• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone looks at the Michelins and thinks of the older style Michelins with the same style tread pattern on the M939 trucks, which are outright dangerous to drive on. But the ones on the lmtvs are newer and even though they look the same I dont think they are bad to use. They are a bit more aggressive on the road compared to the Goodyears though.
My biggest concern is wet pavement. Most of my driving will be on road so I'd like to have as much rubber in contact (without hydroplaning of course) as possible. NDT said the mud boggers down here all love the XMLs so I shouldn't have too much problem getting rid of the extras.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
When I first got the truck that I drive it had the Michelins they were fine on wet pavement. It may be different if you are working the truck with a load in it. In other news did you know with a little foot pressure the windshield comes right out. Seal and all.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In other news did you know with a little foot pressure the windshield comes right out. Seal and all.
Better than a little head pressure from hitting the windshield when the latch doesn't hold. Hopefully you were trying to take the windshield out.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yes I had seen a vid of someone sleeping in a cab when folded they ended up on the ground on the windshield. I am stripping a truck I thought it would be hard to get the windshield out but it was nothing to it.

aleigh

After having put my LMTV sideways (while towing) already I'll opine the tires are the least of your problems. The air brakes, weight distribution, and who knows?? if my rear brake propro cargo valve is working properly are the things to look at. Here's my big piece of advice, a whatever runs into the road, you hit it. The biggest thing is just the reflex training - you mash that peddle, especially empty, and you are instantly going for a ride. It likes to spin, or mine does anyways. I am on the goodyears. I've had the truck long enough now I came into a situation recently in the rain and did not do anything stupid with the brakes - so it's training training training. Practice panic stops under safe conditions and try to develop a sense and muscle memory for it. My 2 cents anyways. Stay safe.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After having put my LMTV sideways (while towing) already I'll opine the tires are the least of your problems. The air brakes, weight distribution, and who knows?? if my rear brake propro cargo valve is working properly are the things to look at. Here's my big piece of advice, a whatever runs into the road, you hit it.
As a former claims adjuster I always tell people to keep driving if an animal runs out in front of you. You hit that and it's a Comp claim (usually lower deductible and no points). If you swerve to miss you're more likely to have a major crash and if there was no contact with the animal then it's a Collision whether there was an animal there or not. You can tell the adjuster that you swerved to miss a deer but if there's no hair there's no proof. The only exception is if you're on a motorcycle. Then it's a life or death situation so avoid anything.

I'm going to be going slow and steady until I get quite a few hours in this truck. I've never driven a cabover so I'm sure there's a bit of a learning curve. I'm okay with the air brakes having had a M923A2 it's just the difference in weight and the driver's position that I need to get comfortable with. I also think that the ride should be a little smoother with the MV/Ts compared to the XMLs so maybe I can get a better feel for the truck without it being quite so bumpy of a ride.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The turning takes a few minutes to get used to. The front wheels are so far forward it turns very easily. Going from driving the m923a2 you have to wait a bit more before starting to turn or you will be taking out curbs. The lmtv air brakes feel more responsive, less delay than the m939 air brakes. Air compressor is a dual piston it builds air up quick. Better mirrors or a reverse cam are in order you can't see much behind you. The cab could use a rear window.

aleigh

I've never driven a cab-over before except a vw bus a couple of times and I had no real trouble with the turning. It's interesting offroading it on narrow roads. I kind of had to put myself cantilevered over the drop-off once on a narrow switchback. It's kind of like driving while sitting on the bumper but that's easy to imagine when you are doing it. Weirdly.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience with the Goodyears has been very good. Awesome traction off road in Miss sandy red clay muck dry or wet and very nice highway traction.
For me, It also piece of mind with the higher speed rating than other tires I looked at.

I think you did well and especially with new shoes, will be very happy!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, battery box mystery item on mkcoen's truck. What is this thing?

AGM rejuvination report: back two batts 12 volts. Front right at 11.5. Front left still straggling at 6 volts, but doing it's best to catch up. Crank attempt tomorrow!

Attachments

Last edited:

aleigh

I readily tear chunks out of my goodyear knobs offroading, the rocks I guess, and I've seen this happen on unimogs as well. Not sure if it's because the compound is relatively soft but the age of the tires probably doesn't help either.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck has one of those battery test gizmos too. Looks like the probe is intended to touch the electrolyte and light up to confirm level is ok. No touch: add fluid. (applicable to flooded cells only, obviously).

Bob

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter

AGM rejuvination report: back two batts 12 volts. Front right ar 11.5. Front left still straggling at 6 volts, but doing it's best to catch up. Crank attempt tomorrow!
Could that be the power supply hook up for the blue force tracker system?

FloridaAKM

Its an alien nasal/ear probe; designed to see if the driver has enough sense to figure out the battery system! My truck has the same little gadget & all the batteries seem to be fine. The truck cranked up fine with no problems, but I charged the batteries till the charger quit pumping in juice!

AGM rejuvination report: back two batts 12 volts. Front right at 11.5. Front left still straggling at 6 volts, but doing it's best to catch up. Crank attempt tomorrow!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks