get a Tue appointment) to grab the tires and if you're tired of tinkering with it can try and arrange to get it moved out of your way. I think we both figured this was going to be a relatively quick fix and don't want to monopolize your time.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having the time of my life working on this. So far my truck has only had hydraulic problems, now I am getting direct experience with electrical problems.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having the time of my life working on this. So far my truck has only had hydraulic problems, now I am getting direct experience with electrical problems.
In that case Mark you may want to charge him for the opportunity. :D

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In that case Mark you may want to charge him for the opportunity. :D
I can just open the opportunity to all. When do you want to come over? :)

So I needed to clear the trailer to head up and get the other tires. I don't have a tractor and didn't think the engine hoist would do all that well so I just moved the trailer to edge of the driveway (away from the house, other vehicles, dogs, etc) then my brother (who's visiting from WA) and I pushed them off the stack over the side of the trailer one at a time. The first 2 stacked just like they were on the trailer so it was easy to roll #2 upright and up the driveway but #1 was a little more difficult to get up on it's side. We finally managed and then got a nice surprise when I found out #3 and #4 have the wheel protectors on them. Now I have half a set with no shipping involved.

Unfortunately tire #1 has a large nail sticking out of it. I can't tell if it's going into the tire or just the tread. I'll need to try and remove it later but not too interested in it now. #2 has 2 screws coming out, again unknown if into the interior of the tire or just the tread.

I also forgot that these were runflat tires since they came off of the Caimans. Anyone know what that adds to the weight of the wheel/tire? It was pretty tough going for 2 old fat guys.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 3 caiman I got I estimated the run flats were close to 100lb each.

I did not weigh but that is what the remains of my back told me.....

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got 3 stacks of new tires today at Hooks. Unfortunately they were mixed sets but I got 11
Goodyears and 1 Michelin. At least I have plenty of spares.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks